Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallagher Premiership 2022-2023 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

True! But maybe they could forward fund all the teams! It's crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That would be crazy.

The teams are private entities and a lot of them have stuff other than rugby going on. Realistically Wasps are in a £35 million + years of interest bond default and owe millions hmrc.

To keep the wolves from the door Wasps probably need an injection of £50 million in the short run. That would wipe out the rfu if they had to do it for every team in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So LI, Gloucester and Bath are all down renenue from one home game this season, all others are down two. Those are pretty big holes in budgets which have to be filled.

Is it really? Most ticket revenue comes from season tickets. Clubs won't be offering refunds.

Going from 1/13th or 1/11th of of tv money might make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wasps overall debt is £35 million. How rich do you think the RFU is?

• Advertisement

Thats just the Bond debt thats in default.

Theres also revenue debt and they owe millions to the owner and to the government in refundable covid support.

The most reliable estimate of overall debt that I've seen is around £90 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This crisis is not the responsibility of the RFU to solve, its the fault of Premier Rugby Ltd for not keeping their house in order. Kicking cans down the road and hoping for the best was always going to have a crunch moment.

What I can see happening eventually is for PRL to be liquidated and new clubs to arise from the ashes of those that have failed, Sevco style, but with a board presence from the RFU.

In the meantime those that are failing need to be let fail and take their liabilities with them, but those Directors that have traded recklessly to be prosecuted accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

The death of pro rugby might not be the end of the world, and I'm only half kidding. What's going on in the premiership seems to indicate that the English game is not sustainable, and in France it's the largesse of rich guys who keep it afloat, that's professional in name only as it's not really viable as a stand alone business. Meanwhile the prospects for NZ rugby seem poor as long as the Saffers see their future in Europe. Even in Ireland the whole pro game is made possible by the national team's ability to capture TV audiences and sell tickets for the 6N, that would still happen if the game were not 'professional'. But ultimately the pro game is in trouble as a result of the size and speed of the athletes and the consequent and unavoidable (reducible but unavoidable) brain injuries that result from professional rugby. The amateur game is not subject to the same kinds of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Are you sure the TV money is going to stay the same when the exposure to fans is taking a hit?

Do you think advertisers are going to pay the same now that the exposure is lessened.

These problems will send a ripple through the league and they will have a knock on the european competition (which may have an easy solution on two pools with 9 teams)

Its sad to think after all these years and success they didnt own the hook they hung their hat on.

Well Gloucester stated they would be down £400k when their game against Worcester was called off. That does seem very high but they would obviously miss out on away fans plus other walk ups, then there would be various other forms of match day revenue. Maybe it was a net figure and Gloucester were also counting costs which had already been committed to as the game was called off at short notice.

Are you sure the tv money is a set pot to be shared amongst whoever is still standing rather than a fix amount per club? There's less games to be shown plus possibly less fans to watch with two clubs gone. Plus then big name players without a club or gone to another league (eg. DVDM). Then you have the general negative headlines and poor reflection on the league.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure. I haven't seen the contracts of course. BT are only showing 3 games most weekends so the same amount of games are being shown.

I know there is a top up of the base amount per club based on the number of games shown so there will be some increase (as with Wasps and Worcester gone there is more of a chance for games to be picked).

The total pot may go down but I'm pretty sure that the individual amount per club will definitely go up.

I dont know if it will counter the ticket sales from a game less but it will definitely partially offset it.

From a player point of view there is probably a happiness for some because it will mean two less fixtures a season, but for other players maybe younger ones trying to break into a senior team it means less opportunity.

If no championship teams were deemed eligible to be promoted recently that cant have changed much.

The premership is in a lot of trouble, its had controversy after controversy for the last few years and its facing the prospect of losing a few more marquee players to France next season.

At some stage this will all be felt by the national team.

Well it's two games less for most teams, 1/6 of their home league games. At that level, pitchside advertisers, etc. could be looking for some refund. Much of the hospitality/corporate stuff is likely sold on a game by game basis and general matchday sales gone. As I said, Gloucester's figure sounds high but I don't think clubs being down £0.5m across two games is unreasonable.

And whatever about this season, the value of tv rights, sponsorship, etc. next season could be down with the reputational damage done. I'm just saying there will be negative knock on effects for the remaining clubs.

Yea, its a big loss across the board alright, you would think wasps would have been a decent draw for fans of any team due to host them.

I dont think this is anywhere near the end of the controversy for the GP. I cant see how sarries have kept onto so many big name players, im unconvinced they are abiding by the rules but its a catch 22 for the administrators with a player like Itoje who carries the national team most days.

We have seen for years how the english clubs cant compete in Europe and its getting worse not better.

You would have to think that any GP club that doesnt own its home ground is in a precarious position.

Instead of being able to invest in facilities like Exeter are doing these clubs are just enriching some landlord and relying on debt, which might have been fine a few years ago but the weight of debt is getting heavier by the day.

Given wasps I felt that we should say that any gp club that doesn't own its home ground without mass debt is in a precarious position.

Really any club with debts due is in a precarious position as refinancing is difficult.

The P shares in the premiership are underpinning the balance sheet of a lot of the clubs. There was talk of Worcester being forced to sell at a discount. That could have its own knocking effects.

Bath would be the one I'd be worrying about, they don't own their stadium and have spent a lot trying to redevelop it with little no show for it. Not sure what way the agreement for the Rec is but they could be tied in to a fix amount for the season rather than game by game. They have underperformed for a while now and are throwing more and more money at turning it around. If they sit below Wasps and/or Worcester for a while, it wouldn't look good.

Having debts is one thing, im sure every club has some level of debt, but having it secured against a performing and revenue generating asset is a different prospect.

Stadiums can generate income from concerts, other sports, conferencing facilities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Social media rumours of two more clubs in the premiership are struggling ala Worcester and wasps

• Advertisement

Reading the accounts for all the clubs in the league would show massive debts (greater than assets) in nearly every premiership club.

I'm not sure which clubs are struggling the most.

Have you seen specific names mentioned. I've seen a suggestion that the Ealing owners were considering buying London Irish and merging the two clubs.

That would imply London Irish was one of the struggling clubs as its the only way that it would make sense imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Surely just one more club going into administration kills the entire league? Losing almost a quarter of the teams, particularly if early in the season, would completely undermine the league, how could anybody have confidence in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

The narrative in the English media this week is discussing a 10 team premiership. I wonder is another team about to fold. It looks like a complete reset of their structures over there.

Looking at the last published accounts Id say that 9 out of 11 have a dangerous level of debt.

If foe example all the premiership clubs auditors got together and said that the P shares were worth 10 million pounds 9 out of 11 clubs would struggle to refinance debt.

Also one of the teams that should be safest has a minor cash flow crisis according to rumours.

Moving from the general to the specific, Sale were very impressive in comprehensively beating London Irish last night. They are hosting 'quins next weekend before travelling to take on the Cheats. So in two weeks' time we should know whether they're genuine contenders for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bristol have just committed one of the worst try butcherings I've ever seen. Their flanker had a 20 metre clear run under the posts and a teammate outside him to pass to if required.

Louis Rees-Zammit broke his balls to track back and tackle and he managed to dislodge the ball just as the Bristol flanker was crossing the line. But he never should've managed to knock the ball out. The flanker had slowed down for a one handed glory dive. Had no idea the winger was behind him. It was Freddie Burnsesque.

Post edited by Clegg on

That, plus the pair of chances that Uren butchered, plus the idiot penalty conceded by Purdy in the 77th minute made me feel very sorry for Pat Lam. But that was an entertaining game - pity it wasn't a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Saw that on the highlights. Wondered if LRZ had committed a foul by deliberately knocking the ball over the DBL. Penalty try and YC? The flanker must be mortified. Good game though

Advertisement