Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland vs Ireland, Women's World Cup Play-Off Final, RTE 2, 8pm k.o.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well done ladies, fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ah we have already been in 2 with the men unless you mean particularly the ladies team then yes, this was great and they really deserved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Big exhale!! Brilliant!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great result 👏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Well we've been to three but that was 20 years ago, could have worded it better alright 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Perfect night really. Great to see Vera Pauw happy after the year she had; the Donegal woman, Amber Barrett, scores and pays tribute to her county; Courtney Brosnan, who took a lot of flak for mistakes in the last campaign, saves a penalty.

Also delighted for Katie McCabe who has been a great captain for the side. You can't help but like this team.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I for one will be shamelessly jumping on the bandwagon next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fantastic achievement to make the World Cup!

Nice touch to give Tony O'D a jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

3 I did I forget America where we beat England and Saipan damn I am getting old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Still trying to figure out if we qualified or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In reality, the keeper is player of the match but I don't begrudge Amber that award for one second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Brosnan was some snakey bollix tonight. Every ball she caught at the end she made sure she hit someone and went down. Exactly what we needed.

Obviously the penalty as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Brilliant night in Glasgow. Absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Super defensive performance. Goal taken brilliantly with a super first touch. O'Sullivan, Fahey or Brosnan should have won POTM, never Barrett, bar the goal which is obviously huge, she was poor, didn't get near the ball and when she did it invariably rebounded off her.

Great tactical job by Pauw. Well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Barrett came on 6 minutes before she scored and it was all about parking the bus after that so what the sweet fk do you mean by poor ?

PotM no but poor definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Some job by Pauw. Delighted for her. Not sure what George Hamilton was on about at start of commentary, but Bert Van Lingen, her husband, was assistant manager at Rangers to Advocaat, not Craig Brown at Scotland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well done. Great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Amazing news to wake up to. So delighted for all of players and staff!

It's really annoying the world Cup is going to be in Australia though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

She took the goal brilliantly but in fairness, she wasnt all that great apart from the actual goal so didnt really deserve player of the match.

Great achievement by the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Great achievement by this squad well done to all involved..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been nothing but heartache for past 5 years in trying reach tournament's in both codes.

Fair play to Girls for lifting the country. Beautiful to see a Donegal lady get winner after all that is happened. If ya cant be happy for that alone best not watch or hear about it.

I don't think many will get too caught up on the PotM award. It was a cracking goal and the emotion surrounding it was huge. Brosnan was my PotM but who really cares in light of the fantastic result and qualification.

Very honest and humble interview by Pauw afterwards, delighted for her and her team.

Calm down. As the front player she couldn't keep the ball for even a few seconds to take any pressure off the midfield and defense. The ball came to her maybe 4/5 times around 75-85mins and every time her control and touch was non existent, to the point of giving the ball straight back to the Scots.

Not having a go at her, they're just facts. She took her goal brilliantly with, ironically, a superb first touch. Roche's choice of her as POTM was just bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

COYGIG !!!!

What a night for Womens football.......

Vera Pauw will be as adored as Big Jack was/is ....

Roll on the World Cup !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sekond

Fabulous result - and there's some serious hero worship going on this morning from my 11 year old goalkeeper daughter who is telling everyone who will listen (and a few who really don't want to!) that Brosnan should have got PoTM. Her goalkeeper gloves went into school with her today too.

It will be great to see an Irish side in a World Cup again. (I was in Japan in 2002, and I'd be heading to Aus/NZ for this one if the flights weren't so eye-watering).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

If you want to be 100% fair, look back at how many times she made the Scottish backs turn back and have to play backwards, especially after the board went up for 6 minutes. She was one vs 3 for all the time she was on. I agree that the POTM was a stretch, but on the night that it was, with the back story that was there, and with the history that will forever be linked to that one, superbly taken strike, I really don't think it's worth arguing over, to be honest.

Absolutely not worth arguing about and as I said I'm not taking anything away from her, brilliant for the goal just lacked in overall play for me. The faux outrage at saying it was just over the top for me. Last I'll be saying on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

What song were they singing in the dressing room? Just reported on SKY that they have issued an apology to anyone that might have offended.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The ball was normally booted past her in a rushed clearance rather than with any sort of finesse

• Advertisement

Unfortunate that an apology has had to be made by the FAI about the singing of "up the Ra" in the dressing room.

It really is brain-dead to be signing such and has taken a good bit of gloss from the overall feel good factor.

Oh no. They sang a bad song. It's says the word RA.

Not the cleverest thing to do but ffs there's bigger issues in the world than a women's team saying a word.

In Scotland too. One of the most bigot countries in Europe. Some of those complaining probably sing the Billy Boys every weekend.

Great to see the girls celebrating. Fair **** to them. Fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hardly.

The biggest achievement ever for an Irish team in the women's game and it's got a three page thread on boards.

Despite the huge push the media are now giving the women's soccer team and women's team sport generally, it doesn't seem to be sticking with the public, sadly.

Is it not a bit weird though? Win probably the most important games in their careers and their first thought is to start singing pro IRA / anti Brit songs.

Im a Brit, wouldn’t say I’m personally offended as I have lived in Ireland long enough to know there is a strong under current of it, but I still always find it really odd, even more so considering half of these players make their living in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I like them even more now. Hope they have a great World Cup, will be cheering them on.

This will be massive for me women's soccer, and I think the general public will really get on board when the WC comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great win - the song was Celtic symphony - thers always been a close association between Irish soccer team and Celtic , and game was in Glasgow . probably just an emotive reaction, with no harm intended , but no doubt the Daily Mail will be in Brexit outrage mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Not all people interested are on Boards though ?

Once the WC rolls around next summer youll see......

*Even though my daughters U17 Nat lge team had training last night at the same time of the match..... I asked the question is training going ahead even though it clashes with the playoff -Ans : yes, training at 8pm.

Some people !?! !!! 🙄 I told her she was missing training , and we sat down and watched the game!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Should have told the gowl from Sky to get f*cked. Won't hear a peep come poppy season or anytime James McClean gets abused about possible education needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It probably wasn't their first thought and I doubt it was the only song they sung. I'm sure there were a few Fields of Athenry, We Are The Champions, Ole Ole Ole, and a dozen others from the soccer playlist. But the one they were stupid to sing is the one that gets noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Of course it will and it's a huge promotion opportunity too - and rightly so. The question is around the hyperbole of the language above: as adored as big Jack was. It won't even come close.

You have threads here for nothing friendlys with a weak men's team at a particularly low ebb that have threads of multiple of the length given to this historic win.

The truth is the team didn't fill Tallaght the last time they played (and that was a big game for them) despite it being talked about as a sell out. The interest isn't that great despite what RTE, the IT and OTB might lead you to believe.

That isn't to besmirch or downplay the massive achievement - it's more of a commentary on the disconnect between media and reality.

Ridiculous. Being questioned by the Brit media responsible for pushing the poppy fascism fest year after year after year and bullying and abusing those who don't comply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what a dreadfiul interviewer , stoking it up . I'd love if she had quite rightly walked of air.

Do you think the annual poppy fascism fest is a bit weird? Why is overt British nationalism accepted and actually pushed to the point that they end up with brexit but the Irish women's team sing a song referencing the out of commission IRA get jumped on.

• Advertisement

The IRA hasn't even existed during a lot of these players lifetimes. I bet a few singing it know little about the history of northern Ireland at all.

People sing this stuff in the moment. These days these in the moment pieces are captured with the inevitable video capturing person, and uploaded for likes. Then the holier than thou twitter mob get all offended etc.

Imo, givens Britain history, they haven't a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about something so trivial. Maybe those complaining online should do some research. Probably not a discussion for this forum though. :)

Absolutely the poppy thing is really weird, when I was at school an old war veteran would come around and sell poppies, if you wanted one you bought it and if you didn’t no one cared, there was a certain dignity about it I guess! The whole poppy fest now is bizarre and I have no issue with anyone not wearing one, I wouldn’t choose to wear myself one now as it’s not really about the war anymore, just a load of morons thinking we defeated hitler on our own with no help whatsoever.

I would consider these types ignorant if I was being polite, I would think the same of the Irish team singing IRA songs, just why bother, it’s stupid to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Who said it was their firs thought, stop exaggerating.

Biggest shame is that they needed to apologise for it, no idea why we seem to be embarrassed about our history and culture on this Island.

Fair play girls and fcuk the begrudgers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Bit stupid someone in the dressing room filming it and posting it online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Advertisement
Advertisement