Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoke came OUT of carbon monoxide alarm

• 12-10-2022 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Was changing the battery of the carbon monoxide alarm and when I put in the new one a waft of smoke came out of it! And then a smell of melting or burning plastic!

What would have caused this? The voltage on the battery is the same as the old one. The aul lady was saying it was beeping allday but we only bought a replacement just now. Gave a quick google and I see there's some radioactive material in smoke alarms so now Im slightly concerned!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's failed. Replace it. If it has a mains backup get a sparks to do it

There are no radioactive materials in carbon monoxide alarms. There are a very small amount in older style (but still very common, and preferable for some uses) ionising smoke alarms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

Any superpowers yet? Smoke man perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Thanks for the reply. Anxiety was rising when I saw the radiation word!

Its not that old of a device maybe 5years I think? Though it was giving off a beep once every 2minutes or so all day, maybe it burnt itself out.

Its a battery only one and we have 2 more in the house along with 2 smoke alarms. I encourage everyone to test their own for a safety check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

No nothing yet but Im shmokin hot already!!!😁😍😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Putting the battery in the wrong way around perhaps?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You let the magic smoke escape.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

It's full.

It's absorbed years of CO, and needs to be emptied.

Bring it to a recycling centre, they can empty them there.

Advertisement