Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

As I said, if you make it in you'll soon learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JohnSmith98

There's a number you can call on the public jobs message. I had a few issues and they were reasonably helpful although I don't think the people answering the phones actually do the vetting but they were helpful to me. Just call them.

The idea that some poor bloke with 200 forms to sift through and "vet" in a few weeks will track down the info seems laughable to me but at the same time I wouldn't want to chance it just in case. Just call the number and ask them. See what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Holden8993

Just wondering if anyone from batch 1 has heard anything back about vetting or form b process being successful or completed? Or will they even let ya know? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GT1234

I haven't heard anything since they postponed the start date.

• Advertisement

We have been given the 28th of November as a provisional date

That's what batch 2 were given initially. So presumably we've been bumped back at least a month then

I'd assumed so! I'd say you'll here soon enough about it

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

Unless we've been joined or partly joined together?...

Yeah I was thinking that but considering we have to go through the physical (next week) the medical and vetting November 28th seems a bit optimistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

As one Garda said to me "they can get it done as quick as they need to"

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭king999

Hi just did interview today last day of batch 3 … just wondering how long other batch’s had to wait for results ? ….. and also how people felt after interview ? were they confident felt mine was asked very detailed questions that even when having 2-3 examples for each was so detailed didn’t have a ready made example for question . Also wondering what pass rate is for interview if any one knows? as can tell getting paranoid 🙈

Result should be about 2 weeks. No idea on the pass rate. I thought I did pretty poorly and was right. Still passed though which is all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Cluedo93

@king999 I was in stage 3 and was told 4 weeks for results. I feel mine went very poorly to be honest. Will have to wait for results to see!

@JohnSmith98 so they give you an exact breakdown or how do you know you didn't do well if you passed? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Irishguy215702

just a few things for applicants to consider when applying for the guards and need to go into it with eyes open:

Pension: many people join thinking the pension is great. we get fed this from our parents who are basing it on their era from their age. anyone joining post 2013 the pension is disgraceful. you will get about 215-230 euro a week when you reture at 60, which is in line with the old age pension which everyone in none state jobs get. when you join a station you will quickly be told of this and advised to pay into your own AVC to supplement your poor garda pension. this fact is kept very quiet as it no doubt will affect peoples thinking when applying for this job and correctly so. the lump sum payment at retirement has also been slashed since 2013. nobody realises this and isnt publicised about in the media nor will you find it marketed by the guards as a reason to join as it doesnt exist anymore. people are walking in blind thinking great pension setting me up for life

Rosters: as you may have read rosters are under discussion. despite the current one proposed being rejected by the GRA for non core guards to be working 78 days extra a year working 7 days on, 2 days off, 7 days on 3 days off on 9 to 5 hrs, and lose thousands due to not working to non social hours. this new roster is still going live despite rejection from the people it affects most resulting in extra childcare fees due to working more days, fuel costs for travelling to work more often. management have power to do this without consent which is shocking in the day and age of work life balance and 4 day weeks being considered by private sector employers now.

Work: I appreciate many have wanted to be guards since childhood and want it desperately for whatever is their reasons. if its for the day to day work then be prepared that it is all paper work orientated. everything is reports, duplication and beurocracy which snows everyone under. helping decent people is actually rare who for the majority will rarely come into contact with guards in their lives but to get passports sorted etc. you will mainly be refereeing domestics with people who call you to get one over on an ex partner due to child custody or if its current partners they will later withdraw complaints but for it to start again further down the line, mental health persons which you are not trained to deal with, frauds which you will be beating your head off a wall trying to progress but cant due to banks delaying you and outside of this any other crimes tend to be between one low life against another one or wrestling with drunk lads on cold rainy nights out facing taking a punch or a kick.

morale is rock bottom in the job, people are resigning in their droves as they see the realities and the work load expected of them, the day of staying in the job until retirement is in the past now which used to be the case for sure. i know many will view this as overly negative summary of the job so what i would advise is before following through with it talk to others you know in the job and hear what they have to say first. i dont know anyone in it that would recommend it anyways.

@Irishguy215702 thanks very much for you insight. Just wanted to know if you are or were a guard? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya1

anyone here in the 1400s? I have not been called up for stage two yet.

They tell you exactly what points you got in each section. You need 25 points out of 50 in every section to pass

@JohnSmith98 Aw not bad! I thought it was just a simple pass or fail unless you requested the results. That's good so! Cheers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Irishguy215702

Still one

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nompixels

Thank you for the summary you wrote above it is insightful and detailed and very much appreciated, I was just wondering what motivates you to stay within the organisation and do you see a brighter future with the increased intake of personnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PJandmarymurp2022

Hi

Any word when batch 3 will hear back about interview. The process if really dragging out.

Any idea when intake to Templemore

Thanks

PJ

@PJandmarymurp2022 I was told 4 weeks for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ditser

I doubt it will be 4 weeks. I got my results one week after the last day of interviews. The last day for interviews for Batch 3 is this Friday 7th. Resukts should therefore be out Friday 14th. That's the way it was for Batch 1 and Batch 2 anyways

@Ditser ya I'm just going off what they told me. I didn't even ask them but the public jobs appointed note taker said at the end you're looking at 3-4 weeks for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Stretch1432

Irish guy speaks the truth I resigned from ags , the paperwork is too much and all the hours spent doing paperwork for someone to walk out of court with a suspended is a joke. The job has changed. You spend hours staring at a computer screen and end up having to do paperwork at home. Regular unit is a dumping ground where you get landed with everything it is not uncommon to have over 50 investigation s. Very demanding job and very stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

Thanks also for providing insight @Stretch1432. Out of interest, was AGS your first career or did you work at something beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭king999

Just out of interest in terms of benefits is there much over time or allowances that bring weekly wage up? And how does pension fair out ? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Stretch1432

Yes I was working in another public sector job. Just letting you know not trying to ruin your dream job.

Advertisement