Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

but every motorist breaks the rules of the roads, every footpath is covered in illegally parked cars. Why doesn't this get any attention and people go nuts about cyclists who don't harm anyone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Specific to Fairview, cyclists please note the rules of the road say you should not overtake where there is a solid centre line.

If there is a bus in front of you and you feel compelled to overtake, wait until there is a safe and legal place to do so.

I wish our useless police would enforce the laws FOR EVERYONE. Driving is stressful enough without having to watch for the black lightless ninjas coming through lights, cycling the wrong way up a street, bouncing off footpaths into the road, breaking lights, not giving any indication of turning or not, weaving through traffic etc.

Just stick to the effing rules. Everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭highdef

Not sure if it's possible to quote just a section of a post since the tech upgrade on Boards but I prefer to just your first point:

"The reason cyclists break reds when there's nothing coming is simple:

It takes a lot of effort to get a bike up to speed. Stopping and starting on a push bike is going to be tiring and slow."

Well that's just a part of the nature of cycling and is to be expected. Trying to make this a viable reason to illegally break red lights is pure codswallop! Sure, coming to a halt in my motor vehicle means I'm going to use extra fuel when I accelerate again. Fuel is expensive so if I break the red lights, I will save money.......Now, if I were to say that I should be allowed to break red lights (when safe to do so) in my motor vehicle to save money, I'd be lambasted. The motorist who is hit in the pocket for having to stop and start at traffic lights is a motorists problem. The cyclist who is hit in the thighs/muscles for having to stop and start at traffic lights is a cyclists problem. You just have to accept that sometimes there are negatives

I follow all rules of road when driving a car, I don't when on a bike, and never will. That's just the way it is, and it's not harming anyone. Cars are extremely dangerous which is why I don't speed or use my phone when driving or park illegally. It's not that hard to understand, and the police don't care as long as you're not being dangerous, so just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

My only gripe with the whole setup is how narrow the inbound lane is. It barely fits a bus and with the metal crash barriers on the inside it's only a matter of time before a cyclist ends up in one. There's been little to no thought put into the safety of cyclists on that section for this work unfortunately.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Very simple example in Europe, whether you are in a car or a bike it is perfectly legal to turn right (left equivalent in Ireland) and drive STRAIGHT THROUGH a green pedestrian light AS LONG as you don't hit a pedestrian.

In Ireland if a cyclist does this they are branded law breaking thugs.

Some of the rules of the road here are not logically and it is simply not fair to apply them equally to "combustion motorised" vehicles and "manually operated pedal" bicycles.

I've also always wondered why our traffic sequence is green, amber, red, instead of the red, amber, green, seen inost other countries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be more precise, its generally Green, amber, red, amber (or red+amber) green

Big fan personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It would cause too many accidents here as cars generally don't stop for reds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is still an amber before the red anywhere I've seen it. It just also has one before green.

Also the "it would cause too many accidents" logic is used a lot of things like pedestrian right of war crossings. We need to adapt how we approach our roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: This thread is about Fairview, please stay on topic, if you want to discuss other general topics please start another thread, thanks.

Passed through Fairview today and work seems to be progressing well. Kerbstones in and being pointed. Hope it won't be too much longer until that section is open.

The usual gate into Fairview park is closed off now, so you can't really access when coming from Howth Rd, or Malahide Rd. There's an entrance close to westwood, but hard to traverse traffic to get to it, unless coming from the coast already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This is one of those stupid council things, the park is officially closed during certain hours, with the gates only open during fully bright hours. Of course, it doesn't stop anyone getting in, as there are plenty of openings without gates, and of course, the fence itself is waist high. All it does is punish those less able.

No, it's closed at that point as they are working on the path, which is why they have the opening the earlier point, closer to Westwood.

I'll take a photo later to show you what it's like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The balls-up that definitely would have a stop put to it by September seems to be going well, and hasn't shut the entire city down.

Does anyone know when the route going into the city will be finished by?

Spotted a tree that had come down on the North Strand section. Not sure if it was high winds after root disturbance, or some other cause. Or if it might just have happened anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

2024 is the only date we have. I don't think we'll get commitment though. As far as utilities jobs go this is one of the most complex and extensive the state has ever seen, certainly within an urban area, its a wonder that it doesn't get more media attention, everyone focused on the cycle lane, which, in engineering terms is a minor part of this project. For comparison, Its like they built the luas and ppl only wanna talk about the seat covers.

Post edited by cgcsb on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are great seat covers though. Don't look any more old fashioned than any other operators new designs and they've been on the go for 18 years, and there's still people realising for the first time what the design actually is in terms of the buildings

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What makes it one of the most complex and extensive? Is it wastewater pipes they're replacing or what's going down there?

• Advertisement

Water mains, waste, electricity, fibre optic. Gas pipes also alongside the works, so care taken around them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In addition to what other posters have said about the number of utilities being upgraded, the coordination between utility providers is on a scale not yet seen in this country. Also the length of service replacement is staggering, kms of new services in urban areas rarely happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

And if you thought that work was impressive, wait till DCC take the site back and start installing street signs!

The bit I love is when they dig up the newly laid road and leave it in ribbons for a year until they lay down a proper replacement, just like they did on Griffith avenue

They haven't put a new surface on there yet, have they?

They put a new surface on Griffith Avenue right at the new development last week, maybe the week before. Only one side of the road mind you, so they'll probably be back in a couple of months to finish it off, and not even the entire length of where they dug up.

Yeah, they've been closing it off at weekends to do it. That's the second time they've relaid it since the original works were completed. They left it in an awful state until the resurfacing over the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All my rat runs have been discovered by now. Dublin drivers are like water, they’ll always look for the easiest route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A good few drivers going through the carpark and emerging further up inbound just before Alfie Byrne. Why do people let them merge?

Advertisement