Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying a pension is like donating your money to a stranger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Look at what's happening in the UK now though.

Pension funds close to collapse, all it takes it a right wing nutter to get into government, could happen in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

always keep an eye on the left to, theyre almost equally as bad, no guarantees with long term investments no matter whos in government, markets have a tendency to fcuk up from time to time, and the magic money tends to disappear during such fcuk ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yeah fair enough, I guess I just mean it's all relying on the markets, could all fall apart.

I know a lad whose 'pot' is £2.5k lower than it was last December despite him paying in around £8k since then.

....and markets are becoming more and more uncertain, we truly are living in an age of high uncertainty, but i still agree with auto opt-in, hopefully it means it helps overall incomes to rise also

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I accept that but pension investments should not be looked on as one year versus another. Over the lifetime of long term investments the gains almost invariably win out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Trying being self employed OP.

No-one to contribute to a pension scheme bar yourself.

That tends to focus the mind.

Maybe all PAYE employees and public servants should be required to do likewise, take responsibility for their own pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Absolutely

If you look at it in such a small time frame its ridiculous.

In fact now is a good time to up your AVCs contributions as units are cheaper to buy in the current market!

Buy low..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

I kinda agree with you but maybe not entirely,When you hear the Bank of England stepping in to stop Pension funds collapsing makes you fearful for having huge sums sitting in funds for years on end ,especially with the likes of Maxwell etc around.I and the company I work for have been paying 5% into fund for what will be 15 years when I retire and recently got a benefit statement saying my pension in 2024 after all those years will 1500 PA.I agree with you about focusing elsewhere,when young but build up rainy day fund if there are mortgages or kids around.The major issue for most thinking about retiring is will they inherit anything and the uncertainty around that means its a very inexact science .Most will say I never count on an inheritance but the majority get one so it is part of retirement planning.

...or maybe we should implement measures to protect the self employed, such as adequate welfare supports during moments of unemployment and/or sickness etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Most pension plans will have an "autopilot" plan where they handle the investments for you. Up to around age 45 they'll focus on high risk funds which hopefully give good returns but are susceptible to market downturns

After that they start moving your money to lower risk products like government bonds and cash funds. So theoretically you should be somewhat insulated from market downturns towards retirement

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

They taking control is a good idea though for those with some interest. Like why are UK pensions so tied into UK gilts. They should have a global market neutral fund and they should have private equity and infrastructure investment. I think it's the quality of the pension funds that's the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Pensions are a pyramid scheme of sorts - it all relies on the ever growing economy. GDP keeps going up, population keeps going up, stocks keep going up.

European population would be declining if not for immigration, and even with immigration it grows by less than 1% annually, with that rate trending downwards.

We may well see an end to the era of infinite growth, and those people yet to draw down their pensions will be left holding the bag when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

The state is not paying you anything. They are just taxing you slightly less. There is no such thing as 'Government Money'.

For me, I enjoyed myself throughout my 20s and 30s and spent any potential pension contributions on:

• booze
    • holidays
    • restaurants
    • Paying off my mortgage early (which I regret - I should have spent more on holidays)

I am pleased I did this because I enjoyed my money while I was fit and healthy. I won't be doing much nightclubing in my 70s (if I even live that long) and 80s I won't be doing anything much at all, except watching my body gradually rot. What's the point of having millions in your 70s and 80s?

I'm also aware of two elderly people in their 80s. One with a state pension and no assets and another with a private pension and assets. The former can now have a nice nursing home because of 'fair deal'. The latter doesn't want to lose all the assets they've worked hard for all their life and can't afford the €50k - €60k per year nursing home fee.

I did consider starting a pension a few years ago, but as soon as I saw that the Government help themselves to pensions after the great bubble popped, that knocked that on the head for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

See this is the problem, you see anyone who wants the money now rather than when in their 60s/70s as being irresponsible. It's all about having disposable income - most people in their 20s and even 30s don't have the luxury of having disposable income - so paying into a pension is nonsense.

I guarantee you there is a cohort out there who would have had the means to get a house deposit if they weren't blindly paying into a pension.

It not that I see it as irresponsible, I just think you are leaving free money on the table. It all depends on circumstances of course. Also not getting utility from you cash. Like I make 250+ but I bought a one bed condo, I make my own meals and I drive a used Prius. I can afford a 5 bed home and to drive a merc but it wouldn't make me any happier, the cash would be under utilized. What does make me happy? Freedom. Minimizing anxiety, being carefree to help me to make good decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

So despite you earning 250+ you still think someone in their 20-30s who in all likelihood are feeling the pinch with the cost of living etc. that paying into a pension makes good economic sense?

If you need money to get by week to week for food shelter and transport, I would not put money in a pension but a lot of people can live frugally and still have a decent life, save for emergencies and put some aside for retirement.

You can't be unemployed if you're self employed. Some days you earn, others you don't.

But it would make great sense to make every worker responsible for their own additional pension apart from the state pension. Power back to the people.

"I'm also aware of two elderly people in their 80s. One with a state pension and no assets and another with a private pension and assets. The former can now have a nice nursing home because of 'fair deal'. The latter doesn't want to lose all the assets they've worked hard for all their life and can't afford the €50k - €60k per year nursing home fee."

This bit is true, the 'fair deal' is quite the misnomer. In some cases, family pressure too, to try and stop the inheritance being flittered away towards the private nursing home industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭greyday

I did a bit in my twenties but took the view what I didn't have I wouldn't miss, got my mortgage at 22 which is now saving me having to pay out 1500 per month in rent, made sure to put a little away in a pension as I had money at the end of each week which I didn't need, continued to pay into a pension when I could afford more as I pay enough tax and like the idea of reducing it with saving me or my family will get the benefit of in the future, they might even consider looking after me at home considering they will inherit whatever I have left when I leave this world. Each to their own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

You're trying to time the market which is rarely a good a strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Is the issue not the proliferation of the lie that these retirement investments are sufficient for living off for most people? In the US context, from what I understand 401Ks and their ilk were created to encourage people to get into the stock market, not as actual replacements for guaranteed pensions.

Another step in the process to induce a sense of permanent insecurity in society. Keep people vulnerable, easy to exploit and control from businesses perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's what the OP's post is all about, pretend to others that the kamikwasi plan is coherent for the sheeple and that letting the pension funds burn down is worth it. It's all very thinly veiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No not really. I am taking the profit from the bear market and putting pension into low risk profile for a few months. It was fairly obvious that stocks had peaked. Even if I put equity back into the pension profile tomorrow and it continues to go down, I will still have a lot more units than I did a few months ago because I am going back in cheaper. The fund managers are forced to keep a certain equity % in the fund even when the whole market is sliding. That why people need to be smart. I don't do it that often.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe you could post details of your movements as you make them, so we can compare them against the market. If you ARE able to time the market, you should be doing it full-time, as you'll make a fortune. The people who have years of training, years of experience, the best of software tools aren't able to consistently time the markets, so you obviously have a really special skill.

There is a grain of truth in the OP, if you can peel away all the drama and nonsense. It doesn't make much sense for people in the 20s and 30s to be putting scarce money into a pension fund, when their most urgent need is generally to get a property. If the employer is offering matching pension funding, then it really is a no-brainer investment at any time - an immediate 100% (or better) return on your investment, once you can bear the pain of tying up the money.

If you've switched employer, you can generally 'retire' from age 50 onwards (depending on your individual scheme rules) and access your funds from previous employers at that stage.

I am not timing the markets. I reduced the % of equity in my main private pension fund. I reduced the risk profile. If you analyse the fund you can see the companies they have invested the fund. I analysed them all and decided they had peaked in general terms. So far so good. I nearly did the same when Covid hit but the initial drop was too fast and the recovery was also fairly quick. You should always know the makeup of your fund. You can even see the individual properties if you have a property segment in your fund.

Everyone does this as they approach retirement - the fund managers change your profile so it's less equity and more stable low risk investments (bonds, cash). The stepdown from risky elements is determined by age. I just decided to do it earlier than planned. I could revert to the old % of equity tomorrow and buy a lot more units than I had. Americans are a lot more active with their investments including pensions but the Irish seem to be completely hands off.

So is your plan to keep your pension % split in the lower risk fund at the current level permanently?

Or will you move a higher % back to equities in future?

No. I will eventually increase the equity % and possibly reduce the property % in a few months. Things are too unstable at the moment though. Or maybe take the 'profit' and go back into the exact same fund breakdown and let it off. Not sure. I dont even know how often I can change the breakdown. I am still 15 years off retirement so I can afford a certain level of risk still. I think most funds allow a certain number of profile changes.

Reducing equity exposure in a bear market and then moving back into equity in a bull market is trying to time the market.

You obviously seem clued in and it seems a relatively low risk approach, but it's still trying to time to market.

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough and maybe I won't go back into equity or I find funds with equities I would consider 'blue chip' (if that exists anymore). I saw that my fund had a lot of Nasdaq tech stocks and that made me very nervous. The Nasdaq has taken a hammering since. I should have moved into green funds a few years ago but I missed the boat.

Advertisement