Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish womens team singing 'Up the Ra'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Were told sports people are role models for children. Are we suggesting women are Naive vs the male counterparts ? Stupid song should never have been sung. Simple People in the 50s lived in part through the troubles. At least they have an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buachillsalach

Woke community out in force here.

Great result, nothing to apologise for. Any Irish publications/ outlets giving this air time are completely sad.

I think I hear some kids singing ring a ring a Rosie, must dash and lecture them on how offensive that is to ancestors of people that died during the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Idiots. They have a lot to learn about being in the gaze of media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Rte are a disgrace, worse than that smug git on sky news. Had to turn off the TV in disgust at the hatchet job they put out on the news.

Also people should learn to keep their phones in their pockets, the girls are entitled to celebrate their great achievement anyway they like without it getting posted online.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

It will blow over and better to have happened now rather than at the World Cup itself. Going forward, they definitely need a full time team advising them on their public image and do’s and dont’s of social media.

Tough lesson to learn but take the positives out of that, ladies. You are a big deal now. You are elite sportswomen and young girls and boys throughout the country want to be you! You’re going to the World Cup!

• Advertisement

Wasn’t it one of the team themselves that recorded and posted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Usual lot out taking offence for others... Multi generational failure to educate our young footballers apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Xander10

The reserve Goalkeeper recorded it and posted it online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’ve listened to it a few times and it does sound to me that some were singing ‘up their ass’ when in certain locations or at certain times depending on varying issues.

Now I do understand why some people may think it’s inappropriate but the disingenuous shock by the Sky Sports presenter when every time they show Celtic play you hear clearly the crowd singing these exact words, and they never cut the sound or apologise for it.

Now interestingly, the faux outrage seems to dissipate when sport players, tv personalities and dignatories wear a Poppy. Now I’m going to be clear on this I have no issue with anyone who wishes to wear, promote and are proud of it and what it means. But you can’t choose what offends you but disregard a possible offence with the other.

Now you often hear that the Poppy is a symbol to remember the soldiers who lost their life in World War I and future peace. Which on the face of it is not controversial but when you consider it was the same soldiers who came who in 1916 executed the leaders of the rising, tying James Connolly to a wooden chair to face the firing line as he was too badly injured to stand to his death?

They disregard the fact that the poppy that honours the Black and Tans and the Parachute Regiment who shot 28 unarmed civilians on a 1972 Sunday in Derry during a peaceful protest against internment?

Now I suppose an argument could be made that the English team wouldn’t wear one if they came to Ireland equally they didn’t sing that alleged song in England. It was Celtic park where it is sung continuously.

if one is a historic symbol or remembering historic soldiers then so is the other as they are disbanded (allegedly).

Instead of interviewing an amazing sports person on their achievement, all that was discussed is someone getting offended because they heard a song.

What next they can’t sing Bloody Sunday because it characterises them as bad.

Be brilliant if there was a social media campaign to get it to number 1 in the British charts, similar to Black and Tans and the Wolfe Tones winning the BBCs 2002 poll of best song of all time with ‘A Nation once again’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Uh ahhh Paul McGrath, uhhh ahhh Paul McGrath... was how I remember it , which came first the chicken or the egg .

When I seen the clip of them singing the other version. I was like ohhh no, nooo, this isn't happening oh dear

This is probably just getting caught up in the excitement and next thing they're going hell for leather.

Definitely wasn't intentional to offend anyone, just words at the end of the day.

Hopefully it'll blow over and there's no need to guilt shame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Well then tell that to the player that thought it was fine to live stream from her Instagram account.

I have no issues as long as nobody here does if any of the Home Counties sing about the uvf, being up to their knees in fenian blood etc etc

just harmless fun….. apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Delighted they sang it not so delighted they apologised for it.

Why Would people who live in the counties surrounding London like Surrey and Kent either know about the UVF and if they did want to sing about them but if they did it would actuallly be hilarious. Be no offence taken with me.

Would you be the type to take offence when Limerick Hurling Team sing Sean South from Garryowen which is about an IRA military column who were doin be g a raid on an RUC barracks in Brookeborough?

They should be the one dragged on the news to apologise so. I was very sad to see a visibly upset Katie McCabe being thrown to the vile media.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ironic how the media world is falling over itself to support a country that is defending themselves from an occupied force yet are so quick to judge when people sing songs that hark back to a time when a portion of the population had to deal with military forces on street corners and hiding in ditches.

Like everything its more nuanced than that but it is something the people who are quick to be outraged should consider before they go mouthing off in the media looking for the next click bait story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The IRA murdered innocent children . Blew them to pieces . There is nothing wrong to say it was ill-judged. They apologised and we move on . There is no need to defend it like some are .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They let themselves down. Of that there can be little debate. If that were a national team from the North singing about the UFV it would be highlighted too. Its a great achievement that has been tarnished by this lapse in judgement. Never mind the media. They are vultures.

I 💯 agree with your point. But I don’t think singing a song that doesn’t promote violence. It’s about Celtic. Again if I heard the Northern Ireland football team singing the Sash wouldn’t bother me at all.

is Broad Black Brimmer out?

Is 4 green fields out

Is come out ye Black and Tans gone.

And I don’t condone any act of violence and what happened on both sides was abhorrent. But equally the UK security forces murdered 64 babies and young children at the same period.

This has nothing to do with promoting violence, glorifying terrorism or inciting hatred. It’s about singing a hugely popular song in Hampden Park where it’s been sung a million times before but now it’s offensive.

• Advertisement

She’s the captain and being the spokeswoman for the team is part of her duties. She was calm and composed. Putting the reserve goalkeeper in front of the cameras may have been a very bad idea.

The manager told us that some of the team had been crying about it. I’m a woman and we are an emotional species. It’s not worth pretending we’re not. But that’s not the image the women’s team should be portraying. They’re strong and fearless on the pitch and that’s how we should think of them off pitch too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,537 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nothing at all to apologize for, if anything I like that team even more for showing a bit of national pride.

We need more James McClean types in Ireland and less Kevin Myers types.

Up the Ra

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Has to go down as one the most odd/random things to do. Female soccer players, all very young, qualify for a WC, and are jumping around a dressing room singing up the RA? Wtf..where did this come from..

what was wrong with Ooh ah, Paul McGrath!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The song itself is awful it's just the line Up the Ra that's not really that harmless

If the Iraq ladies team qualified and start singing songs with Up Isis in it , that would be frowned upon aswel .

Nobody is saying they are bad people etc it was just ill-judged .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

“——— we would all have been pro IRA ————“ !!!!!!!!!!????????

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spot on. It’s 2022 and we have an Irish ladies soccer team chanting up the RA on British soil after winning a soccer match. Weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Im at the stage of my life that when I hear anyone chanting "up the ra" I just roll my eyes and silently pass judgement on those singing it that they are a bit dim. The team made a huge error in judgement and have given the English and Irish media an excuse to overshadow what was a massive achievement for our little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

This is exactly what I thought. I was expecting to see all the latest Tick Tock trends coming out of the dressing room, you know all those silly dances etc. The last thing I was expecting from a bunch of late teens/early 20s girls was the Wolf Tones. Strange.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was a great result for women's sport. Roll on the world cup.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

SAAAAAAM Missiles in the sky

Tiocfaidh ár lá!

Sing up the Ra!

Ooh ah up the Ra, Ooh ah up the Ra!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement