Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I guess its a tradeoff depending on whether you've a battery to charge at night or no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It's something I'm looking at myself at this point as I will need to change, but at the moment I'm in the old spinning meter so not in a rush to change until they come out to change.

The consideration is really I think going to come down to size of system you have and your usage. If you have a system that will generate alot of excess particularly in the summer the higher FIT will I'd expect offset the higher Day rate. The 13.75 I think is quite decent for what's being offered out there now yo customers some people are kn really great rates of 8 or 9 cent bit I don't think they're out there on offer now.

Alot of the tariffs are also only as good as you make them. Alot of whingy holes complaining about smart meters costing more, but you'll find, most of the solar users are more accutely aware of usage and how to make it benefit them.

I will end up going with as low of a Night rate as I can, charging the battery I have and charging an electric car when I get one. The battery of the solar, will give me 5 extra kw to use at dark. Now considering I generated 8kw today in a pretty poor Day, if I had 5kw in the battery at 13.75c it would see me out for the night.

My opinion, lowest Night rate coupled with best FIT is the sweetspot, I'm not overly concerned about Day rate as we are primarily Day users.

Another thing I've noticed is alot of the solar owners tend to change their provider very regularly to get the best prices, ie introductory offers. Energy providers bank on Paddy not moving providers because I believe the stats of people that stats are very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

inclined to agree with you. without ev or battery though, probably not much point in me moving for now as the export dips into the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Yes, that all makes sense.

I'm in a weird position as I have a 5.85kW array and a 5kW inverter - and am awaiting stock of a 5kW battery.

This is coming later in month at some stage, but I could cancel the battery if I felt it wasn't cost effective.

I'm guessing that the battery is around €2,000 of the cost - the only wrinkle is that I did qualify for the battery grant, so the SEAI are providing a €600 subsidy - so it's probably €1,400 nett.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Get it. You'll likely be able to flog it for a profit in a few months if you don't want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Battery is likely costing you 1900 to 2000k nett after grant. Having more kw panels than inverter isn't that unusual. I've 6.55 on a 6.

I've a battery on the way too. Personally I want the option to flatten out the use of what I generate into the evening and particularly during the peak times from 5 to 7 in winter, use the solar charged battery or charge at night rate if day is really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I think you are right. There was am update to the app last night but it still looks wrong.

My monthly chart day numbers look correct though... maybe they adjust them after midnight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yeah something off, yesterday still looks wrong, instead of 5.6 generation:

But the monthly values seems right:

Even though I added the dailies together and that added to 183.3kwh 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

11.4kwp today. I couldn't beat Monday's production of 12.4 at the end.

I doubled Solar PV Forecast estimate so I can't really rely on that app I guess.

4kw system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭silver_sky

11.2kWh today (4.46kWp SW facing). My forecast predicted 10.78kWh.

• Advertisement

Which forecast do you use? :-)

Aldo do you mind me asking if you have a battery and which size?

I didn't get one initially but now considering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭micks_address

Is there anything more annoying than having a solar installation booked and seeing the sun shining and all that potential power going to waste 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

It’s a long game, and you're nearly started with the install date booked 😊 I’m looking forward to a time as an old man when kids ask me ‘can you remember a time in Ireland when every house didn’t make their own electricity?’

I'm using the one that Jonathan put together in the Automation thread. It's pulled into homeassistant. I've not yet started doing automations (e.g. battery charging) based on the forecasts, but will do eventually. Link - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119620207/#Comment_119620207

I've a 5kWh Puredrive battery. I picked that one as the charging and discharging rates are up to 1C (5kW).

Jaysus, there must be nobody in that house for years - there's no solar panels on the roof! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Hi @deravarra, looking at potentially going with the same SaaS provider as you did. If it suited, would it be possible to dm about how you got on? No hassle if it doesn't suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭con747

Make sure you don't get caught out with their new price plans, gone very expensive now. If you have the old price locked in go for it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Just had a look at the new plans, and they are very steep for option 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭con747

It looks like option 1 is 4 x 400w panels for €3540 after grant €29.50 p/m. The panel quantity selector won't budge for me to try adding panels....

Anyway won't derail this thread anymore.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

Start the fireworks!! Finally hit the 1MWh mark today. Live about 2.5 months. I know this isn't a daily stat but it's a happy stat for me :)

We've a modest 4.9kWp E/W split (and roof is maxed out, no space anywhere else). But as Tesco say 'every little helps'

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

New to this, would the below be an example of the new price plan?

2.4kwp, Just Energy - Residential

Cost €4318 (Discounted Upfront Payment With Grant - Cost/KWp €1755)

Here's a range of quotes I've got in the last week or so from different installers, most of which are listed in the solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information page

| Capacity (Kwp) | Cost After Grant | Cost/KWp |

| 2.4      | 4318       | 1755   |

| 2.59      | 5600       | 2162   |

| 3.2      | 7000       | 2187   |

| 2.46      | 5485       | 2229   |

| 2.2      | 8000       | 3636   |

No EDDI (except for last quote)

No battery

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mrm

YES!...last march, awaiting installation.

And all the posters with solar on here...sunny this and sunny sun that!😄 Twas a bumper month (lost).

But I get your pain.

9.7kwh today (4kw system south).

Bumper day today. 2GWh into the grid. The FIT will pay the mortgage off in one go 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

17Kw today here , 7.4 east, west , equal panels on each side ,

Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Second best day of the month with 18.4kWh. Exported 2kWh. 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Was a good day with 28.1 produced, still exported 4kWh. Just about on target to hit the forecasted production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yesterday's belter brought me just about back on target for the daily average. A few great days looming though.

• Advertisement

9.5kwh today. Almost identical to yesterday.

(4kw south facing Meath)

Advertisement