Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thats easy to answer.

Little Helen will deport none of them while they use the health and welfare system and its us mugs who will foot the bill.

Oh and on the off chance a deportation order is signed they will appeal it in the courts and 3 guesses as to who will pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I remember genuine hard line right wingers years ago, saying that rape stats were the best argument against the "socio economic" blame that the left relies heavily on, and they weren't wrong.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’m not going to read 593 pages of this so my 2 cents.

I think immigration is great. I’ve met wonderful people with great outlooks on life. I have great respect for anyone who uproots themselves and travels to this island to make their life here.

Irish people traveled and continue to travel all over the world. It’d be a bit rich for us to turn people away.

As for the usual agreements against; criminality, lack of integration, clinging to their old customs. That’s not unique to modern immigration, it was always that way. It’s the second generation that really benefits and can integrate more easily. The stats disprove the criminality stories easily.

With the benefits of modern communication and better knowledge of psychology and society, let’s open our arms to the people who want to come here. We can learn a lot from each other and all lead better lives as a result.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well we got the old saw of "the Irish were immigrants once" out of the way. Minus the extremely attractive social supports of course and mostly to ex European colonies who were founded upon and wanted immigration.

And it's actually the second generations and beyond that are more likely to feel socially excluded and more likely to lean towards social problems. The various race riots in the UK weren't started by the first generation Windrush folks. The radicalism of some Islamic youth wasn't seen in the first generations. It's the following generations who are much more likely to see the pup they've been sold. This is seen in every example of European "multiculturalism". The exact same trends along ethnic and "race" lines are seen too. The stats show this.

And we don't all "lead better lives as a result". In European multicultural nations which groups are more likely to be under educated, economically disadvantaged, more involved in social issues? And a "better knowledge of psychology and society" with some history added in would clearly show this sociopolitical experiment is not nearly the rosy happy clappy picture painted by it's cheerleaders.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

We both have our views, I don’t expect you to agree with everything that I have said, I have just posted here for posterity and hopefully make one person stop and think about what I have written and consider my viewpoint.

The only point that I will respond to is the race riots. Many factors led to these events. Luckily in Ireland we have a strong social system open to all which helps prevent the deprivation that happens in other countries. Irish people, by and large, are not racist and we do not have a centuries old class system like the UK or France which also helps.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

See Sweden 3 weeks ago for how well multiculturalism works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What can I learn from a young guy coming from Africa, Asia or the Middle East with limited education, little or no English and who will be dependant on the welfare and health system that I and others like me pay for through our taxes that will better my life?

You should join The Social Democrats, you'll fit in nicely with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Any of the second generation of immigrants I've met were all as Irish as me, regardless of their background. A great addition to the country and long may it continue.

Regarding your last paragraph, we see a shift over time across the world and spanning centuries now, where inequality issues are slowly resolved and this will only continue. Instead of sitting back and complaining about problems with immigration, elected officials tackle those issues by implementing policies as such. They don't just sit there and complain about it like you seem to enjoy doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

No to unregulated immigration.

We are not going to make all of Ireland a social dumping ground, it's bad enough in the North inner city and various towns around the country already . As a recent returnee I was shocked to see the state of some of the areas in Dublin.

If you want unregulated immigration of tens of thousands of people with questionable backgrounds and low levels of education and skills let them all move into YOUR neighbourhood beside YOUR house.

We should want people who contribute their skills to our nation and will integrate and not be a drain on our very limited resources. And we want to know who they are first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Go for a walk around inner city dub and see for yourself. Start off at the top of O connell Street and you'll have your eyes opened

• Advertisement

There are macro and micro considerations to topics such as this. The great people you've met belong to the micro, however the macro shows a very different perspective when you account for welfare statistics, unemployment, racial and domestic abuse, etc. That's the concern of most posters here. Considering the macro issues that are going to directly affect both Irish culture, and "all" the people who live here.

No regular poster to this thread is against immigration. Most posters want more of the skilled labour who can provide for themselves, and easily get new jobs should their initial employment disappear. The fear is with a looming recession, those unskilled migrants will be the first to lose jobs, and because of Ireland's generous policies, gain access to welfare... throughout the whole recession period. There's no shortage of threads on boards talking about the negatives of the welfare state, and how that relates to Irish people.. so it shouldn't be hard to consider the effect that tens of thousands of migrants (without generational wealth to help support themselves) will impact the economy.

As for your list of usual agreements against.. the stats don't disprove the criticisms of immigration because it is the 2nd/3rd generations from migrants most likely to be involved in drug abuse, social/racial violence through gangs (through their need to belong as they feel unaccepted by both their parents culture and that of the mainstream culture), etc. The same problems that native groups face but compounded by the lack of belonging, which is particularly important when considering ethnic groups who aren't "white". You can dismiss these concerns, but that doesn't change that they exist, and have manifested in every nation that pushed multiculturalism.

As for a lack of integration, I'm still waiting for an explanation of what integration is, and how we are supposed to measure the success or failure of people to integrate. Assimilation was an easy transition to explain and measure. Integration? Nope. Nobody seems willing to pin themselves down to defining it. It's a political term that means nothing. We heard it from Germany at the height of when they pushed multiculturalism, and now, we're hearing of the failure of integrate, but no definite explanation of what it means. Although in Germany's case it's the massive failure to get migrants to speak/write German, even though it tends to be a legal requirement for employment.

With the benefits of modern communication and better knowledge of psychology and society, let’s open our arms to the people who want to come here.

Actually, it's the better knowledge of psychology and social/group patterns that's telling us how unwise it is to do just that. In the past, much of societal research was based along projections and wishful thinking, coached in vague language to pander to their political parties/lobbies (who provided the funding). Now, there's actual statistics and research showing the wide range of negatives.. and the political attitude isn't to push the same pro-multicultural perspective. As long as you avoid the US based academic papers, you'll find that European research is showing a progressively negative perspective of what immigration has done to European societies and economies.

Now doubt you'll shrug all this away, and continue whistling in "la la land". Your first post suggests as much.. as does your second, but really, you should consider all that's involved because it won't be you that pays for all of this but your children, nieces/nephews, etc. We can shrug off most of the negatives, because we're so far behind France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark.. I could list more, but if you haven't gotten the point yet, you never will.

Well away from the leafy sheltered surroundings of our overlords.

Id say not one of them has walked down O Connell street in years and witnessed what a kip it has become.

The thing is, without travel documents you can't deport someone, no airline will accept them.

If you can prove that they flew in on flight A, then, you can return them to the place they came from, absent those travel documents... because the travel itinerary, will contain their passport information, and the systems of the airport/government offices from the place of origin will contain that persons documentation.

The onus for proving the validity of travel documentation is on the original point of departure. Not the destination. Otherwise, why would I have to display my passport to 3,4,5 different points of access before reaching the departure point? If they didn't matter, why would I need to show my passport at all and instead just wave my ticket around? It's not a bus ticket. There's a difference, and we know that there's a difference.

I know you're not defending them, but the logic being used here is... flawed. There are so many ways to identify travellers who come by air, especially if they use a connecting flight before reaching Ireland..

I agree. These people should be deported, although I do think we need to do something more. An international database accessible by every nation and airport,which would forever show the personal details, images, and fingerprints of this person. A European wide ban on this person travelling within the EU, which would be unable to be appealed for twenty years.

There needs to be a reason for people not to do it. Deportation isn't any kind of punishment, especially, if the Irish State ends up paying for it. I know guys who were deported from China and Japan for staying past their expired visa periods, and they laughed it all away as some kind of joke... because there were no long-term consequences for their actions. Some minor fines, but nothing more than that. If we want to discourage such behaviour, then the consequence has to matter with a sliding scale of punishment for repeat offenders.

How about immigration officers at the end of the stairs of each plane.

No documents when exiting? Well then it’s up to the airline to deal with them, back on plane they go.

I'd simply automate it. A door/booth system with a scanner for the passport/fingerprints/personal details provided at the point of departure, and with the airline staff trained in it's use (from their side). They used to have these kind of things at the border crossing from Shenzhen into HK for a while. Very easy to use although they removed them later. China loves the personal touch. And there would still be the immigration and customs booths further along.

No need to further increase demands on Dublin airport staff, who seem to struggle with their existing duties. 😁

What in gods name do the government plan to do with these 1000s of undocumented men from Africa??

What makes you think there is a plan?

haha.

Just think of the manner of our politicians over the last decade or two with regards to immigration, or better yet, the Ukraine situation. They had time before the conflict kicked off to start getting prepared. Nada. Then, there was the period between the actual conflict, and the refugees starting to arrive. Nada. The "Plan" was for Irish people to open up their homes. Anything to avoid the politicians providing definite plans that they could be examined over later.

There is no plan. They just want more here because it makes Ireland "diverse". It fits in with their shallow appreciation for the consequences to their virtue signalling. After all, they won't have to bear any responsibility for anything negative that comes from this.

Their pensions, and benefits are guaranteed.

There is asylum seekers staying above the school in Gormanston at the moment.

Its the old boarding rooms at the top floor of the school.

So are all these people Garda vetted?

You have to be Garda vetted when working in a school with being close to children etc…….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Am I over simplifying this as possible solution to the passport/document trashing?

Immigration control at the steps/air bridge of aircraft. Boarding pass and passport/document are shown and are in order. Passengers from non EU countries (with some other exceptions) board plane with b/pass only and passports are held by security. Plane is loaded. The passports/docs from non EU are bagged up (poss separated in three - M, F, kids) and put in the hold.

Flight lands. Security is first to plane to collect bags of passports from hold and takes them to immigration control. Plane disembarks. Some extra time allocated to sort it out, but what the hell. Cheaper than paying for chancers in hotels for years. Wouldn't have to be done for too long either as word would soon spread - 'Soft touch Ireland has copped on'

I don't see much substance in this post. Granted I just skimmed. I just see generalising and the presupposition that immigrants have "macro issues" and for whatever reason are incapable of... being normal citizens? The majority of people don't accept these presuppositions that immigrants by and large are "bad" so it's difficult to engage with this kind of post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So are all these people Garda vetted? 

You have to be Garda vetted when working in a school with being close to children etc…….

So what would they require Garda vetting for then? I’m not sure you understand the point of Garda vetting at all tbh.

Who needs to be Garda vetted?

You must be Garda vetted if your work or activity at a relevant organisation involves access to children or vulnerable adults. This includes staff, contractors, agency workers, volunteers, and anyone on a student placement or apprenticeship in:

• Childcare services
    • Schools
    • Hospitals and health services
    • Residential services or accommodation for children or vulnerable people
    • Treatment, therapy or counselling services for children or vulnerable people
    • Services that provide leisure, sporting or physical activities to children or vulnerable people
    • Services that promote religious beliefs

Self-employed people

Garda vetting is not carried out for people on a personal basis. If you are self-employed, you can only submit a vetting application through a relevant organisation, as defined in Section 2 of the Act.

Private security employees

Under the Private Security Services Act 2004private security employees (for example, bouncers and nightclub security staff) must be Garda vetted.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/data_protection_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html#leacca

There are quite literally millions of ‘unvetted males’ and ‘unvetted females’ in Irish society. Vetting is nothing more than an arse-covering measure for organisations to promote the perception at least that they are compliant with regulations regarding working with and having access to children and vulnerable adults. Asylum seekers are far more likely to be categorised as vulnerable, and it is the people working with them, would usually be required to be vetted.

Article 21 of the Directive 2013/33/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of Europe which defines the standards for the reception of applicants for international protection defines a vulnerable person as follows -

PROVISIONS FOR VULNERABLE PERSONS

Article 21

General principle

Member States shall take into account the specific situation of vulnerable persons such as minors, unaccompanied minors, disabled people, elderly people, pregnant women, single parents with minor children, victims of human trafficking, persons with serious illnesses, persons with mental disorders and persons who have been subjected to torture, rape or other serious forms of psychological, physical or sexual violence, such as victims of female genital mutilation, in the national law implementing this Directive.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32013L0033

On that basis, I’m really not sure what you’re expecting, or what you understand by vetting, or who exactly you think vetting applies to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Did you not read anything he wrote?

He said there's refugees of unknown provenance living over a school.

Does that sound appropriate to you?

I can't believe that's actually permitted! What a clusterfuck.

I did read exactly what they wrote, and they didn’t write that there were refugees of unknown provenance living over a school. They wrote that there were asylum seekers staying above the school in Gormanston at the moment, which is a hell of a lot more accurate than your interpretation of their post.

They also pointed out, rightly, that people working in a school have to be Garda vetted (I wasn’t going to quibble over the fact that parents volunteering to accompany children on school outings don’t require Garda vetting, I knew what the poster meant), but the asylum seekers in question are not working with vulnerable persons, and therefore aren’t required to be vetted, and they’re not of unknown provenance either, they’re Ukrainian -

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2022/09/27/parents-concern-over-ukrainian-refugees-housed-in-school/

The only reason I’d suggest it isn’t appropriate is because the accommodation being provided isn’t suitable for their needs, but then I understand we’re in the middle of an emergency situation and they’re trying to make room wherever they can for asylum seekers and refugees. ‘Tis a clusterfcuk alright, no question about that, but I understand at the same time people are doing what they can to try and accommodate everyone. Given the circumstances, it’s not appropriate, nor is it ideal, but there’s no suggestion of any inappropriate behaviour other than the refugees running around upstairs -

"The children can hear them running around upstairs. They should not be living in a school. It does not matter what country they are from or what circumstances, if they came from Cork we would be saying the same thing.

I’d be saying the same thing too, I don’t care where they’re from - NO RUNNING IN SCHOOL!!

Schools every year are being gouged for insurance premiums because they’re having to cover compensation claims made by parents whose children injure themselves running on the school grounds, tsk, filthy urchins with no manners carrying on at that sort of horseplay, uncultured ignorance, very concerning 🧐

Indeed

So after all you have listed and all your EU rules on protecting vulnerable people and children.

You have just proven my point that there is no Garda vetting to protect Kids in this country at present from people who could be criminals. Not saying they are.

But we don’t really know if they aren’t as they have no documentation when they arrive.

All the while living above a school where kids attend 5 days a week.

The accommodation isn’t suitable for their needs??!

Well no **** Sherlock, putting undocumented people we know nothing about over a school isn’t suitable!?!!!!

Who would have thought it..

Bravo, it only took you most of the night to realise this…

Ah sure it will grand……

On the contrary, I don’t know how my pointing out that Garda vetting does not apply to asylum seekers or refugees proves your point about anything. Garda vetting is simply irrelevant in the context of refugees and asylum seekers, unless they’re working with vulnerable persons, and then that same vetting applies to most people working with vulnerable persons.

I pointed out that the important thing about Garda vetting, or any kind of vetting for that matter, doesn’t actually do anything to protect anyone or prevent anyone who is so inclined from harming vulnerable persons. It’s more of a reassurance of sorts for their employers and the people who use the services of their employers, that should anyone be harmed, the employer or organisation can point to the idea that they are compliant with legislation regarding protection of vulnerable persons.

Well that’s a fairly shìtty assessment of the situation there Watson. YOU know feckall about the people you’re complaining about, and you have no right to know anything about the people you’re complaining about, they have the right to be protected too, the right to privacy and all that sort of good stuff which basically means you don’t have the rights you think you do, no matter what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

Nice bit of anecdotal evidence in your first paragraph.

And on your second paragraph, if over spanning centuries 'inequality issues are slowly resolved' I presume you aren't talking about money/income.

I have provided a link that includes this on Ireland:

"Whilst the World Inequality Report 2022 does not look specifically at Ireland, recent research from NERI, based on Eurostat figures finds that “inequality in Irish wages between the bottom (the 10th percentile) and the top (the 90th percentile) is higher than in any other high-income European country by some margin.” [5] The purpose of economic development should be to improve the living standards of all the population, not just those at the top. Earning a living wage is vital if households are to enjoy a decent standard of living."

These century long policies don't seem to be having much of an effect, if anything the policies are making things worse.

LOL, this is why I love this thread, completely missed the point and went on about some weird stuff. Good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Just listened to the Regina Doherty interview from yesterday with Kieran Cuddihy. Truly horrifying what these people want to do to our country and how out of touch they are with the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

She also said Romania took in 100 million Ukrainian refugees, and that they are happy to sleep in mud sheds in Moldova 🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement