Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be an obesity tax?

Options

Comments

^ It is a poor argument. And it is - much like the last sentence of your previous post - not at all what I have been arguing or saying either. So I am not sure we need to agree to disagree. Because you appear to mostly be disagreeing with a position I in no way hold :)

If I had to distill my point down short - a skill I clearly lack most of the time - I would say "uninformed, simplistic, unresearched sweeping generalisations are indeed bad but generalisations in and of themselves are not and we should not allow exceptions and outliers make us feel they are".

I think I would fall back on my previous analogy here. We can have a useful conversation about how nuts are a healthy and good food. A generalisation conversation that is in no way harmed or negated by the fact that they are for some people absolutely and instantly lethal. The generalisation is and remains a good one. The exceptions and outliers however remain important. The two are not mutually exclusive even a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

People in this thread have basically said everyone should eat nuts because cavemen didn't need hospitals.

You're defending such gibberish as useful. It's ignorant and vexatious and likely dangerous. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

If 98% of diets fail, and there's billions of euros made by the diet industry, surely that's proof that losing weight is difficult for the majority.

Again for the third time you appear to be summarizing my position in a way that is completely different to the points I know myself I am making. I am unsure whether this failure of communication lies on my side - your side - or a mixture of the two. But regardless the failure is there. You have three times in a row now come out strongly against positions I absolutely know I A) do not hold and B) have not moved to espouse in even the smallest way.

So I am unsure how to progress the conversation at this point and unless you have any good ideas - I agree with your previous post that we should probably just leave it there.

That is one likely interpretation. Another likely interpretation is that it is proof/evidence that it is difficult for the majority to attain it in that way specifically. I am certainly not qualified to discern between the two. Even a little bit.

But yes losing weight is not easy. I would be the last person on the thread to suggest it is. As I said in a previous post there was even studies suggesting that not only is it hard to lose weight - but if you lose it, regain it, and attempt to lose it again - the effort required actually goes up significantly! Which makes no sense under the rubric of "Weight loss is nothing more than calories in minus calories out". It certainly suggests weight loss is both more difficult and more nuanced than some people give it credit for.

On a slightly related note - I think it was Joe Rogan (not sure) recently who ranted quite passionately about homelessness in parts of the US. He was astounded at the very large and ever increasing quantities of money being pumped into "solutions" for it yet the problem just gets proportionately worse. His conclusion is that that particular industry has no incentive to actually solve the homelessness crisis. Because then the gravy train would stop.

I do not know much about the "diet industry" myself. So I plead ignorance here. But I would certainly think it would be prudent to wonder if the same issue might be in play there. Would such an industry making billions as you say actually and actively be interested in solving issues like obesity? Or would their gravy train be entirely dependent on the issue being ongoing or even ever worsening?

Sounds like there a business opportunity for the willpower industry. Its mostly wind powered so eco friendly.

• Advertisement

What you say does make sense to me tax I'm just not sure if there are outliers rather than a whole array of different people with different ways of living and reasons for those ways.

We should be able to have a conversation about the importance of health and how weight ties in to that. But why can we not include all the possible reasons a person may not be able to lose weight or why they may choose not to?

Some posters here are completely discounting anything other than a person being lazy or self deluded or to use Cognitive Dissident's words "lacking in willpower". I think that's a pretty shít stance to take.

I know one family where the children are overweight and it appears to be because their mum feeds them rubbish and food is a sort of babysitter.

I also know of another person who has binge eating disorder. It's real and it's painful but they seem to be getting a handle on it.

In my closer circle there's a number of people who could stand to lose a few pounds for the sake of their health but who are happy out.

Lots of different people. It just baffles me why they can't all be taken in to account when looking at rising weight levels in our population.

This is just an opinion of mine nothing, but I think one reason why they fail is because losing weight is about relationships, the one we have with ourselves and the one we have with food.

"...I'm just not sure if there are outliers rather than a whole array of different people with different ways of living and reasons for those ways...."

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

I was in France the other day with work. Flew via Dublin airport.

A good few Irish school tours heading to.France & elsewhere in Europe, so probably 16 / 17 year olds (transitiin year or 5th year I woukd think).

I noticed a lot of the irish girls were over weight, thighs and bums sizes as if they were 40 or 50 years old. Wearing leggings & tight sports wear which was not flattering. The majority of the irish lads in fairness were more healthy weight, lanky skinny teenages, only a small % were chubby.

On my return to Dublin, I saw french and spanish teenagers arriving in Dublin for their school trip ... I noticed how skinny they are were. Actually they were normal weight, but I think in Ireland and UK, we are used to chubby teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

100% agree the vast vast majority of people it’s a simple case of over indulging and nothing more, eat less and move more to lose the overweight couldn’t be simpler for the majority of people.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

We might be one of the worse in Europe. But its not just the Irish that have this problem.

The French...

Have to stop looking for easy answers. There's a lot going on. The reasons maybe different in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Your talking utter nonsense. Food high in sugar or fat is addictive in the same way as grass is green, ignoring facts doesn't help any discussion. It's the dopamine hits that make it addictive. Nobody is claiming sugar is as addictive as cocaine.

Cutting back on delicious food is far from simple. It requires new habits and for some people to change their relationship with food.

Looking after your health should be the only new habit obese people need, government should tax the shît out of fast food and junk food the way they do with tobacco year after year to pay for this crisis.

And if the government did this and didn't reduce the cost of healthy food then this would be a cruel move.

Healthy food is cheap doesn’t need to be reduced, stick €2 on bag of chips €5 on Big Mac €8 on pizza it’s soon change peoples habits

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What happens if the person is unemployed, injured, disabled, doesn't lose enough weight in the weight classes etc? Genuinely curious.

The person gets oftered resources but...

"...the vast majority of people offered a weight loss program chose not to avail of this service – and we have no data on whether these people remain overweight..."

Not compared to other countries and lots of stuff like Berries, Salmon, steak, nuts etc are not cheap. Your suggestion would just put take aways out of business which is not fair on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Exactly. How do people think that this type of food can be produced any cheaper ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it won't ultimately, we know this because of the sugar tax.

it's different with smoking as in general smoking has nothing going for it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I agree we have to be careful with the term "outliers" and what we actually mean when we use it. When I use it I specifically mean people who have outright medical conditions - which can not be cured but only mediated at best - which make it difficult if not even near impossible for them to address their weight. Such people exist and we should account for them. But I fear some people happily use them to suggest that any conversation about general weight issues in a general population can not usefully be had.

Inside the general population of which I speak however - what you said above becomes very relevant. Different people with different lifestyles and life pressures and incentives and hurdles. So a more nuanced conversation is absolutely useful there you are right.

I am someone who subscribed heavily to personal responsibility, self discipline and what Jokko Willink would call "Extreme ownership". But despite that near religious dedication to phrases like "Discipline equals freedom" I still find the entire thing vastly more nuanced that someone like "Cognitive Dissident" who you also mention. As if "willpower" is a 0 or 1, on or off, have it or do not have it, use it or do not use it thing.

I do not see it as so black and white. Rather I view it more like muscles. You can be weak and be able to lift weights. You can have all the muscles in the world and fail to be able to lift the weights. It all depends on the weights put in front of you to lift! So telling someone simply "You just need to have willpower" assumes that everyone has the same weights to lift in life. They do not. You can have all the willpower in the world and still fail if the challenges before your willpower exceed it. You can have bugger all will power and still succeed because the task before you is simple.

And most of all willpower and attainment appears - to me at least - to be something that begets more willpower and attainment. So the "just use your willpower and do it" mantra tends to fail. There are all kinds of stats saying "x% of diets fail" and I think that very often this is because people try to do too much too soon and too fast. I failed in my life of self improvement too for the same reason. Until I settled on a very incremental method of self improvement. And the results of that built up over - and are still building up over - 20 years. I am still not 100% where I want to be. But I am on and have stayed on the path. And I am no paragon of willpower by any measure.

I’m not talking about other countries, eating healthy costing a fortune is a complete myth.

From Tesco.ie..

4 striplion steaks €11

bag of frozen vegetables €1.39

1kg of baby potatoes: €1.09

2ltr still water: €1.45

total cost = €14.93

From McDonalds..

2 Big Mac meals and 2 happy meals

total cost = €23.76

Just one example that eating healthy costs a fortune is a complete myth and if you research you’ll find lots and lots more examples.

it’s a lazy excuse when people talk about food and their health.

The sugar tax is minuscule we need to up by €2 per litre that will change some habits.

Do you think you only become overweight through sugar and fast food or something.

You can simply eat too much of "healthy" food. Will you then tax that?

Of course not, but thats not the root cause for most fat people they eat utter rubbish. Over eating healthy food choices are not the reason this country is seeing this pandemic its McDs, KFC subway, chicken fcucking fillet rolls, coke all sorts of pop, crisps giant chocolate bars.

As I’ve said put a health levy on all them items couple of euro per item the more you buy the higher the amount, we need to force people into making better choices adapt the covid pass to restrict fat people from buying this stuff, look at the children today it’s shocking a lifetime of health problems ahead not to mention the future pressure on health care and costs.

It's hard to say really. It depends what your ultimate goals are. And as usual it's simply not as simple as one might think.

As is often the case with these things we can look to the US for interesting data and real world examples. California for example did a 1cent per ounce across not just "soda" but any drinks that were sugar sweetened. Washington for comparison once tried a tax that was only 2 cent for an entire 12 ounce can.

And as you would expect when the price went up - sales of those drinks went down. When the price went back down again - sales went relatively up again. So it seems you are correct that habits do change if you strongly modify the cost.

But what is the goal of the tax? If the goal is to affect obesity then it should be noted that while the taxes affected sales of those drinks - it had little to no effect on obesity at all. A 2013 systematic review of the relationship between price increases and caloric intake in the journal "ClinicoEconomics and Outcomes research" found that people simply replaced the calories elsewhere and caloric intake simply did not go down.

Worse still - the Stanford school of Business did a study on the effects of the same kind of tax in Philadelphia. Like the study above they noted that sales of those drinks went down. So they looked at the relative effect of sales of other drinks. The sales of bottled water hardly changed at all but sales in Fruit Juices went up. And fruit juices are also high in caloric value and quite harmful. Especially as they have an image in the public mind as being healthy. After all it's fruit right?

Weirdly where studies did find positive effects - it was often not across the board. For example with regressive taxes on soda the US also found most of the positive effects were observed in the middle classes. Why? Well mainly because the upper classes merely shouldered the burden of the increased costs. While the lower classes strategized their purchases buying in bulk, waiting for sales etc. It was solely the middle classes that were influenced by the higher costs. But the ultimate effect was that rather than this tax being punitive against the obese - it merely put a burden on the relatively poor.

Finally if consumer move away from a companies product because of an artificially inflated price, it incentivises that company to create product alternatives less amenable to that tax. So they might create a new drink lower in sugar content to appear healthier on paper, but to keep the product palatable to the consumer they turn to certain fats and artificial sweeteners. And they come with medical issues of their own. So we might push people away from sugar, but at what cost and effect?

So a taxation policy focused on fixed scapegoats like fizzy drinks is certainly understandable but in isolation it seems it is likely to do nothing at all. Rather - the approach of taxing "bad" foods is something that would be a better tool in a more holistic and comprehensive all round approach to the issue of obesity. It needs to be part of a much larger plan rather than a plan in and of itself.

It would seem to me that targeting "low" quality ingredients in production - therefore hitting the manufacturer rather than the consumer - is another possible approach. If sugar water has x% more sugar in it than 20 years ago - or the substitute "oils" being put in all our products, even butter, is becoming more and more common - then clearly the industry has incentives for doing that. What if we remove those incentives? Rather than simply going after the consumer for having X Y or Z why not also do out best to make sure X Y and Z are as healthy, or at least as minimally unhealthy, as possible? Outside and above my pay grade for sure but intuition tells me this should at least be one important avenue to look into.

So you DO think solely eating junk food and takeaways is the cause of it. I disagree I don't think people eat takeaways 3 times a day every davy. Potion size and calorific food at home is more likely.

So if this food is already a lot more expensive than other foods. Why do you think rising the price will stop people eating junk food. Since it doesn't already.

No I don’t believe they do either but a lot of their main meals would be junk which is were the problem lies, the price risings don’t go far enough need to increase it way more.

• Advertisement

Higher health levy’s are one tool we need to deploy.

Better education for school children show them the real risks of been fat and overweight we have been scaring them the last few years with the virus show them more.

All junk food in plain packaging, cordon off the junk aisles like they do with Alcohol.

Heavy levy’s on electric scooters.

Get parents to start parenting deploy health nurses to schools to help with the high risks cases.

Set up a child protection dept for overweight children hold parents accountable.

Employee nutritionists for all schools , teach children how to cook real food.

Increase school active time by 100% to start, swimming should be part of every school going children’s week from primary to college.

Advertisement