Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I imagine the judge will throw the book at them and impose a severe suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Nail on the head. Ridiculous judicial system we have.

Anything less than attempted murder and GBH would be a joke

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cf the video someone posted in the journalism and cycling thread, about the case in the UK where a driver knocked a cyclist down and punched him unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If I remember correctly they had a previous conviction for doing the same thing before as well.

Things are starting to get pretty bad here in terms of 'anti-cyclist' rhetoric, but it's a different ball game altogether in the UK these days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, whaddya know; an uneventul 32km spin, until about 3 or 4km from home - when a taxi driver drove out in front of me. and it was at the side of the airport.

i was almost all the way through this junction and he pulled out from the left, in front of me, with about 2m to spare. stared at me impassively when we both reached the next set of lights.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4171993,-6.2659726,3a,75y,168.82h,88.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVl7jz7ItbIcFN8FPdvBWsg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DVl7jz7ItbIcFN8FPdvBWsg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D76.54344%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

then cycling downhill through ballymun, i was in the middle lane and the guy driving the bus to my left indicated and pulled out into my lane very possibly not knowing i was there. he'd have easily been able to see me in his wing mirror though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I love how taxi drivers always seem to get a slap on the wrist because they have to provide for their family and a ban would stop them from doing this, but the fact they abuse cyclists, drive like they want proves need to be put in line especially because their families depend on it. They need to be held to a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You'll be pleased to hear he's not a taxi driver any more.

He's now working as a courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

That verdict is one of the worst I've seen in a long time. Reduced to basically nothing presumably because of the mitigating circumstances mentioned, although what they are is anyone's guess based on the news article I read: basically his father (a 51+ year old's father) died shortly after the incident...so **** what. It's not often I get annoyed about things like this but this is a big one, because something similar happened me before in Blanch years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

With sound for full effect. Glad I didn't have the little one on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Some clatter, impressed to managed to stay upright. Were there much "afters", not sure I've have held the cool in that situation and would have waited or looped back.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Yeah, I was lucky to stay up. No afters. I stopped a few metres further up just to compose myself as my legs had gone a bit wobbly from the fright. The very kind cyclist behind stopped to check I was okay. No interaction from the driver. I did wait, expecting them to check on me but my back video shows they took an immediate right turn instead. I presume they dropped the passenger on the other side of the road (where there's a luas stop) and then drove off. I did hear the driver scream at the passenger not to open the door as it happened but it was too late. It wasn't malicious but obviously wreckless. Hopefully a lesson learned for them although they really should have checked rather than driving away.

I had a terrible experience on that road last month, which prompted me to put the cameras back on the bike. A driver did a close pass laying on the horn and then a deliberate closer pass further up the road in wet conditions. That one was terrifying. Again, I'm just glad my kid wasn't on the back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

None of this will start to change until the driving test and theory test teaches people the dutch reach

no idea what the preceding events were, but i just passed a car pulled up outside a local school (secondary school) with hazards on, and the driver out and standing with a couple of schoolkids, with a bike lying on the footpath with a snapped fork.

could easily have been the motorist stopping because they saw the student come a cropper, rather than a actual collision; that would have been a rather unpleasant and unexpected surprise.

suspension fork, snapped just where the tines meet the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

--where the tines meet the crown.

Interesting use of the word tine.

yeah, i'm not sure what the usual terminology would be.

an aside, i don't like the use of the word 'forks' because it's a fork, and 'front fork' is a tautology in a sense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They're seemingly called blades (per Wikipedia)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm sticking with prong!

Tines are for leaf rakes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Took a slightly longer route on my way home via Slade Hill beside Saggart. In thr 38km or so, I lost count of the number of drivers that performed lazy overtakes where they didn't bother moving out far enough and in time. I don't think they were malicious- just lazy.

However, coming down the hill which is a narrow road, maybe barely wide enough for two cars, a van driver passes me and immediately starts braking. Whilst he didn't indicate, I guessed that he wanted to turn into a house on the right but there was a van coming out so he just stopped there on the road. As I walked the bike past his passenger side, I told him that it was a stupid overtake given he was immediately going to brake. His passenger thought it was a good opportunity to tell me how sure I shouldn't be travelling in the middle of the road anyhow!!!

Closer to home and with the Westerly wind behind me, I was travelling from Hazelhatch towards Leixlip and comjng towards the junction kind of opposite to The Orchard Garden Centre when I encountered the cretin in the following video.

Conscious of my crude language and that there isn't much point reporting dangerous overtaking to the gardai, this one is simply going to get filed away in my YouTube account...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would report that.. Why not. Garda should have a word with him about the manner of his driving and what he did after the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

I know others who have tried to make reports like this only to be told swearing loudly is a public order offense.

I'm not sure what the Garda consider an apropriate response to almost being murdered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He says wanker in such a nice tone, if you didn't know the word you'd swear he was saying something nice.

Overtaken by a 05 car, on a bend where the oncoming bus was already visible. I dropped anchor, as did the bus. Car then pulled in to their house about 5 seconds up the road. I pulled in on the far side, waited for them to get out (which took an age). Then asked was this where they were rushing too. They looked confused. I muttered an explanation of why it was careless driving but before I'd even finished I'd given up. They didn't know or care what had went wrong, there will be no punishment unless they hit something and even then, it would be an inconsequential punishment. I just gave up caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It depends on the Garda.. That is only used when a garda does not want to do their job. A simple question to ask is: We're there kids around or people to get offended, Gaurd?

Some Garda are just hopeless, uncaring and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

I know that the video I submitted to Celbridge station was full of effing and blinding, and they took it all the way to court.

Admittedly, it did take them a year, but they did not give coarse language as an excuse to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Swearing doesn't change the fact he ran a stop sign. I'd argue the dangerous overtake/close pass too but as a cyclist is involved in that part they'd likely ignore that aspect of it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Guy skimmed me on a downhill to the point if I was less confident I'd be over the bars. Caught him at the bottom of the hill and he genuinely had no idea what I was on about. It wasn't malice, it wasn't intentional, he just couldn't see the issue. I was quite calm and he just waved it away with a "go away out of that". Young fella but with the mindset of an auld lad in the 50s dismissing the little women. Awhile ago I would have went full rage, instead I just shrugged and said, learn how to drive and cycled off. He had caught up with traffic so I imagine he was still at the same set of lights when I was getting off my bike a few minutes later.

Is there any point even complaining, no one in Dublin gives a flying f*ck. Cars flying up the bus lane. One driver ran a red and cut off a taxi driver, didn't give a hoot. Another appeared to be knocking one out while using his phone on the Rock road in rush hour traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Going to turn right here, check behind & car far enough back, move to middle of lane stick my arm way out & start to move, cnut in his poxy bmw decides to overtake at this point, giving me filthies as he does so. I think the motorist behind slowed way back on seeing what was happening. Thankfully had my wits about me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I had the same on the quays to turn right at the Samuel Beckett bridge. A taxi who had just dropped someone off (and I had to leave the "cycle lane"), came racing up behind me (to the red light) and shouted "bloody cyclists think you own the road" at me after I got into the right turn lane.

Advertisement