Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job losses in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm guessing that this thread did not go the way that the OP had hoped.

• Well the over-reliance on tech companies bolstering up the economy is about to become quite evident, and a bit more diversity is needed. Yes the future of most things is AI & Machine Learning, I’m very well aware of that and particularly interested in it. Much talent will have to be imported as I’m not sure we have anywhere near enough native talent of sufficient standard although there are affordable EU funded learning opportunities which seem to get get precious little publicity here. There needs to be a policy of finding other ways also to support the economy.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well that's one more off the electricity grid....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

They were not able to convince the Central Bank to give a license.

They've had some issues in the UK where their controls have show there is an unacceptable high risk and also have had several warnings about their lack of regulatory foresight in Lithuania.

I think the CB called this well as Revolut seem to stick two fingers at regulation elsewhere

https://www.ft.com/content/6e7bca1a-f43a-45f1-a684-1f6cf1415e2c

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Revolut never entered Dublin, but nonsense threads need clickbaity titles.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

• Showed very poor diligence in Ireland, failed to file company returns too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh the joy the OP and others seem to have at the loss of high tax paying jobs. What a wonderful world it will be for the OP and others when all these high paying jobs are gone and all these people who were paying large amounts of tax are on the dole. What a Utopia.

I can taste the jealousy-induced bile here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

In fairness the vast majority of people on this thread are in wholehearted disagreement with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

True. But every time something like this happens these posts pop up and they are delighted at the loss of jobs. Not the companies doing poorly but actually cheering on the loss of tax paying jobs.

The bitterness is palpable. They must be a joy to hang out with. Imagine the conversation in the pub:" Wahay lads. Happy days. Another bunch of people on the dole. Serves them right. Working hard and partying taxes. That'll show 'em".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This thread is even stupider than that, though - it's not even the loss of jobs, it's the loss of possible future jobs.

Revolut only employed a few people here and the articles linked to earlier mentioned they are being offered other posts (whether actually based overseas or working remotely from Dublin, either way it's a lot better than just being handed a P45)

Also most of these so-called "tech jobs" are non-tech roles like sales or customer support which just happen to be in a tech company. Revolut isn't even that, it's a sort-of-bank which just happens to do all its business over the internet.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

My own thoughts when I saw this post were a) I did't know they were here b) Perhaps we can recruit some of the soon to be available SRE/Incident Manager's that we are finding so hard to get in Dublin. The vast majority of the developers/infrastructure/legal/privacy/compliance and all others roles you don't think about when you swipe a card/phone or transfer money are based in London with wages reflecting the location.

The original plan was to make Lithuania the hub for eastern Europe, and Dublin the hub for western Europe - but after two years and an investment of around €4 million, the strategy has been abandoned, according to reports.

Just to put that in to context - setting up and running something like this from scratch is so costly it will be close to half a billion dollars spent before the firm I am working for turns a profit on the project - and that is not expected to happen for another 3-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Unless you're a developer who went bust during the crash. Regulation is only for us mere mortals.

• The future is very much in getting to grips with AI, which is another dimension of complexity. As computation becomes more complex it becomes ever more difficult getting enough humans abreast with understanding such systems to the level of being on top of their ever increasing capabilities. Yeah, plenty in less complicated roles will be able to manage with abstraction but still to be on top of dealing with rogue use of AI one has to get to grips with understanding it. It’s a continuously challenging learning curve for humans alongside the machines they aim to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Nowhere in the article does it say they pulled it due to "overpaid staff with no return on investment and high costs"

I'm guessing (as others have said) they pulled it due to the requirements for a banking licence being particularly strict, missing a deadline (which the article mentions) and given their reputation for adhering to regulation in other jurisdictions, failed to meet the requirements of ours, and pulled.

I get it, I get where some posters on boards are coming from, predicting job losses, recession and the arse falling out of things. I'm not saying it won't happen, these things come in cycles and always go up and down.

But employment figures are at an all time high https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/employment-rate

Consumer spending is almost at an all time high https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/consumer-spending

Income to debt levels are far below any point during the "boom" https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/households-debt-to-income

And in addition, bar 2020, personal savings are at a level higher than any point since 1999 https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/personal-savings

There seems to be this "it's coming" of late. And it very may well, but it seems to be people are hoping for it. Adding 2 and 2 and thinking it'll also mean bargain shopping and a fall in house prices.

You do know the arse can fall out of the economy and we can still have inflation right? The candle can burn from both ends. Combine that with job losses, including your own, and a lack of lending for these alleged bargain prices.

None of these anecdotal headlines can be countered by the figures above. A recession will come, but the outcome will be nothing like you think or hope for.

God forbid we have a recession, combined with high interest rates, 10+ inflation due to energy prices and a broken supply chain. But you'll have won because you saw it coming. Meanwhile a house will be 150k but you won't have a job to finance it. Or you'll have a job but day to day basics will eat away at your pay and you won't meet the parameters of a high interest loan.

Intel is laying off thousands in October, worldwide. 12,000 has been mentioned. Leixlip property prices about to dive.

https://www.hrkatha.com/layoff/is-intel-planning-to-lay-off-12000-in-october-2022/

Meanwhile, the tech rout continues with Meta at a 52 week low. Watch what happens to the planned new Meta HQ in Ballsbridge. If that gets canned by Zuck, tech workers may as well look at career path changes.

https://www.cmcmarkets.com/en-ie/news-and-analysis/tech-leads-wall-streets-fifth-day-losses-as-chip-stock-rout-continues.

Depressing that Dublin will become even more dependent on tourists and hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

how many total are employed in Leixlip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Here we go again…

primarily from the sales and marketing divisions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I saw the thread title and knew it'd be created by the same poster who created the Revolut thread yesterday.

OP, why do you have the horn for the idea that there is going to be some kind of tech apocalypse in Ireland?

I am picturing the Joe Duffy impression on the Savage Eye. Nipple clamps at the ready.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭dublin49

I am hearing there are any amount of Tech Jobs all paying big money ,the end is not yet nigh.

Given their current investment and building work in progress they wont be leaving any time soon - more scaremongering - keep it up OP- some year you’ll be right 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, either clueless or just piss poor trolling.

Billions being poured in to a new fab atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭martco

well I would be keeping an eye on this imho

it's a baad period for chip mfg INTC shareprice is in an almost uninterrupted slide pattern

Gelsinger has a good rep but things are bad and he might not have many options

"interesting times"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Don't think Leixlip has much to worry about with the amount of money being spent there

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Leixlip is a manufacturing site, not sales and marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Some small part of me would welcome an all round tech exodus.

(Ibf brain, penis, etc)

We're firmly established as a county, ... well, more or less. So yeah, we got what we wanted so yis can all go home, and we can bring back a sort of 2005-ish vibe. More space. Nice comfortable pace.

Pandemic pace was fantastic. A reminder of what we've lost, albeit it through necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They will be fine. Overall revenues will dip in the short term, long term as they transition the mfg side of the company from internal mfg only (current) to mfg for external customers (like other big fabs, samsung, TSMC, global foundries etc) their revenues will go way up.

All the large tech corporations accumulate a lot of poor performers in their growth cycles, and inevitably have to do some trimming to keep things going. This is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Rosahane

• Advertisement

AMD alternative CPU's are become more attractive to the market

Advertisement