Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think you have to bypass sandyford and go higher up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I think this would be key - I know that someone earlier mentioned that they had suggested to Bjorn to test with a Sept deliver M3 and he did a very thorough video on that.

It would be somewhere higher than Sandyford that this would need to be escalated, and (with all due respect to Boards) it would need to be somewhere that more visible public noise could be made about it that will likely see results (Not sure of where that would be: Tweet Elon?, EV press or wide visibility blogs like Teslerati / Electrek, etc?)

If it makes any difference, I cancelled one of my LR orders this year.

I ordered in Feb, cancelled in august around delivery time.

Sandyford and Irish CS said I can’t get refund even though I bout an M3P from inventory.

I emailed CS in the UK and refund was done within 3 days.

ContactUK@tesla.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭reni10

There is a post on Tesla Motors Club too and there are posts on Reddit and tweets to Elon Musk to ask him why the buffer is so big too but no further comment from Tesla.

And I completely agree that Sandyford is too low in the chain but to actually get this in front of someone in Tesla that can do something is proving very difficult.

Anyone got some email addresses for people in Tesla HQ that we could target and highlight this to?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

100% to 50% awhile ago, 26kwh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

The problem is that Tesla are well aware about what's going on here. Very well aware of it. All the cloak and daggers they have surrounding their batteries and the total lack of transparency around them is the exact reason that allows them to do whatever they want, like this.

It's extremely dishonest behaviour

But as they have such a cult following the masses just bow to them without question.

People on here and one in particular on the TMC forum actively defending Tesla and being pure apologists for them, is scary. They will spend plenty of time blindly defending them rather than try and actually take time to properly look at the issue.

Be careful with that efficency - you might actually hit the EPA!

IMPRESSIVE

But yeah another 52kWh'er to add to fhe list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

why the buffer is so big

For me that is the important question. Why did Tesla decide the need for this buffer. If it is for calibration purposes it is very possible it will revert back to the original size. There was a case on the earlier deliveries when the car remained without power even with the display saying 4% left or something like that. Would this increased buffer protect drivers from such issues. Are the LFP batteries dropping the energy suddenly towards the lower limit and they need to see their behavior? Unrelated but when I got my car I couldn't charge faster than 140 kW, then 170 kW and later on reached 237kW. It is kinda known they do this with new chemistries. Would it be possible they do the same with buffers and release them based on the driving patterns/usage?

I mean its 100% to do with protecting the battery. I'd say some of the early cars had some bad experiences as the LFP completely died and was unrecoverable

Grand

But be up front about it. And why not alter existing cars via software update? Why just new one

And finally if u are going to do that then reduce the displayed range of 100% to zero.

It's just trying to pull the wool over customers eyes. They knew they had to address the battery buffer but did it in a completely dishonest manner. Someone high up made the decision and it will all come out I hope in time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've not heard of any LFP battery failures, Telsa battery failures are related to water egress and bad packs, no buffer increase will mitigate against those.

A bad pack is a write off in Tesla's eyes, just look at the new Y structural battery pack, they've flooded the battery pack in pink hard foam to seal it from water, anything goes wrong in those packs and it's 100% a write off as the pink stuff makes recovery near impossible.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I think this is the reason why Tesla don't advertise battery size, they're constantly tweaking things.

Take for example I have a 2021 Dec M3P which to the best of my knowledge has a 82 KwH Panasonic battery,

but earlier 2021 M3Ps had a 75Kwh battery & newer 2022 cars have a different 75Kwh battery unit also which are slower from 100-200km/hr.

Personally if it doesn't make a hugh difference to your everyday driving don't sweat about it, they'll probably update the software in a few months

to reduce the buffer size.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭speedfreak

Some nice software updates today particularly the energy app. More stats!

I totally understand what you are saying but all of the range stats are completely off as its comparing apples and oranges.

If they simply reduced the 0-100% range to reflect accurately what was available then at least the stats would tie together.

Take for example the energy app and the tesla app itself. It's all over the shop because of the inconsistencies. Anyone taking the stats at face value are being completely mugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭speedfreak

Interestingly there are also more details on supercharger sites eg how busy at certain times but shows different pricing off peak. Peak is 6am to 11pm though!

For those that don’t have this buffer issue, are the app states more accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Not really, this issue needs to be kept in the spotlight for all prospective purchasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 theknightbg

What are deivery waiting times if you order now? I am looking at a model 3lr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

It you place an order now, estimated delivery is between Jan -Mar 2023. However if you look at existing inventory, you could pick on up now if it matches the config you are looking for.

You could have any of these pretty much immediately as they are all sitting in Dublin at this point.

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/inventory/new/m3?TRIM=LRAWD&arrangeby=relevance&zip=&range=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Got the new update today. The new energy app showed no data so I’m hoping it’s because less than 24 hours have gone by so it doesn’t have anything to base it off.

As said above the figures will be skewed with the car having 52 usable. Here we go again..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Perhaps it’s getting to the stage that for those of us with earlier deliveries of 2022 RWD we should hold off on updates until we are sure it does not include the mad buffer rate (same as 2019 Model S 85 fiasco)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The LFP batteries don't have as good cold weather performance as NMC/NCA and their discharge curve towards the end is less predictable. On the positive side the power delivery is very consistent until the end and they are more durable. I suspect a firmware upgrade sometime in the future will optimize the buffer on the current cars especially if the battery underwent some design changes in Q3. I reckon the cell limitations of the pre Q3 60 kWh battery in colder weather got too close to the comfort seen as somebody said a car had ran out with 4% indicated.

The LR cars got more capacity recently while the RWD seem to have gone down in capacity as well as performance. Alternative theory of mine is that this a ploy to steer people towards the more expensive LR as the range of the RWD was getting uncomfortably close to more expensive variant thus reducing the demand of the LR below Tesla's capacity of building them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭wassie

Possible also there may be an incentive to tweaking the buffer in order to preserve battery health over the longer term, which reduces the potential for battery warranty issues also?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭wassie

I've held of simply because to avoid Tesla-vision as I dont want the hassle of the high beam & wipers issues as it gets darker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Spotted my total range has dropped from 490 odd to 430 this morning after full charge.

It was cold thos morning so ignored it but its warmer now and range hasn't increased. Was there anything in the software update that would have increased the buffer size by any chance?

2k km done to date sp would have expected buffer to have sorted itself out by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

That's a serious drop to what sounds like what the actual capacity should be based on what recent owners reported above. Were there any firmware upgrades or did it just happen now that weather suddenly got cold? It was only about 3 degrees where I live this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

It's 14c now and no increase from 4c earlier.

I know cold temp drops range but hard to call 14c cold, sure its a fine day out there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

at this time of year the battery will only properly 'warm up' if you either drive the car, or precondition it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭reni10

Do you have a September delivered RWD?

If so I would say you have a 7kWh buffer now like many others on here that are reporting it and thus your "usable" range for 100-0% has now dropped by about 10%+!

Advertisement