Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Already done more than double what I got yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,079 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same here, just past 7kWh so far. Pulling 5kW at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yesterday was the worst day ever and suffice to say worst day of the month at 4.3

Today, best day of the month. I'll finish up with 17kw on the button

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lol, clouds rolled in as the EV and water were both maxed, 31kWh with small bit more to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Yesterday I could only manage 0.3 kWh. Today, 12.8. That is some difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

Same for me. Muck yesterday and a belter today. It's like the weather gods are whispering to me 'you needdddddd a battery'. The logical part of me is saying 'spend the money elsewhere, or don't spend it at all'. But I'm torn still :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭allinthehead

2.3kwh yesterday and 11.4kwh today from my 4.8kwp. At least my self consumption went up yesterday :) AC coupled battery in the pipeline now as my self consumption is only averaging 30%. 3 more panels also planned to be mounted vertically on the back of the house as neighbors house is blocking the sun early in the mornings, will help production at this time of year.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

just be aware that you'll get feck all from vertically mounted panels in the summer unless you angle them out from the wall 20-30 deg. Winter it doesn't matter too much as long as they are south facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

West Clare - 6.1kw system S / WSW Panels. 16.6kWh today - sun nearly out all day.

Thanks, I've worked it out as roughly 700 kwh per year with a good spread across the year. For example 73 kwh for August and 57 kwh for October. Calculating about 5 year payback time.

☀️

• Advertisement

I've got two myself installed there over the summer on my shed wall.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ur2823200z7uvs/2022-08-04%2011.18.59.jpg?dl=0

Plan is to make them more flush with the wall now that the sun is lower on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

I'd hold off on a battery - but thats just my own personal approach. I spent nothing upfront as it was a SAAS i got. So I will just sit back and watch the bills go down for a whole year - especially now that the FIT will kick in soon.

Battery is a "nice to have" more than a necessity for me.

If I had a new build, it would be a totally different story - and I would be more inclined to be as off grid as I possibly could - being self sufficient with full EV charging capability to manage 2 x EVs with approx 50k kms between the two.

I know that would be some amount of extra panels - but it's definitely worth it for a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

What is the average PV production per day annually for the 9kw system?

Just trying to run some sums of the payback period.

Depends a little on the orientation, plug in the numbers you want at....

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP%20that's%20the%20calculator%20for%20Europe,

and it will give you a break down by month.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd second that link bullit_dodger. It's a good monthly predictor.

Going on a day basis can be too variable especially this time of year. One day could be 3, next day could be 20 depending on weather. (8.6kwp here NE/SW low slope)

But thats my average per day for 2022. Oct-Dec is 2021 numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sligopaul

17.3kwh yesterday 6.6kw system, SE facing , Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Would a battery not give you a good payback even on its own by taking advantage of the ultra low night rate to charge and discharge during peak 5-7 pm.

I'm looking into getting a 7kw system & want to get some size battery along with it too.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to use the battery as a backup if there was a power cut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

To answer the second question first.

Yes as a back up, but not for the entire house, just for a select line, so think of it as an extension lead from a gererator. You plug in a line fro that to the house.

The battery, well, I'm getting one but it's a choice to balance day production of solar out for the whole day.

They were better value before there was no feed in tariff, but now when depending on supplier you're getting no less than 14cent per unit back, it lengthens the payback.

A 5 kw battery holds under 5 units, but for argument sake we will say 5 units

5 units at lowest tariff is 12 cent v day rate at 40 cent is a saving of 1.40 per charge.

Now subtract the feed in tariff price you would have got if you gave it back to the grid of 5 units at 14cent is 60 cent.

So you're saving 80 cent a charge.

Now this is where my math gets very ropey.. you won't need to do this all year as you will have probably full solar use during the summer for most of the day but let's say you used the battery full capacity at 300 days a year, your annual payback is 240 euro

Best price on a decent 5kw battery is about 2500 euro, so that 10+ year payback for a battery that has a 10 12 14 year lifespan.

Some batteries have a life cycle rate of 8000, others 10000.

Others may calculate it differently, but for sure, if the option is more panels v battery go panels for sure becaise the payback is much quicker and you buy alot of panels for 2500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Excellent write up, deserves to be in the FAQ.

Slight change:

÷ batteries are not built to die after 10k+ cycles, but will have reduced capacity

+ source a cheaper battery and reduce payback time, like DIY option

+ formula changes if you have a day night meter because you are paid deemed export rather an measured (so you get paid same amount wether you store energy or not, export or not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

A very poor 9kwh yesterday and Met estimates at 7kwh today. Dropped 13kwh into the battery over-night to avoid any of the day rate non-sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Has anyone noticed that the solis reports are overstating your generation when you charge your battery from the grid.

For example i charged my battery last night by 9kwh.

At the moment the yield for today is 1 kwh.

The generation in the report says 9Kwh but the tield is only 1kwh.

Ive seen this before on other days where i charged from the grid. It seems to catch up iof the yield goes above the amount you charged by, but otherwise it doesnt.

This error seems to carry through to the monthly and yearly generation reports. Generation value is including the battery charging from the grid. On low usage days I can see it going back as far as my solis generation reports go.

It looks to me like all of the electricity solis says we generating is overestimating it by up to hundreds of kwh when you add up the days you charge from the grid but get hardly any solar.

Can you show example and what app? Mine doesn't seem to be that way. I charged last night but yield is still very low for today

Can post screenshots. Its in the soliscloud app.

If you look at generation it includes the kwh you charged from the grid during the night. Yield is correct and doesnt include that.

But in the daily, monthly and yearly reports it includes the generation figure, no the yield figure, making them overstate what you are really generating. It seems to correct itself during the day, bu only if the yield goes to more than you charged the battery by.

For instance, mine at the moment says yield 6kwh, generation 10kwh.

It is 100% happening, will send Solis an email on this as it skews everything.

There you go for today:

2.6kwh generated not 12kwh

It looks like i havent generated as much as i thought i generated over the winter months :(

Hmm comparing with the HA data for this month it's about the same though:

So maybe it's only wrong for the current day?

Is this an issue with how its represented in the APP, the webpage and the orginal Solis Home App?

At the end of the day - i seem to be getting the correct end of month totals - but I can see what you are talking about. I usually check all three sources against my solis display - sometimes i see different graphs. But I dont think my monthlies are wrong at all - and i charge 5/night in winter (about half that now).

I just doubel checked the ogrginal Solis Home app and its bang on.

Yeah I checked against last year when I wasn't charging the battery from grid and the values do match.

Could be it updates correctly as it gets into the next day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I'm with SSE and looking at their renewal discount which is offering 42c Day and 26c Night rates (with 14c FIT).

Energia (EV Rate) is Day 47.77 / Night 13.75 / FIT 18

Am I right in thinking that this is the best current rate for this scenario?

(i.e. charging battery at night scenario)

Post edited by simpsimp on

Advertisement