Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

I'm afraid Attenborough is right. Studies show that the world can 'comfortably' support 2 billion people. After that, there is trouble. We are now 5+ billion in excess.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

++. The OP missed the reason for the problems we have - infighting: too many people, too little stuff. Destroying our shared environment: too many people, too few places to live/eat from. All these problems derive from human overpopulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

There's estimates at both extremes of the scale and everywhere in between. I think we could easily hold 50 billion but only as long as it's in harmony with our environment. The populations in Africa, India and China are unsustainable and causing terrible damage. They need to taper off and bring up their human development index.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

No there's a choice but most populations choose not to invest in responsibility

I think we're going off topic here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

I can't say how the graphed figures were calculated but the source of the information is clearly displayed and I seriously doubt you have had time since I posted the image to investigate properly how the figures used to generate the graph were calculated. To do some quick sums myself the latest figure I have found for security assistance from the USA for Ukraine since January 2021 is 17.5billion dollars with the GDP for the USA for 2022 expected to be 22790billion dollars. That in my rusty math works out to the security assistance being 0.08% of the USA GDP indicating the graph figure already accounts for a lot more than the simple 17.5billion dollars that is published as the amount given in direct security assistance to the Ukraine. Whether it is the .08 figure I calculated or the bigger 0.2% of GDP from the graph it is clear that it is not costing the US tax payer a whole lot and the pay back it is gttting in reducing the security risk to the global economy from future activity from a crippled russian military it is likely to be very well spent money for the future prosperity of the USA.

Post edited by macraignil on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Wouldn't really be surprising would it? Get outa jail, some weapons and gear - why the hell would you stay and suffer in a war that you've no interest in when you could skedaddle home and get back to a bit of comfort and ordinary criminal activity. Surely these lads need watching like hawks, must use up more resources than saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

First of all, saying something is nonsense doesn't make it nonsense.

Secondly, the graph likely factors all of those complexities in.

Thirdly, the aid offered by other countries extends far beyond just weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I put 'negotiations' into an English/Orc dictionary and then translated the result back into English and got 'stalling for time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

What the hell are you on about?

(post reported as absolute nonsense and misdirection)

Post edited by Slava_Ukraine on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Over 324 hits recorded in Orikhiv today

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

It’s not often you can safely conclude here that someone is completely off their rocker

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually if he wants to go down that wild comparison route; it would be more fitting that England is Russia. Invades colonises and lays claim to the whole of Ireland. The majority reject this save for some loyalists in the north. England claims those as her own and rather than just keep or invade that part, tries and fails to colonise Dublin to stick in a pro London regime, while leaving a trail of murder and destruction from Newry down to Howth. Gets pushed out of Donegal and Sligo, then "tactically" retreats back to Ulster causing murder and mayhem there for non Loyalists, while firing missiles at Dublin, Cork and Galway throughout. While calling for the destruction of the Irish people, who don't really exist in a country that doesn't really exist and only came into being in 1922. While claiming they are right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

i was with you up to this-Ukranian Army + Asov, Right Sector etc. funded by West = British Army + Armed loyalists, it makes zero sense, as the British army would be the Russian army if the situation was a parallel

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh they should be deported from Germany for stating shite like that. It would be interesting to see if they change their tune then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Economics101

Irish Nationalism, and even more so Republicanism, (whatever its faults) was not so much pro-Catholic as anti-British. Unlike Loyalism, which was much more sectarian and murdered Catholics just because of their religion. There are of course exceptions to this generalisation.

But overall your analogy is a bit strange. Luhansk/Donetsk = Free Derry (!!). If anything the analogy would be with east Ulster, mush more industrialised than the rest of Ireland 100 years ago.

Nothing more than a clever form of whataboutery?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sortof the other way around, MLRS came first, it’s based on a Bradley chassis. HIMARS was a lightened version of MLRS on a wheeled chassis, uses the same rocket pods, but only one at a time instead of the MLRS twin pack. Then France modified the fire control system on their MLRS vehicles to a “no cluster munitions allowed” one, which became LRU. (Hence the “U” for unitary warhead). The problem with LRU is that we are adding yet another new logistics line for all of three vehicles. Arguably not as capable as HIMARS, but double the capacity for targets suitable for a unitary warhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I have so many questions (edit: I don't expect you to know the answers!) about these stories of vast fleets of drones the mullahs are supposedly promising Russia (and have already started supplying according to US, with Ukraine also giving evidence they have been used in attacks, and examples have been shot down by air defences).

I also find it just quite weird the way Iran has been so gung ho to step into this war and provide extremely large amounts of modern weapons to Russia.

I wonder what they are getting out of it as it all has very little to do with them + will completely alienate EU member states that tended to try and support them in calming relations with the US and getting sanctions removed. Is it help with the nuclear weapons programme or ICBMs? I mean Russia don't care about international agreements any more (not even pretending now), unlikely nuclear proliferation is a worry once they can get weapons to try and get them out of the huge hole they find themselves in.

Can they make that many quickly or is it nonsense? Can they do it without help? Is it a back door for China to deniably restock/upgrade Russia with some new weapons by (possibly) funnelling components & machinery & maybe expertise as well into Iran's drone production.

I haven't tried to find it, but I think poster previously admitted on thread he had the old Russian flag avatar and was posting the odd bit of pro Putin rubbish purely to rile people up (sheeple & morons for supporting Ukraine vs the "enlightened" ones like him who can see "both sides" or else just don't care). So ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is the US, Nato, UK doing to fall for the banana in the tail pipe again, are they that stupid? Russia again are gathering thousands of men and gear on the Belarus border, and Lukashenko is saying again, '' oh we're just here to play Operation, drink beer, have a catch up''

Rest of world '' aw that's nice''

WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭jackboy

What can they do though? If they cross the border they will be absolutely shredded.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They could tie up Ukrainan forces and draw forces from the front heading to Kherson,

There seems a consensus Belarus will at some point be forced or by mutual agreement to enter the war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No one is there to stop them,

they'll walk in unchallenged and attack everyone they see like they did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So, Belarus are going to f*ck themselves over totally like russia did and you want the west to intervene while they do it? We'll be preparing NATO and EU membership for a new governor/leader of Belarus soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭jackboy

I’m sure Ukraine would be well prepared this time. The quality of the Russian soldiers and equipment would be much worse this time also.

This one gives stupid a new meaning,driving over mines laid over the road

From the UN vote on the illegal annexation of the 4 Ukrainian regions .

BREAKING: 143 countries votes in favour of condemning Russia's annexation of 4 Ukrainian territories

Dundalk, Co. Louth

On the 4 Russian KA 52 shot down, they Lost a fair percentage of their fleet of the latest and greatest Russian gunship they only produced 100 or so of them,

Back in the summer they already lost 15% of them they have lost at least ten in the last week or two alone

FFS the mines could be seen from the drone! Wtf were they thinking, they must have been drinking drain cleaner or something.

These guys are Lemmings not Orcs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭thomil

Just because it's not being tweeted about, that doesn't mean that Ukraine doesn't have forces guarding the border with Belarus. They were caught flat-footed when Russia actually attacked back in February, and you can be damn sure that they're not going to make that mistake again.

Don't forget that, in addition to Ukraine's own border guards and their assets, they now also have access to pretty much all of NATO's surveillance capabilities, except for some of the really secret stuff that the US keep at remote bases like Groom Lake or Diego Garcia. This includes radar satellites like the German SAR-Lupe system that are not impeded by darkness or inclement weather. They'd have quite a bit of advanced knowledge if Belarus began massing troops on the border.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

There was also a comment that Ukraine were rotating forces from the active fronts to the area north of Kyiv on a regular basis. Effectively any Belarusian forces or Russian forces from there will be facing battle hardened proven troops as well as border guards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement