Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

only have a 28kWh Ioniq so 3 hours is perfect for us really!

Heat pump consideration means we can't totally ignore any punitive day rates / peak rates - but if BG's peak is only 7.5c more than my EI all-day rate I think that's not bad considering I can target the wee hours for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Spoke to Energia today as I received an email telling me of my revised bill (1st EV tariff bill) but I can’t see the bill when I log into the website.

Another “error” on the website according to the operator that’s being fixed today, he could tell me the total but even he can’t see the bill.

The whole EV plan seems half baked by Energia, I don’t think they were prepared for the volume of new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They still haven't called me back and it's been 3 days. I have no idea what's going on with my account being set up.

Next time I call them I'm asking for a supervisor, it needs to be resolved that day. If something is going on behind the scenes I need to query it with ESB/GNI or whoever and that will take even more time. Who the **** knows what rates I'll be on now due to everyone else arsing around.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The EV plan has been about for about 2 yrs. (defs 18 months)

Only now that it has become actually feasible/best option. up until recently you would needed to be on about 80% night rate for it to be worth the higher day rate. (vs a traditional DN rate with energia)

The huge influx of new customers to it could have been an issue though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

Bord Gais seem to have dropped their free weekend and EV plans this morning, only their standard smart tariff shows up now.

New customer discount also gone from 32% to 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

That "free time at the weekend" - i mean yeah like lets work hard all week so that we can have a whole load of washing piled up so we can spend all day Saturday chained to the house to do the washing. Class.

And for that privilege we will pull your pants down for the rest of the week when you do try and use your electricity.

Oh and on top of that if you have dual fuel we will charge you a way higher price for your gas too for the entire week, when compared to the standard plan.

Amazing how advertising really does the job................... complete and utter scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Jaysus... Energia EV plan is now down to 10% discount and increased standard rates so a net price of 47.77, 13.75 c/kWh and apparently no longer fixed!!

I really hope my first bill honours the fixed rate I got a month ago!... 27.43/7.90 inc vat!!! 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

I really hope my first bill honours the fixed rate I got a month ago!... 27.43/7.90 inc vat!!! 🤞

There will be a queue of us at their door, metaphorically speaking, if they don't honour their rates. My first 1 month bill was as agreed..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I don't think that's the EV plan, but their standard new business day/night plan - and I agree, it's outrageous.

On the phone to them myself yesterday - very frustrating - customer care pushed me over to the sales team who began leading with that same tariff above until I reminded them the customer care team had "promised" me they would get me on the tariff I intended at the start of September before my switch was blocked by ESB Networks. Also when I queried those rates as being quite high for the EV plan I got the response...."OH YOU MEAN THE EV PLAN!!! My apologies, yes of course that's much lower....." but then couldn't tell me how much lower and that she had to check in with customer care again to be sure, and by the way it's now 5:01pm and customer care is closed so we will call you first thing in the morning to conclude this.

Needless to say, no call this morning. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Got my first bill, they honoured the 29.6c/8.9c rate(inc vat fixed) I signed up to on the 1st September, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Exactly. I'm on the EV plan since late March at 23.17c / 6.17c - absolutely savage pricing these days but I really did hmm and haw for weeks at the time as the day rate was so 'high'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

It seems a bit daft that Energia maintained the fixed rate at such "low" tariff rates until a few weeks ago. I wonder how many customers they have on the old fixed tariff i.e. hundreds, thousands? I said previously on here that the fixed tariff will save me about €1k over the next 12 months. This could be a potential loss to Energia of many hundreds of thousands or maybe into the millions.

Hopefully they just won't walk away from the fixed rate and take the bad press and potential legal action 😦

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I received my confirmation email from Energia today after signing up for the ev plan last week. The details in the email were wrong, showing the standard day/ night plan.

When I called they said there it was a problem on their system and that they were getting a load of calls from new customers.

I had to open a complaint with Energia and threaten the CRU before they backed down and and agreed what we had shook on at 27c/7c for the EV plan.

They originally listened to calls and just said "ah yeah sorry you were misinformed but nothing we can do, here's 30 quid credit though lol"

Once i threatened the CRU they changed their tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got this wonderful €250 estimated bill from Electric Ireland even though I'm supposed to be with Energia the last 2 weeks. I guess this solidifies the fact I'm not with Energia!

Previous bill pre-EV was around 220kWh for the 2 month period so not sure where they got a 750kWh estimate from. We used around 4kWh/day in Summer.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Its just getting worse and worse for you. All you can do now is provide an actual meter reading and see about getting that bill cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Did you make any headway with this? Which plan seems best for you?

Is it worth signing up to something now (finding the best of a bad bunch, tbh) or keeping still and wait (wishfully) for the CRU or European energy ministers to do something for the electricity market (if there's going to be something is that likely in the next 2-3 months)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I have had an awful time with Energia this past month, 3rd of September I went to switch to BG smart EV plan. Got a call from Energia, was offered the ~29c and ~9c D/N meter EV plan, that they would arrange to change out my meter and I would get deemed export FIT.

I got a month's worth of run around and the last call with Energia I lost it with their customer service, after being promised again and again on the tariff agreed they they finally told me that there was no way I could now get the rates that we agreed to when they offered what they did to sign me back up.

I was no longer bothered to fight anymore and just jumped back to BG's smart meter EV plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What prices are on that plan? I tried looking in the site but the site just keeps saying searching....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I got 32% discount, dont have figures with me right now but was something like below.

Night 22c

EV Night 9c

Day 33c

Peak 47c

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

I got a "smart" meter installed about a month ago and assumed it would be activated after this period (turns out that i need my supplier to activate it, but once "activated, there is no going back to a 24 hour plan). I'm sure that wasn't mentioned on the leaflet that was left after the install.. anyway, Is it possible to have my new meter programmed for D/N (MCC02)?

This "smart meter" roll out is a shambles...

Made zero progress - think we missed the BG offer that was worthwhile which looks like what Evd-Burner has posted above unfortunately

Unfortunately not. I had my smart meter removed and a DN installed

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

Eh. Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Have the same plan with the 32% discount. The exact figures are curently:

Day 0.3266

Peak 0.4554

Night 0.2463

EV Night 0.0833

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, it isnt. You can't get a smart meter and be an MCC02 Day/Night customer. You instead are an MCC16 smart meter customer and, while you may get cheaper rates at night, they are vast realms more expensive than a real Day/Night meter

Those night rates are criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Comer1

Unfortunately we could all be paying similar, "criminal" night rates next year. I for one am not looking forward to when my current EV rates with Energia finish next September😲

Advertisement