Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Israel Get way with this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

egypt had no option but to blockade access for israel as israel were going to use it to invade egypt in the first place along with other countries.

egypt suffered a bit but israel's ultimate border expansion efforts were stopped meaning they can only expand in the weak areas.

their access was restored but the big prize was lost thankfully.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

How dare Egypt nationalise a man-made feature running through their own country! If I was Israel I would have invaded a sovereign state too for the sake of greed and power... 🙄

Amazing how history as recent as 70 years ago can elude people. Just shows the success of the Israeli propaganda machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,228 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

70 years ago? Jesus, some people have trouble remembering just the last 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The day to day workings of the apartheid regime.

"Israeli troops have sealed shut the offices of several Palestinian human rights and aid organisations, after saying last year it would designate them as terrorist organisations.

Soldiers raided the offices in the occupied West Bank at dawn, taking away paperwork and welding shut front doors.

Israeli authorities allege the groups are a front for a militant faction.

The claim is rejected by the groups themselves and has been dismissed by European donor countries."

"Nine European Union states, including France and Germany, have said they will keep funding the organisations as Israel has not proved its claims."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-62593244

More regarding the above -

"A classified CIA report shows the agency was unable to find any evidence to support Israel’s decision to label six prominent Palestinian NGOs as “terrorist organizations”.

"In October, Israel labeled as terror groups Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, Al-Haq, the Bisan Center for Research and Development, Defense for Children International–Palestine, the Union of Agricultural Work Committees, and the Union of Palestinian Women Committees."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/22/cia-report-israel-palestinian-rights-groups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

The fact that America backs Israel to the hilt gives it huge global clout and coverage against a backlash which would hurt them. It's nigh impossible to criticise Israel without being labelled an anti-semite. Their treatment of the Palestinian people, whose land their country is on, is terrible. All the more given Jewish treatment at the hands of the Nazi's which was barbaric.

Testimony by former members of the IDF concerning settler violence in the occupied territories

"This booklet presents testimonies by soldiers about violent actions perpetrated

by settlers, and follows on from 'The High Command,' a testimony booklet that

we published in 2017 about settler influence on IDF conduct in the West Bank.

These testimonies, like many others, describe a reality marked by unending harm

to and threat toward Palestinian people, property and land. The acts described here

include different kinds of violent attacks, including beatings, stone-throwing and

burning of agricultural fields and groves."

https://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/inside/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/OnDuty-Testimonies-En.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 82,506 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well la di da, hey maybe we killed her oops sorry for denying that and sparking more bloody conflict about it

It's sad to think that the main - if not only - reason they've botherd owning up to it at all was the fact she was a US citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I wonder where all the Hasbara shills from a few weeks ago with all their “evidence” that she was killed by Hamas are this morning??

• Advertisement

Once again, it seems that the ownership of a US passport grants a special status to the victim of systematic Israeli brutality. Still, may good come of it.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-said-scrutinizing-idf-ultra-orthodox-unit-with-reputation-of-rights-abuses/

A good article from an Israeli "refusnik"

"Why is public opposition minimal? Why isn’t there a large, influential camp of Jews in Israel who are saying “enough.” How is it that a technologically advanced, well-educated and wealthy society has not expressed almost any opposition to what is clearly a terrible crime? One of the main reasons is the diet of awareness we are fed when we are children and teenagers. As someone who has just completed 12 years of study I can tell you that morning, noon and night the school system feeds us ultranationalism, militarism and violence."

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/2022-09-06/ty-article-opinion/.premium/after-12-years-of-being-taught-to-hate-im-going-to-prison-today-to-say-no/00000183-1470-d0bd-a5d7-147d179a0000?lts=1662550183615

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

Sums it up perfectly for me, yet no such sanctions against Israel and their main sponsors USA. Yet people fawning over the Ukrainians and wanting Russia eliminated from the world. Wonder what the reaction would have been if hypothetically America or one of its Western Allies had done the same to Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

170k at this pride parade, 250k some years, Tel Aviv being one of the most gay friendly cities in the world.

A short distance away, homosexuality means death honour killings are legal. Even when the family have to track you down.

How does Israel get away with it, being a gay Mecca, in the part of the world where the death penalty still stands for being gay, if your family and local community don't kill you first.

This is how:

The **** is this?

Some excuse for murdering a journalist?

I believe the term is "pinkwashing". It tends not to mention that Israel uses homosexualty as a black mail weapon to make Palestinians turn informant. It's rather silly, in that you're talking about a regime that runs an apartheid system in the OT, yet because they're nice to Israeli gay folk its somehow ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,228 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In an Irish context, Palestine is a proxy for northern Irish Catholics and Israel for the British government. Therefore Palestinians can do no wrong and Israelis can do no right.

It's a big hobby horse for the Shinners, many of whom couldn't locate it on a map.

• Advertisement

How does Israel get away with this?

Note the emphasis on Israel. No threads on Saudi Arabia, Myanmar, Brazil, Ethiopia, China - and the dozens of other countries that also could be criticised.

Yet Israel, being the only democracy in the Middle East, gets targeted.

It gets targeted because of anti-Semitism. People hide their racism, they always have. Very few people will come out and admit their racism. Hatred toward Jews is nothing new. Just look at how anti-Semitism spiralled out of control in the UK when a far-left leader in Corbyn made it to the top.

If the journalist was killed - accidentally or otherwise - clearly that's a wrong.

But the bigger picture is, as I say, rooted in a dislike for the very existence of a Jewish state.

And yes, a tiny number of Jews - like Chomsky - are critical. But you also had gay men against gay marriage. You'll always find extreme exceptions to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Stop with the Anti-Semitism card.

If I criticize Saudi Arabia (and rightfully so) does that mean I am an Islamophobe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Israel are the ones mentioned as they are the ones committing a slow genocide and they are getting away with it. Jews who don't commit violence are lovely people but Israeli soldiers who murder are scumbags. People who are critical of Israel are not racist, they just happen to think murdering women and children is wrong. If a black man kills a child am I racist if I think he should be punished?

The politics of the conflict are long and complex, and the sporadic fighting that occurs on both sides yields deaths. That's regrettable.

But I once played a game with old friends of the left many years ago. I tried this experiment with at least 4 people. So I pretended to be on their side, so to speak - the whole "Israel is evil" shtick you see on this kind of thread. Anyway long story short, I hinted at the conspiracy theories / typical racist crap you hear about Jews. I deliberately didn't suggest I supported the theories / racist tropes, but I made sure that they were referenced. I of course find those racist conspiracy theories bonkers, but out flowed the anti-Semitism from all four friends. It varied in extremes, of course, but it was lurking underneath all the time. In other words, give a racist an opportunity to reveal his racism and he'll take it. Suffice to say they aren't friends of mine any more. This was many years ago, but it's relevance remained with me. I've even done this with strangers, and you yield the same outcome quite a lot of the time.

But when it came to general conversations in public about the conflict, you get the usual rehearsed responses that you have summoned.

So I'm willing to grant that, like most countries in the world, Israel is imperfect. The journalists shooting I obviously loathed. But no matter how much legitimate criticism I grant, I still maintain my underlying premise: that given a chance, the people who claim to be selectively critical of Israel for honest and decent reasons, when you really, really press them, harbour some pretty unsightly views about Jewish people. It's widespread among the left for a reason.

We can all bury our heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist, but it does exist.

And as we both know the vast majority of the deaths are on the Palestinian side. Ah so a few people think something so you assume everyone must have the same opinion.. so if I meet a few foreign people who are against gay people then that means all foreign people are against gay people yeah? You sound like you haven't put any actual thought into what your saying.

Rehearsed? Do you have an issue with genuine facts? Do you think we should ignore the fact that Israel are murdering women and children?

Anti semitism in Ireland is rare. In any case claiming anti semitism is sidestepping the fact that a slow genoside is happening.

Let's put it like this: if Israel were a Sunni Islamic country, and Palestine were a Shia Islamic country, I don't think we'd be hearing anywhere near the level of condemnation for the Sunni Islamic country. Perhaps a peripheral groan, but nothing more than that.

Replace Sunni Islam with Jewish, and bang, things have suddenly changed.

I simply do not believe that if Israel were a Sunni Islamic country, we'd see anywhere NEAR the same level of condemnation.

The main reason for the condemnation is because one side is slaughtering the other, a bit like Russia and Ukraine. Only one side is murdering Women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

That's because most of the most influential and powerful Sunni countries are backed up by the USA. For example, Any time anybody criticizes what is going on with Saudi Arabia these days, they are ultimately going to be labelled a 'putinbot' or some other make of juvenile shameshow nonsense. All the while, filth like Saudi Arabia can bomb places like Yemen back into the stoneage or worse, and there isn't a word about it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭MFPM

To suggest as you do that Israel is targeted because of antisemitism is simply absurd and without foundation. Are there people who are anti-Semitic, yes, but to reduce the opposition to the mass murder, torture, incarceration and subjugation of the Palestinian people by successive Israeli governments and their shock troops in the IDF to antisemitism is dishonest and reductive?

The myth of antisemitism under Corbyn has been shown for the sham it was by the Al Jazeera investigative series, Starmer and his cronies have run for cover and have refused to comment on it.

• Advertisement

If Israel were a Sunni Muslim nation, fighting against a Shia Muslim "palestinian" group, do you seriously think the focus on this land would be the same?

Advertisement