Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job losses in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It is still incredibly difficult to hire experienced ICT resources. The wage inflation for ICT resources is phenomenal. Companies will go thru a boom-bust cycle too but ICT resource numbers in general will increase for many years. And yet they are still way cheaper than US counterparts.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

It will have little effect on Leixlip plant bar cut backs to sports/social & travel policies.

Intel are in an never ending arms race with TSMC & Samsung. Any cut back on that plan is a guarantee of demise of America's only SEMI company. They have to keep spending which they are..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes this is very true especially when there is a resource shortage. Managers love an opportunity to trim the fat and refocus efforts.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

No loss, I have serious concerns about their liquidity, especially with a recession on the horizon and several large financial institutions looking like they might collapse. I've heard of people getting their wages paid into a Revolut account, I can't explain how crazy that sounds to me. Can you trust a bank completely? Of course not. Can you trust a bank more than Revolut? You bet your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Same poster opened another thread today along the exact same thought process except it's even more thinly connected to Ireland:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged and thread title updated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

One can practically hear them breathing heavily as they fantasise about thousands more people on the dole. Rubbing their hands with glee at the extra burden on the tax payer (Of which, I assume they are...... ahem). Phwoarrrrr!!!!!!

• something hilarious about using technology to talk about how the tech industry is crumbling.

So we’re all going back to etching on stone and communication via cans on a string?

Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's almost like they want all these "tech bros" to be unemployed so that housing prices crash.......... Sounds familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Some people have a horn for a tech industry crash because it will almost certainly precipitate a rental and to a lesser extent property crash in Dublin.

It's mad that housing has gotten so bad that people want our economy to burn (probably in the mistaken belief) that it will allow them to rent affordably or buy a home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

You would expect that since last time, which wasn't so long ago, people have learned that a significant recession in one industry always spills over to every part of the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That's very narrow minded, you do know print media actually have discussed how their time is coming to an end?

The tech industry, and Ireland, will without doubt take a major hit if we do get the much anticipated worldwide recession.

When faced with a choice of food on the table or anything else people will invariably chose food.

Thinking otherwise is like the fools that thought we would never have a housing crash, simply because we are different.

How dare we mention that little fact.

We have numpties trying to cripple our only truly indigenous industry and a hell of a lot of them work for MNCs.

As for Revolut I didn't even know they were here.

And Intel would be ones of the ones I would be least worried about, they have massive investment here unlike the ones that open up an office space, open a postbox up so that they can suddenly claim their HQ is here to avail of low taxes.

Call me old fashioned but would Revolut not be a bank/financial entity rather than a tech company ?

Or does having a web presence now mean a tech company ?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I am not allowed discuss …

• tech has taken over the world. It’s not going away no matter how broke we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

A vote for SF is a protest vote against this very tech and other MNC dependency the economy has. The IDA have flagged SF getting into power as a political risk to our whole inward investment model even. And it looks like SF have a good chance of getting into power so it isn't just cranks and loonies voting against the system in Ireland, there is more substance to it.

Unfortunately there is a bit of a trend from the last ten years or growth in western societies for people to be in favour of, not just of a recalibration or a tinkering to the system, but a full blown meltdown, burn it all to the ground, as they feel they have been totally left behind by the economic system.

This is very different to 08 and the post-08 period when the losers from the system wanted to be restored to the stake they had before; this time around the losers in the system want the system to experience a total collapse. And I am not being hyperbolic or speculative here, this is playing out in our politics and in particular with the ever rising SF support correlating to FF and FG decline in support.

In the context of global economic and political uncertainty, Ireland needs to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think a vote for SF is a vote against the billions FFG have pissed away and converted to Bad Debt Ireland Inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

How do you mean people "feel they have been totally left behind by the economic system"? That is exactly what has happened, they have been. People probably wouldn't be so gung ho into "burning it all into the ground" if there was actually some semblance of justice executed on top of the financial institutions that allowed the 2008 meltdown to occur. Nothing happened, nobody was prosecuted on any criminal offence, nobody was jailed, they were all bailed out and basically told to carry on, and you wonder why people are angry doing 'protest votes' against the same establishments that allowed this to happen?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Absolutely nothing to do with the tech industry nor even the current economic climate. The financial services industry has been in decline for at least the last 12 years or so. The reality is that the strategy of giving away services on the basis that you'd make it up by selling customers other services once you'd got them in the door did not work. Problem was, once that decision was made, nobody in senior management wanted to admit that they were wrong. And it is only now that most of these people have moved on that the changes that are needed can be made.

In the old days you could estimate the profitability of a bank by taking 3%-4% the AUM, today estimate in base points - 1/100 of one percent. Banks can't continue to loose money for ever and so the retrenchment/consolidation has begun all a cross Europe, we have already lost two banks here and the digital banks are cutting back as well. It will go on for while still and then we'll start paying realist fees for banking services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think that's true at all, the lack of prosecutions in the finance sector has nothing to do with this desire for a razing of the tech sector.

The rise against tech in Dublin is stoked by two factors imo. Their presence along with their highly paid largely imported workforce has pushed workers on ordinary salaries out of their own city. And this isn't rooted in racism or xenophobia either, just a desire to return to affordability in housing. If there was enough for everyone this wouldn't be a problem.

Secondly, and more broadly, the ever increasing unease about the power of big tech has to be driving this too. There are lots out there that would like to see these companies humbled somewhat.

The problem though is that the state is now addicted to these revenues and the loss of tech would result in another collapse in public finances. It won't be policy changes that make things more equitable.

I'm not wondering why and I don't think my post alludes to me seeking an explanation as to why so many people do feel disenfranchised and disllusioned with their lives in Ireland or wherever western, growth at all costs economy they find themselves. In fact, quite the opposite; I think I imply that the growth at all costs economics of the West is what has caused these issues.

• Advertisement

Sounds to me like you are blaming the people for deciding to envoke some sort of "protest vote" by voting for Sinn Fein. You claim ordinary people want to "burn it all down to the ground", no? My point is, the ground for them has already been burnt, ordinary people have realised the game is rigged, and not in our favour, yet we are the ones who ultimately have to pay for it. Voting is the last option left, yet you seem surprised people will rush to vote for anybody else who wasn't involved in the operation to literally burn everything to the ground back in 2008.

No, unfortunately not right now. I did recall seeing it in an article a year or so back however but just can't find it anywhere now!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I've noticed the largest job cuts seem to be coming from the saas companies that have an inflated valuation based on successful funding rounds before the product sales can match it, or in some cases the product is even released.

I work for a US company with a tech hub based in Ireland and the word on the grapevine is that it's become cheaper to run the Ireland office due to the dollar against the euro etc, combined with the fact that the company takes it's revenue from hard sales (not software) and doesn't rely on outside investment to keep the lights on.

Hard to know what the next couple of years will look like but I can't see it being so dramatic that Dublin rents and house prices collapse (or at least if it does happen I don't think it'll be caused by a short term decline in tech)

No, you're misunderstanding my main point. In the build up to 2008, the majority of people bought into the system by taking on mortgages to buy a home, an asset, which gave a stake in society and the idea of the asset growing in value over time. After 2008, these people got burned and the focus was not on learning from the mistake of letting people borrow hundreds of thousands to buy a dead asset but instead the focus was on rebuilding the broken, growth is good system.

This time it's different largely as many people are locked out of the system of owning a home, a stake in society, so they feel that the whole system is broken and rotten and should be burned to the ground as they have no interest in the current system improving or continuing its growth trajectory. These people are not an insignificant number of the electorate and will vote with their feet to clamp down on unrestrained capitalism, which is the opposite of ten years ago where people wanted their crushed dream to come back.

My point about Ireland needing to be careful is a reference to Ireland voting to ditch the MNC gravy train without having something to replace it as belts will need to be tightened with higher taxes and less public spending should the dream of voting against the system manifest in real political change.

Ahh right apologies Jim, but my main point still stands in regards my first post, I do not believe there would have been the general level of righteous anger towards the establishment, its corporate allies and the financial institutions that we are currently seeing in our part of the world from ordinary people if justice was served on the numerous corrupt and fraudulent corporate and financial institutions that basically got off scott free with no penalty whatsoever back in 08. Like you say, ordinary people are locked out of ever owning a home, yet the institutions that pushed the fraudulent criminal narrative are locked out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

very hard to find fault in the above arguement. Most industries go in cycles or maybe more to the point have a life span, Ireland wont be able to welcome MNCs forever and really need to make sure they keep thier indigenous agri/food industry at the top of the game and fighting for the global markets because outside of that we actually dont have any other industries of note. its probabaly why ireland hasnt been too affected yet with far right parties.

every other country in western world that has had these parties in last 80 years has had some large proportion of the population disenfranchised by something, they lost their stake in society. ireland never experienced this as they were coming from such desperate poverty that everything was a bonus to each generation, every new generation never had it so good, until of course now.

think of all those nations with sections of society left behind. The Germans in 1920s, Italians at end of 19th century, Northern england, south wales during 1980s, rustbelt in USA in 1990s, southern conservatives in USA in 2000s.

Scandinavians now, maybe irish conservative and rural groups will be next along with irish millenials. every time a dog gets a kicking when thier down will always just add resentment to the creature until it bites back, no matter how out of charecter that pooch may seem.

Revolut's registered office in Ireland is 70 St John Rogerson's Quay Dublin. In fact, that is the office of Matheson LLP - "the law firm of choice for international companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland." It's all about the subsidies and low taxes people. Besides, Lithuania is the EU, so you can travel there without a visa and work there too (if you're an EU citizen). I hear it's nice.

Hardly surprised that Intell (and related PC makers) are going to do a Kerch bridge if they're relying on Back to School sales! Everyone uses Apple Macs! What a strategy!

You're all going home to mammy or back to UCD to study Ag Science or something useful soon!

The thing is, with MNCs, especially the tech ones, the profits they book in Ireland don't actually relate to activities in Ireland.

As the ESRI and other bodies have been flagging for years; the country cannot be fun with a dependence on these corporate taxes as there could come a time where the money won't flow through Ireland anymore. As it is not Irish generated capital it is incredibly flexible in where it can flow. FF and FG have made no effort to diversify the economy and build a more sustainable ecosystem among SMEs and the general population, particularly renters who struggle to save any sort of cash for their future.

• Advertisement

One of many that proves you don't know what you talking about

Advertisement