Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

If he brings back the good brothers he's really lost the plot. 2 of them are abysmal. Delighted when they stopped showing up on AEW.

I can make a defence of Killer Kross (who I know you described as bottom of the barrel and I can see where you're coming from) but the Good Brothers are genuinely the bottom of the barrel. Kross seems to at least understand the finer details of the business and with a manager like Scarlett, there's money there. He's not Malenko or Angle but there's $$$$ definitely there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't think any of the returns have been terrible so far tbh, depends on how they position Lumis I suppose. Kross was absolutely ruined on his initial call up by Vince (losing to Jeff and then the BDSM ring gear) so he definitely deserved another shot. Hit Row got a huge pop and are a decent injection to the tag division (Swerve is a massive loss but they can definitely work as a tag team going forward). Dakota and Iyo speak for themselves and have been booked well thus far at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mia Yim? Another one hard done by on the main roster.

Speaking of, I think HHH needs to help T-Bar.

Lio Rush teasing coming out of his 534th retirement, I guess he could take Swerves place and the main man in Hit Row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will Vince go into the HOF next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Corny is wrestling's Grampa Simpson 

I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Just watched the latest episode of Welcome to Wrexham and they used Shane O'Mac's music 🤣

Love when random wrestling music pops up in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

17 years ago when TNA put on one of the greatest matches of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The idea of Punk being so giving and wanting what's "best for the business" makes me laugh.

Same guy won 3 feuds against 3 of AEW's most touted young guys in 8 months to become world champion and until a month ago the internet fawned over him. He's Triple H...but worse.

Seeing the rules for the Impact Call Your Shot Battle royal, which is basically a Royal Rumble but when it gets to the final 2 it goes to pinfall or submission, it had me wondering what's the preferred method among fans for deciding the winner? I think AEW has ended some Battle Royals the same way, while WWE seems to always be over the top rope.

I think both have their good and bad points. Over the top rope can lead to surprise victories and tension but also can go wrong, be predictable or just a crap elimination. Pinfall/submission requirement means you get a match between what is likely to be 2 of the top talent but after what is usually about an hour of action, the crowd could be exhausted and ready for the thing to be over.

I wonder does Vince sit in on Monday and Friday night and watch his product since he still owns it.

Or does he go to his private gym and work out non stop while the shows air.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I personally prefer the over the top rope finish, and even then the finish needs to happen very quickly from the final three.. it can start to drag very quickly.

The one fall finish is better on paper but usually it's just going through the motions from any events I can remember, got any good examples of ones that had a hot match and ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Has anyone noticed a marked improvement in WWE camerawork after Vince's retirement? Less mental, seizure inducing, zooming etc?

None I can think of. Prefer the over the top rope finish as well, but was just curious. I remember AEW did the match where the final 2 fought the next week which was really strange.

I haven't tbh. I haven't watched much though, just the odd bit here and there. It's still the main thing that keeps me from watching weekly. Don't think it'll change until Dunn is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

It's still there, just not as "severe" as it used to be. WWE is getting a lot right these days, if they fix their camera work, it'll do a whole lot for further improving the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I hadn't watched any of it until Extreme Rules and I thought it was definitely better. Still zooms and cuts here and there but much more watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

WWE product just feels like in transition creatively still.

Once Reigns gets dethrone possibly WrestleMania next year, it will actually feel like new era in WWE.

Wonder what this era will be known as. The triple h era?

Random thought: "old" school working can and does still work today.

Watched mjf vs yuta and mjf is such an old school worker. Taking his time, showing his arse (proverbially lol) and just pure working. It's a lost art today. Everything has to be 100 moves a minute for most - not all - but most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is the criticism put against Cornette all the time, but his basic argument is that the fundamentals of wrestling psychology do not change, which I agree with. You take two guys, you present them as credible combat athletes, you introduce a disagreement or dispute between them, you build that towards a showdown, you do it in a way that is at least somewhat logical. I don't care how many flips are involved, especially not when the previous elements are missing from the equation. He's right when he says that the Firefly Funhouse match was dumb, for example. It was at least as dumb as that time Hulk Hogan pulled an effigy of his own head out of a gift box.

At LEAST as dumb. And that's a thing that gets ridiculed to this day among fans old enough to remember it. Same thing - silly props and bad hammy acting.

Cornette's probably a better heel to the people who disagree with him than any actual heel in the wrestling business today, because he can actually say what he wants. Big wrestling companies' heels must operate under the proviso of, "Make people hate you without saying anything offensive or controversial whatsoever", which is a true contradiction in terms.

I see in the Irish promotions thread Rebel County wrestling is starting up. It's mad when you think of it tho, like the Irish wrestling scene started 20 years ago and all the promotions are gone. Iww, cpw, main stage, dcw etc.

Then to think of all the lads who trained and wrestled. 99.9% just stopped. There's some drop out rate with wrestling.

Random thought of the day does Tony Khan own shares in the public company that is the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm fairly sure he'd have to declare it as a conflict of interest.

EDIT: AEW isn't a publicly traded company, he has no one to answer to but himself, I'd say he has a few lying around.

If Daddy Ass was at the DX reunion on RAW last week he would have been more over than the rest of DX and Scissor Me Daddy Ass chants would have drowned out everything else.

Why did they not chant it then? They shouted his name for the DX bit. If he's so over, surely they would've chanted his new catchphrase?

• Advertisement

I don't see him owning any at all. Don't see any benefit. Tony is insanely rich. Am sure he invests in the stockmarket but his wrestling investment is aew.

Besides, shareholders are said to be public knowledge. Don't think it would look too well if it came out he held shares in his competition.

Advertisement