Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well for a start, you seem to be comparing when a candidate is eliminated in one system to when a candidate is elected in another...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IRV is just single seat STV. STV is just multi seat IRV.

STV has eliminations too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

For the voter, they put 1 against their first choice, 2 for the next and so on. That cannot be simpler - and requires very little understanding.

For the count in a single seat, as the UK use, then the votes are counted, spoiled votes are excluded and the total vote announced, with the quota being 50% rounded up. The votes are then assigned to the number ones, with the highest number checked to see if it exceeds the quota. If not, the lowest candidate is eliminated. This continues until one candidate is left or the leading candidate exceeds the quota.

Excess votes over the quota are irrelevant as there is only one seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes. Somebody is going to have to back down. Wonder who it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It has to be truss, the BOE are literally just doing their job and they cant keep propping up her mistakes and economic illiteracy. If nobody blinks then on monday pension funds will implode and mortgage burden rates will likely go higher than they were in the 80s, its unsurvivable politically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd love to know what Truss thought would happen with this mini budget. She and her cabinet are Dunning Kruger's each but even idiots have intent. There was presumably some Best Case scenario, even if it was to enable donors to make away like bandits - though smarter schemers would hide it better than this lot.

Mind you, Ockham's Razor simply says: they're idiots existing high above their station, and made a colossal mistake, and lack the humility or nous to claw it back with any degree of dignity. But failing that: I'm sure they had a thought pattern somewhere that rationalised this a s "good idea".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its the effect of an idealogy hitting reality. The think tanks have been pushing this sort of nonsense for years. And in theory, it all makes sense. If X number of millionaires produce this amount of jobs, then increasing the number of millionaires will obviously lead to more jobs! Simples.

But it all falls down when it has to deal with the complexity of real life. Who funds the shortfall while this changeover happens? How can you claim to be in cost of living crisis, and thus having to rightly provide additional support for everyone, and at the same time purposely reduce the tax take.

Truss was facing into probably the toughest inbox ever facing an incoming PM. Cost of living crisis, inflation, Ukraine, Brexit, NIP etc. But she decided that the only ay to deal with any of it was to push the emergency button and hope for the best. Hubris and a lack of understanding did the rest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Truss. The Bank of England are fully independent. They don't care who's in No. 10 beyond the effects it has on their job. Tory leaders are getting more and more replaceable. Thank feck Brown made it independent in 1997 or who knows where we'd be now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

@Pete_Cavan @L1011 @Sam Russell Nice one, knew I had something wrong, I have a memory like a sieve.

Another remarkable day in which Truss paints herself even tighter into her corner, and makes clear that her only strategy is to keep painting. The 1922 committee meeting with MPs this evening went badly from reports on the radio, and comments from people leaving the meeting. Looking more and more like she is going to end up with no option but to ditch all the tax cuts and sack her chancellor (which still leaves a £20bn shortfall).

Remarkable stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Plus as gilt prices go up, the cost of borrowing goes up which in turn gives her less fiscal space to close the gap between income and expenditure. She's going to have to reverse her tax cuts and actually increase tax and cut spending.

Not doing this will cause the finances to spiral further out of control

I reckon HS2 is toast, but that's not going to be enough in the immediate term to cover the funding gap.

She'll need to swallow her pride and increase taxes,but if she chooses to target the poor with increases or cuts there will be riots on the street.

She needs to go to the OBR and act on their recommendations. its probably her only way out of the mess she's made for herself.

Id guess the same for HS2 unfortunately, it would be incredibly shortsighted and honestly if it does get chopped will any large public infrastructure ever happen in the UK again?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,973 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Isn't there a TBM in the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And giant holes at Euston and Curzon Street (Birmingham) etc.

I believe it was HS2 works that cut the fibre that took down Aer Lingus a few weeks ago

I love how the presenter apologised if anyone was offended by the word bollox, but the very sound of Moggs voice is infinitely more offensive than that word could ever be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was going to say; surely the HS2 is too SUnk Cost at this stage to back out & cancel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Under a normal government, yes. It's funny. I was reading Tim Leahy's books about Irish politics recently and he commented that TD's love to brag when they get constructions projects for their constituencies but here it's the opposite. I'd say it'll be an easy way for Truss to placate some of her backbenchers.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Surely at this stage you know the tories will do and say anything no matter how stupid or short sighted it is?

• Advertisement

independent analysis was done a couple of years ago and found it would be as expensive to scrap HS2 now, and pay off all the broken contracts, than to finish it. Labour would absolutely make hay with a cancelled HS2.

It probably would but the tories dont care about reality they just want to be seen to be doing something and their attitude is "we must do something, this is something, lets do this" without caring for the actual effect, so I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped HS2 and claimed it saved money.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,171 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

One of my highlights of the week

King Charles greets Liz Truss with: ‘Back again? Dear, oh dear’

This is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

One wonders if the weekly meetings with an unelected head of state will end under Liz Truss. If he keeps embarrassing her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yes, I think it's highly likely that the weekly meetings with this particular PM could end pretty soon to save the country further embarrassment.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If the goal is for Liz to stop being embarrassed then she'll need to stop doing anything at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like a "promote to House of Lords" moment coming her way then...

Yeah, those law suits would happen in the future, they need to so something now

They've been backing themselves into tighter and tighter corners for years, letting the future pay the dept of current fudges.

Unfortunately, when they do collapse, the next government will be the one who has to clean up the mess, and you can be guaranteed that the tories will use their entire time in opposition blaming labour for the messes they caused, and you can be guaranteed that the Press and right wing talk radio in the Uk will get behind them. the next administration will be non stop exercise in gaslighting of the people by the corrupt media and the Tories

There is nothing we have seen in the past decade that should give us confidence that the British public won't see through it, or that the labour party will do what they need to block the Tories from getting back into power at the next election (PRSTV electoral reform)

I'm going to disagree a bit, though I do agree with most of what you say.

It seems to be a general pattern in many countries that a left-of-centre government will fix problems and make sound decisions before handing power to corporatists who strip the state, destroy the finances and then blame it all on the previous government.

Fixing the voting system is the one way the UK gets out of this pit. We're seeing a demographic shift away from the largely toxic boomer generation who care only about cruelty and material gain. We're seeing a younger generation that is both demanding and taking bold action on inequality, climate change and racism. The response from previous generations is nothing short of contempt but their hold on power is cracking.

The question isn't whether or not Labour can afford to enact a form of PR, it's whether they can afford not to. If they keep FPTP, they risk sharing the fate of the old Liberal party. In Keir Starmer, we have someone who presents a realistic alternative to Truss & Co who looks like they'll govern from the centre.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm not sure if she's capable of being embarrassed.

She seems oblivious to just how embarrassing her short reign as PM has been already.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement