Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This reversal will cost the state another half a million or maybe more but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It seems like Ukrainians are welcome but all other refugees can go back home. This seems to be the Irish attitude now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If the state ran private businesses the way they ran the state, they'd be fired in little to no time, and likely never get work again. Yet in politics they have the freedom to constantly make terrible decisions that cost us millions, with little to no punishment. It would be great if we could somehow tie their performance to their pay, then maybe they wouldn't be so wasteful with our tax money. It's very easy to be reckless with other peoples money, and it's a large part of the reason why most states are so badly ran.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It'd be good if there was more transparency about this decision. Seemed to be a deal of lobbying going on, some of which I'm sure was of genuine concern for the upheaval to families concerned. But also a suspicion that business and other interests in Killarney weren't in favour of this. What causes doubt is that there is substantial money involved in these decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Astartes

Surely there's lots of reasons why they made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The Mayor of Killarney on the Last Word now, "very relieved" to be talking about the decision to keep the Ukrainian refugees there rather than moving them to Killarney. While they will have to move accommodation to other hotels and homes, they can all be accommodated, and so will retain school places, won't lose their jobs, etc. Acknowledging the challenges with regard to access to GPs, childcare, etc., and drawing attention to the disproportionate number being hosted in Killarney - but also talking about friendship and integration. Great to hear! But a notable and huge contrast to some of the naysayers on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I think some have that attitude. Given most others aren’t coming from countries that there is an ongoing conflict. Others feel the more the merrier.

I think we are facing a time where we have to choose if we will look after these people properly or our standards may have to drop significantly to look after everyone. Either that or fill up the majority of hotels and holiday home accommodation across the country with refugees. That means sacrificing the tourism industry which is an important employer in rural areas of Kerry, West Cork, Clare, Mayo etc. Many people in comfortable jobs in cities might be happy to make that sacrifice as they can just go to Spain or wherever for a holiday so won’t miss the Irish tourism industry. I think we are facing some very tough decisions ahead.

They’re in Killarney. The intended destination was Westport.

No arguments here. This was the right outcome for all concerned.

Not digging at you personally, but what exactly did you expect the mayor to say?

That their English language skills are limited, that local schools are under intense pressure, and that contact with the locals is minimal? No mayor is ever going to make statements that could be construed as negative. It would be PR suicide.

You’d have to talk to residents of the town to get a true sense of the dynamic on the ground.

• Advertisement

Like the parents he'd mentioned who'd been in touch with him, wondering what would happen to their kids' new friends?

How many parents and how representative are they of the sentiment on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Regena Doherty was on newstalk and said government should introduce legislation so they can build modular homes for up to 5 years and locals have no right to object

She also said people towns and villages must welcome all of these people and to anyone who thinks ireland is full she says we should encourage people to come here and then convince them to stay permanently since we are near full employment but have lots of open job vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I remember reading threads on boards over 5 years ago where posters would say the Irish population would become a minority in Ireland in our lifetime and thinking those posters were lunatics. Now I think no matter who we vote for it will definitely happen. There will be no thought or careful consideration done. The future is far from certain in terms of energy crisis, inflation, climate etc. The more people you take in the more hospital beds, GPS, childcare places, school places, homes, transport infrastructure, energy, water etc you need. It requires planning to make it all come together.

The talk of no right to object really smacks of a politician who thinks they know best…such arrogance. Knowing how things are done in Ireland those modular homes would probably be build for most expensive price possible and in unsuitable places like floodplains.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Who is gods name thought it was ok to move women and children away from their schools and jobs and stability ? Who could justify moving children who have been already traumatised and settled into school so that 200 young men can be housed there ?

If ever incompetency was shown well here it is loud and clear

Obviously thoughts have been elsewhere in Donegal this past week.

It was 48 apartments. Announcement on Wednesday night and they came the following morning. The apartments had never been completely finished and lay like that for 15 years. Locals for years and years were crying out for them to be completed to help with the accommodation shortage in town.

There is still no accommodation for rent on daft in Ballybofey. 23 in the entire county of Donegal.

With the temporary protection directive recently being extended for another year. A winter surge of refugees expected(Ukrainian member of parliament words) And now entire apartment complexes being given away. How much longer is this sustainable before the government literally runs out of options to house refugees? I wonder what their current capacity is as of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

infinite housing and governmental resources.

bring in more, repopulated the blaskets

Post edited by seanin4711 on

If 48 apartments lay idle for 15 years, I severely doubt there was much need for them TBH.

Supply / Demand = €€€

The idea that who ever owned was just waiting around for war Europe to pull the trigger is farcical.

Have you reports to the actual history on them?

Start with ownership history.

Oh you severely doubt there was much need for them. That’s that sorted then. Zero accommodation to rent in the town. 147 people on housing list in the town. 47 social accommodations need to be built. That entire (48)apartment complex would have sorted that or at least put a massive dent in it. Nothing private to rent but boggles severely doubts there was much need for them. I never heard as much shite in all my life.

100%. This is one of the most unsettling aspects for me. We are being governed by a group of people who aren’t fit for purpose. They stumble from one manifestation of incompetence to the next. More worryingly, there is no real alternative.

Like I said earlier today, I fear for the society my kids will inherit. We are being lead down a path by people with no vision, little intelligence, and evidently with zero interest in doing right by the people of this country.

• Advertisement

Well that didn't answer my very basic question. But

2 further Questions.

1. Where are the 147 people living now? they do have homes right, they are not rough sleepers?
    2. You have canvassed them all and they would be happy for their forever home to be an apartment above a shopping centre?

It's almost like reality doesn't mimic your remedial assumptions.

Residents say they are not against the site being developed but the current plan is not suitable for small rural area.

Residents say they fear the new apartments will end up vacant, like other units in the town

But but but it's the gubberments fault. 🤷‍♂️

Ah boggles always goes down the mocking route after being called out for saying something ridiculous. Surprised you haven’t accused me of being on the dole again. Thankfully I’m not yet I don’t look down my nose on those who are unlike yourself. I wonder how you feel about 27.5% of Ukrainians adults in Ireland have never worked a day in their life. An inner battle of your snobbery for those on the dole Vs your supposed empathy for uncapped numbers of Ukrainians yet you haven’t housed any yourself. Quite the predicament for you.

I’m sure a lot of them would be quite happy to live in 2 or 3 bedroom apartment that just had 4.5M refurbishment and it’s own private underground parking. Private renters also.

Headline in the local paper at the beginning of September. Ballybofey’s new €7 million apartment complex almost ready. Early Christmas present for those seeking housing. Could be ready in the next 2 to 4 weeks. I guess there was demand after all unlike your claim lol. Then late on Wednesday night they announced every single one was going to Ukrainians with the first arriving the following morning. But sure according to you it’s all grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Like I said earlier today, I fear for the society my kids will inherit. We are being lead down a path by people with no vision, little intelligence, and evidently with zero interest in doing right by the people of this country.

The idea that you fear for the society your children will inherit, makes no sense. Your children aren’t inheriting a society, they’re inheriting the future you’ll have created for them, and undoubtedly they will be in a much more advantageous position than everyone else in Irish society, because they have you who’s their father - a man of vision, intelligence and evidently interested in doing right by the people of this country.

If only you had thought of entering politics earlier, but then you’d be in the exact same position as Roderick and Helen are now, and for people with no vision, little intelligence and evidently zero interest in doing right by the people of this country, they’ve done alright for themselves and their families all the same, as well as being taxpayers who make a significant contribution to Irish society.

They don’t fear for their children’s futures, because they have the vision and the determination to create the kind of future for children and future generations which they will be proud to inherit, one where everyone has even greater opportunities and freedom to fulfill their potential than their parents and previous generations of their ancestors did.

Only the few who could never see further than the end of their own nose and never sought to fulfil their potential will bemoan what they never had in the first place, but still feel like they’ve lost something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Heard her.

An absolute dose.

Just telling us all what we need to do because she said so.

No wonder she got booted out of her last constituency.

I appreciate the compliment Jack. It’s always nice to receive positive feedback, even though I have little desire to be validated by you. But thank you anyway.

Roderick O’Gorman has children? That’s news to anybody aware of his personal circumstances.

Helen McEntee, a woman who inherited her position in politics because her late father unfortunately committed suicide?

ln your estimation, this dynamic duo are creating a v-Next utopia replete with opportunity, freedom, and unlocking unlimited potential.

Helen McEntee and Roderick O’Gorman. Really Jack?

You’ve truly outdone yourself this time.

Ah, didn't take long at all to lose the empathy and swing back to the usual sentiment.

Evidently, Hamachi, more of the empathetic kind were arsed to actually do something and contacted their local politicians, than there were of the indifferent or xenophobic kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why do you feel the need to get aggressive when subjected to some pretty gentle probing Druid?

I agree with you. I’m happy that the 135 Ukrainian women and children get to remain in Killarney. It’s disgraceful that the authorities ever sought to uproot them.

However, the fact is neither you nor I have any idea of the general sentiment on the ground in Killarney. If anybody posting on the thread happens to be resident there, would be interested in first hand insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I wasn’t validating you Hamachi, just acknowledging the facts is all, and I have no reason to assume you’re anything other than a great father.

Speaking of which, I’m not au fait with the ins and outs of Roderick’s personal circumstances, but I have no reason to assume he doesn’t wish to become a father at some point in the future, and it’s on that basis I was referring to him preparing a future for his children, the children he has yet to have, future generations and all that jazz.

I’m not au fait with the ins and outs of Helen’s personal circumstances either, but by all accounts she was involved in politics in her youth, well before her father’s untimely passing. For what it’s worth, suicide is no longer referred to as though it’s a criminal offence given the offence was abolished in 1993 -

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1993/act/11/enacted/en/print.html

Both Helen and Roderic developed an interest in politics from an early age, Roderick in particular must have been very popular in the playground - every other child wanted to be an astronaut, Roderic wanted to be a politician -

O'Gorman is originally from Mulhuddart, a small outer suburb. He now lives in Blanchardstown. He completed an undergraduate law degree at Trinity College Dublin, followed by a Master of Laws in European Union (EU) law in the London School of Economics. In 2011 he completed his PhD, with a dissertation entitled 'Union citizenship, social rights and the Marshallian approach', at Trinity College Dublin.

O'Gorman started an academic career at Griffith College, where he lectured and was a course director for five years. He next worked as a law lecturer in the School of Law and Government at Dublin City University. He served as the programme chair of the Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Politics and Law. He has taken leave in order to serve as a TD.

He has openly identified as gay. He has said that he knew he wanted to be a politician even before he identified his sexuality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roderic_O'Gorman

I can’t say much, I wanted to be a maths teacher 😬

And as for Helen, well she was cutting her political teeth in Secondary school -

The daughter of Shane and Kathleen McEntee, Helen McEntee is one of four siblings. She is also the niece of former Gaelic footballer and prominent surgeon Gerry McEntee.[6]Raised on her family's farm in Castletown, County Meath, she attended St Joseph's Mercy Secondary School in Navan, where she first developed an interest in politics, and represented her class on the school's student council. From 2004, she studied economics, politics, and law at Dublin City University (DCU), where she helped to re-establish the university's branch of Young Fine Gael, which had been inactive for some time. After graduating in 2007, she worked for a subsidiary of Citibank, but returned to higher education in 2010, to complete a master's degree in Journalism and Media Communications at Griffith College.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_McEntee

You’ve probably figured out by now Hamachi with your superior intelligence that it’s neither mine, nor your estimation that matters, but people’s estimation of themselves, and it begins in childhood where children are incredibly fortunate if they are surrounded by people who support them in fulfilling their potential, and as Helen and Roderic have demonstrated, in spite of your estimation that they are people with no vision, little intelligence, and evidently with zero interest in doing right by the people of this country; they, just like the immigrants you’re so keen to portray as being a burden on the taxpayer, are proof that when people receive the support they need to fulfil their potential, as adults they really can make changes in society to bring about the kind of future for children in society that they envisioned as children themselves.

Bigger picture Hamachi, that’s what you’re missing, you can’t see the good for the refugees, and therefore you can’t see why Government was right not to put any limitations on the numbers of Ukrainian refugees Ireland is taking in. Did they fumble the ball a few times? Sure, but given the scale of what they’re doing, it was always going to be a challenge. The Irish nation have shown yet again what the human spirit is capable of when we support each other in a spirit of brotherhood and good will toward all men, and that’s something we all should be proud of, in my estimation, of course.

Post edited by Beasty on

Advertisement