Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Sportswashing" in Football - 2022

• 06-07-2022 2:48pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The question of sportswashing and moral issues with footballs relationship with certain states and entities arose today in the General Premier League Thread today so I am setting this thread up to allow for discussion of such issues.

One of the items mentioned was that Mainz fans protested about playing Newcastle:

Last week we saw Watford announce (on a Friday evening) they would have a friendly in Qatar but that was cancelled by Monday following their own fans protesting.

Personally I have found the growth of state involvement in football clubs troubling, FIFA don't even allow it at International level but in club football the PSG president can also be president of European Club Association, on the UEFA executive committee while also chairman of Bein Sports who buy tv rights.

Sponsorship is another type of sportswashing in my view and over the years one troubling area or sponsorship is replaced by another as brands seek to become more acceptable. As pressure is growing to so something about betting companies we are seeing relationships with new types of sponsors appears such as potentially unstable crypto and NFT's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Crypto and NFT's are out and out scams pyramid schemes basically the arse is falling out of them now and they'll be gone bust and hundreds/thousands will lose it all. They are far worse than betting companies who are legit and pay taxes etc these are essentially scams and criminal networks.

As for sportswashing unless you have a time machine to go back to 2003 and stop the then Russian governor of the Chukotka Autonomous Oblast Roman Abramovich from buying Chelsea, you can't stop it as the old saying goes money talks and clubs and leagues will always welcome that kind of investment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Regulations can be brought in to change future agreements from ownership and governance models to sponsorship.

Ownership rules in England, Germany (50+1 and long term investors) and Spain (two groups Plcs and Socio Owned) all vary.

Fans can protest, can withdraw their support from clubs. I am not saying they should or that I expect them to but the conversation can't only be 'you can't stop it' so should just look away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Shrewsbury Town vs Qatar SC, scheduled for today, has been cancelled, after fan protests.

It has now been turned into an "open" training session for all the fans who are in Spain at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The ship has sailed. Numerous clubs are owned in this way, including some of the elite clubs in the game. Newcastle won't be the last either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm probably going to be alone on this but I have much more of an issue with the new Burnley owners.

Yes Saudi Arabia is a horrible country with horrible leaders, but they aren't going to destroy a local club. They have to spend their money somehow and investing money in a team and the local area like at man City seems like a good use of the money.

Burnley on the other hand are going to fall down the league as their owner asset strips them after a leveraged takeover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Not disagreeing with the issue of how they acheieved a buy out or the loans that became repayable but what assest stripping is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sport-washing has been normalised and it’s hard to see how uefa or fifa (themselves filthy from the top down) can be expected to govern or regulate it in any meaningful way.

I’d rather United was mismanaged by the incompetent yanks then was coked up on blood money, but I get that some fans don’t really have any morals (or understanding) on this topic.

I don’t think it’s too late to change things round , look at how quickly they got Roman out of Chelsea. But bigger clubs in the EPL, means bigger players , means more Sponcorship and more money for the tv rights. The issue there is no will or incentives to make the changes , doing the right thing is costly. The EPL refusing cash injections is like FIFA rewarding the World Cup to the country that doesn’t bribe the most amount of voters.

It’s really sad how corrupted the entire sport is from the top down…

I know woods was let go because his release clause was met.

But mcneil, cornet and Collins are on their way for huge money with replacements from league one being lined up. High earners such as mee, and tarkowski are being let go.

Weghorst been sent out on loan

Now if those players don't go, or are sufficiently replaced then I'll admit I was wrong. Otherwise assets from Burnley are being sold to cover loans the owners used to buy the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Football was rotten to the core long before the likes of the Qataris or Saudis appeared.

Just new players on the scene.

Fans won't care too much about where the money comes from, if it allows them to compete and brings them good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Nail on the head here. Sportwashing is part of the overall corruption issue within football.

If it's making the guys at the top money they don't give a f*ck about what the fans think.

• Advertisement

The biggest lie in football has been "for the fans".

Fans are an after thought, and have been for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Barca and Madrid give out about sports washing and the big oil clubs.

Yet as recently as January, they faced each other in the spanish cup semi final in Riyadh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I've been wondering over the last few days how the average fans of Newcatle & Man City two cub with huge major foodbanks collections outside their staduims on match days will view there owners this winter.

Now with their owners backing Russia and the other OPEC Countries in slowing down oil production which will mean for many of the struggling fans who this winter will more than likely struggle even more to heat their homes and fill their cars with petrol as prices rise and line the pockets of their owners will that even effect their thoughts on the ownership of their clubs.

Or will they just blame the Tories and keep cheering their Middle East owners because they buy them new players.

I'm going to go with Option B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

or will the average fan watch the WC this winter - dont think I have been so under-whelmed for a WC ever - was it 8 years ago FIFA delivered the WC to Russia and Qatar , corruption and greed is not just at City and Newcastle its widespread , except at the grass roots local level. Gary Neville is still virtue signalling about football, and yet is going to be a pundit from Qatar this winter. Total hypocracy.

What is your expectation of these fans? What do you expect of the peson who has a season ticket for the past 20 years? The person who goes to one or two games a season and the person who just watches on the TV? Do you want a stadium boycot, protests, support the team but dont buy the merch?

Which alternative bidder do you think the clubs should have been sold to?

As a Newcastle fan I feel the issue is beyond me, the people who run English football think this ownership is fine (because £££), the people who oversee them (UK goverment, FIFA, UEFA) think the ownership is fine (because £$€) so what can I realy do - why does the moral responsibility fall to the fans?

And don't forget Mr Nice Guy David Beckham, already worth a reported 400 million, feels he needs another few million so badly that he will promote the Qataris too.

Football has stunk for the last decade or more. Its all about money now. And for that reason, the ESL will happen some day. Fact.

Ah yeah but David Beckham queued for 12 hours to see the Queen's coffin so he has a great PR team.

Sports washing works no question about that and City and Newcastle fans are only a small part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

When Infantino took over as President, there should have been a complete sweep out of all the National Associations Fifa delegates and new ones appointed.

They should have also rid the organisation of its major sponsors like Adidas, Coca-Cola etc as they had to have been complicit in the fraudulent goings-on in the sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/08/blatter-to-beckham-who-was-in-the-room-when-qatar-got-the-world-cup

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

This the best one yet City and Newcastle fans are responsible for oil prices now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

?

The post you quoted doesn't say anything even remotely like that...

It says their owners (Saudi Arabia, and Abu Dhabi) are major contributors to it, which is pretty undeniable ...

It's the same tired rubbish putting the blame on fans asking snide questions questioning how they can follow their clubs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Is it not a topic that can be discussed ie the complete ease people can overlook morally abhorrent behaviours because the team they support might win some trophies.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Absolutely come into a discussion change people's comments accuses them of things they never said do the upmost to shut down an open discussion and use as much whataboutery as they possibly can to kill those discussions.

That is the trend and proof sportswashing for genocidal murderous regimes works.

You are attaching an awful lot of importance to your own comments I'll give you that. You're entitled to discuss what ever you like but you don't want a discussion you want seal clapping for your righteousness. You are trying to suggest fans shouldn't follow the clubs they've followed all their lives because of who the owners are you are trying to suggest that fans of Man City Newcastle Chelsea are somehow morally inferior to fans of other clubs. It's all very transparent and boring.

You can discuss what ever you like I don't see anyone stopping you?

What is your expectation of these fans? What do you expect of the peson who has a season ticket for the past 20 years? The person who goes to one or two games a season and the person who just watches on the TV? Do you want a stadium boycot, protests, support the team but dont buy the merch?

Which alternative bidder do you think the clubs should have been sold to?

As a Newcastle fan I feel the issue is beyond me, the people who run English football think this ownership is fine (because £££), the people who oversee them (UK goverment, FIFA, UEFA) think the ownership is fine (because £$€) so what can I realy do - why does the moral responsibility fall to the fans?

I wouldn't necessarily expect someone to turn their back on their club - I would've expected to see more discourse about it from fans though, and more of a grudging acceptance rather than the predominantly total embrace of it. I'd have expected something more similar to the reaction of Utd fans towards the Glazers, or Liverpool fans towards Hicks and Gillette back in the day - still supporting your team, but you make your displeasure at the ownership known. Protests, marches, online campaigns etc.

The total lack of any meaningful critical reaction from fans of these clubs has been really surprising to me - especially with Newcastle and the Saudi's. It really goes to show that as long as you simply throw in the money, the obvious broader concerns of having an owner who is guilty of genocide, state sponsored murder, who had 81 people put to death earlier this year, who routinely orders the death penalty for child offenders (not to mention having state policies that are outright misogynist and homophobic)... all these things just don't even seem to raise a peep out of the fanbase.

So where I wouldn't have expected someone to turn their back on their club, I would've at least expected some more meaningfully expressed discomfort at their new owner. The most depressing aspect is that we all know if they were to tighten the purse strings, the protests wouldn't be long coming (which we know they're well capable of organising after Mike Ashley - and of course UEFA and the PL bodies totally accepted him as an owner too, so by your rationale so too should the fans supposedly?).

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Advertisement

Well said! It's just another reason to have a go at rival fans dressed up as moral outrage. We all know that OT and Anfield etc would still be full if they had a nation state sovereign fund as owner.

I don't expect them to turn their back on their team.

However I would hope all the supporters and groups that go to matches every week would openly protest their owners human rights records week in week out in support of the downtrodden peoples of the middle east who are being arrested, tortured and executed by the owners of these clubs.

I would expect the LGBTQ+ Supporters of these clubs to openly protest every week and not put out supporting tweets about the owners who would jail them and maybe excute them for the sexuality if they lived in the Middle East. I would expect these groups to openly week in week support the LGBTQ+ peoples of the Middle East very vocally both inside and outside the stadiums.

I would hope that they would bring attention to the ilgeal wars their owners are carrying out in the Middle East.

I would hope they would protect the decision of their owners to slow down oil production to hold the rest of the world to ransom in a fuel war and back Russia in its illegal war in the Ukraine.

I would expect the fans not to wear tea towels on their heads and cheers for the genocidal murderous regimes that own their clubs.

That would be my expectation.

However I doubt I will ever see in on any wide scale sadly.

I also expect whataboutery replies about American and British government's legal wars however no one can show me a football team those goverments actaully own and fund to sportswash there Countries.

Ah now come on trying to portray the anti glazer and anti hicks protests as some sort of moral crusade is hilarious. They were protested against for the exact same reason as Newcastle fans protested against Mike Ashley because they were sh!t owners who didn't/ don't care about success. It is extremely dishonest of you to try and portray those protests as moral ones surely if Liverpool fans were opposed to venture capitalists running their club there'd be anti FSG protests as well? but there aren't any because FSG brought success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

United and Liverpool aren’t owned by sportswash owners, if they were it would not be any less disgusting. Having a full house at stadiums wouldn’t change that.

And for those asking “What can fans do at these clubs?” If you Have to ask, you have already made your mind up that you will be doing nothing , so why bother arguing with you while you justify it with ambiguous waffle and “aren’t we all corrupt on some level” nonsense.

These clubs are just abominations. Shame on the corrupt EPL for allowing it and the fans of the clubs for embracing it.

Where did I say, or even suggest, that the anti-Glazer/Hicks-Gillette protests were moral? Obviously they weren't... the reasons for those protests were always extremely clear. You seem to be a big fan of purposefully misinterpreting simple points, made simply.

Those are easy examples of easily remembered events where fans that had issues (moral, financial, ideological, whatever) with their ownership made those issues known publicly, without turning their backs on the club. The Super League protests are another example. I would have expected Newcastle fans to have done the same, exactly as they did with Mike Ashley. Not all protests or public presentations of opinion need to have the same motivation, I'm not sure why you would think they would?

So again, I wouldn't expect fans to turn their back on their childhood club, but I would have expected something, anything, beyond broad adoration and embracing of their despotic and destructive owner.

You do know that the vast majority of football fans couldn't give a sh1t about politics much less middle eastern politics? BTW all the weapons the Saudis use to bomb Yemen are British and American and the Brits train and direct the Saudi Air Force.

You're expecting Barry from Blyth or Simon from Stockport to protest all these issues and get as exercised about them as you do when they just want to follow their team as they always have done. If you're really that outraged why aren't you outside the Saudi embassy every week with a placard and a petition?

As for Britain and America's "legal wars" as you call them the children who were killed in them are just as dead as the children killed in Russia and Saudis war.

• Advertisement

It must be lonely up there on your high horse. I just don't agree with fans being judged, hated on and abused for simply wanting to continue following clubs they've followed all their lives.

I genuinely believe that the opposition to sports washing on here isn't as pure as it appears that at least part of it is motivated by more mundane footballing reasons i.e those clubs that are owned/partly owned by sovereign wealth funds are successful/will be successful and are taking trophies from clubs that you just happen to support. I also don't believe for one second that you would all stop supporting your clubs if they were taken over by a sovereign wealth fund.

I think you missed their point entirely on Britain and America (read the second half of the sentence)...

And they just want to go follow their team as they always have done... as long as their team is successful, right? If they're not, the placards will be out in no time, and the protests will be organized. As was already said, the fact the clubs LGBTQ+ wing even came out in support of an owner who would criminalise their very existence is just insane to me - and it's not like those folks can claim ignorance the way Barry from Blyth might be able to.

And yeah, I'm sure there are fans who literally never see any news, and somehow missed all the sports coverage of the Saudi regime, but I'd expect most fans at least took a passing interest in the new owners and, well, their misdeeds aren't exactly nuanced. As everyone has already stated, to have literally nothing critical about them from the fanbase is just very weird. (It's also interesting how you've climbed back from complaining about people supposedly expecting fans to turn their backs on their club, to complaining about people expecting fans to have literally any emotions at all about being owned by a literal murderer... quite the big step back! And quite infantilising towards the fanbase too).

Oh yeah Newcastle fans never followed their team when the weren't successful ffs they haven't won anything since 1969 Man city had the highest attendences in the 3rd tier of English football when they were in it so yeah these people just want to follow their clubs like they always have done and I'm sure they'd like to do it without being spoken down about and to by morally superior patronisers like yourself.

Who are you to tell Newcastle's LGBTQ+ fans how and what to think? One fella on here wants Newcastle fans to protest against their part owners every week others call fans of these clubs disgusting etc. Also how do you know that no Newcastle fans have/had reservations about the ownership I'm sure all these debates were had amongst the fanbase. I believe that the vast majority simply decided to continue following their football club as they are football fans. I just can't stand this patronising attempt to project the responsibility for the owners actions onto the fans. I mean imagine seriously expecting Newcastle fans to protest OPEC FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the lack of success has a part in the way fans turn a blind eye to less than savoury owners.

Newcastle have not won anything in decades, City had not won anything in decades before they got rich.

Utd on the other hand were flush with success when the Glazer family arrived, Liverpool were successful in the relatively recent past and had won a champions league and FA Cup by the time Hicks and Gillette came calling.

So it's much easier for fans who have success to protest against something than those who hope that this investment will end their long runs without a trophy.

"Oh yeah Newcastle fans never followed their team when the weren't successful"

We seem to be having different conversations altogether... you keep just inventing points that no-one has made, and then getting upset about them. Nobody ever said they didn't follow their team when they weren't successful... It was simply pointed out that Newcastle fans have shown that they are quite happy to protest under some circumstances.

To be honest, it reads to me like you're the patronising one, painting fans as these docile sheep happy out to just march along to their matches without any expectation they might have a single thought in their head about the way one of the main institutions in their lives has been taken over by some people who do really horrible, cruel things.

As for the OPEC thing, I never raised that point, but the issue there is that their owners are a key part in these fans own heating bills being raised over the winter period, so instead of some far away misdeeds, it's something that'll directly effect their pocket, and their christmas spend... so it's not too insane to wonder if they might have an opinion on that. But again, I realise that you don't expect them to have an opinion on anything ever it seems.

• Advertisement

And they just want to go follow their team as they always have done... as long as their team is successful, right?

This is the point I was replying to when I mentioned Newcastle and Man Citys lack of success.

The point I am making is that football fans care more about football than their owners actions in middle Eastern politics that is demonstrably true and goes for all football fans. I'm sure many Newcastle man city and Chelsea fans would prefer different owners but their love of their football club is stronger than any misgivings.

You and others believe they should protest every week and engage in pointless Norwich scarf style virtue signalling every week while still lining the owners pockets or that they shouldn't follow their club at all but what would either of those things achieve? I believe they should be allowed to follow their teams as they always have and shouldn't be held responsible for their owners misdeeds.

This is 100% true all those pontificating on here about sportswashing are fans of the 2 most successful clubs in English history easy to pontificate after dozens of trophies during your lifetime. I also strongly suspect that the loss of said trophies is a factor in their opposition to sportswashing.

That desperation for success is definitely a factor in fans support of sovereign wealth fund ownership.

On your first point, you're skipping most of the point made for some reason... you said fans just want to watch football and not engage in any further activity, I replied that seemingly they are indeed happy to watch - but when the team isn't successful or something is wrong they are demonstrably happy to have protests as we saw under Ashley. This in no way means they're "not following their team when not successful" as you invented afterwards. They were happy to follow their team, and also to protest the owner. The two things are not mutually exclusive. We know for a fact from recent history that there ARE ownership issues that will spur them into protest as a sign of support for the protection of what they believe their club to be about.

Nobody expects their misgivings to be stronger than their love of their football club, merely that they actually show some signs of even having some misgivings. And nobody is holding them responsible for their owners misdeeds, merely asking why it is they turn such a complete and total blind eye to them, and even spend hours online defending them with all sorts of nonsense and whataboutery etc. In fact, if as much effort was put into criticising their actions as is put into defending them, I think a lot of us would be able to understand the situation a bit better.

Like, honestly, do ya not find the deafening silence on it from an absolutely massive fanbase just a bit weird!?

The reasons for a lack of protest are obvious 1. Fans don't give a **** about middle Eastern politics . 2 They are so starved of success they are willing to turn a blind eye. 3. Fans love their club and support it no matter who is the owner. You have posts on this thread calling for weekly protests and others calling fans disgusting for following their club. That's crazy stuff!

As for why people defend the owners its simple tribalism they see an attack on the owners as an attack on the club. There's also defence of these owners because they are pumping huge money into the communities.

Many of those bashing the sports washed clubs are not doing so out of moral purity but rather a mixture of jealousy and good old football rivalry and fans of Newcastle man city and Chelsea can see that for what it is.

Ah deadly - “you’s are all just jealous”. Was waiting for that old chestnut to come up. I think we’ve hit ‘sportswashing defender bingo’ now.

I'll be honest and say that sportswashing doesn't bother me all that much. It doesn't work and just gets people talking about the atrocities more than anything.

The world Cup in Qatar has brought more focus to the slave laboir there then if they didn't host the world Cup.

Newcastle or man City owners spend g money in football seems to be a good use for their funds. City especially seem to do a lot in the local community. I don't agree with the regimes or what they do but sports sponsorship seems like a good way to take their money.

Their are worse things football clubs do. Wimbledons owners taking the club out of their local area, Burnley owners asset stripping the club they bought in a leveraged takeover, Liverpool driving down the cost of the homes around a field. Barca with their constant tapping up of other players. All these are bigger issues than sportswashing owners

Think you're missing the point of sportswashing fairly heavily there. In the short term it shines a bit of a light on wrongdoings, but as we've seen every single time it's happened, this comes with fatigue very very quickly and people simply move on with absolutely no repercussions for the purchasing state. It also buys you legions of fans who'll jump on any detractors in a second - just look at what the Man City fans get up to online if anyone dares say anything bad about their owners.

But much more than that it buys soft political power and influence by embedding themselves in local cultural entities. Saw that hugely with the explosion of Russian influence in London and the Tory party, with buying Chelsea being one part of that as a gateway to power.

And on top of that, this widespread association they create across all sports builds some level of connection/affinity with nearly everyone in some capacity or another. Whether its football, or golf, or boxing, or MMA, or WWE, or F1, or motocross, or athletics etc etc etc, they've built a connection between things people feel positively about, and their name. That counts for a lot more than you'd think. And it also means a near continuous year round news cycle of content - so when you search for any of these places, you may still see the negative human rights story, but instead of that being the only thing it'll just be one story amidst another 50 about all the different sports, or Salt Bae's new restaurant, or Beckham's holiday photos, or Newcastle's training camp, or Verstappen and Hamilton's rivalry etc etc etc.

It's sport as a byproduct of influence.

We've always heard the line "we're growing relations so we can bring our cultural behaviours to them", when in reality it's the other way around - they're buying influence and dependance so they can increase their global position without having to change a thing.

If ya still reckon it doesn't work, then ask yourself why they keep doing it, and why they've in fact been going harder at it than ever.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's still no evidence of Burnley being asset stripped. Players left at end of contracts..players sold because they were being relegated and on high wages. If anything they made sensible operational decisions.

Now it's early days, and I'd have suspicion about them, as they seem like mini glazers, but they're doing somewhat okay, and their relegation was a long time coming as investment was dwindling before the takeover

They're running the day-to-day alright so far, but I do totally agree with Rover that the league shouldn't allow leveraged buyouts though. Totally unnecessarily dumps a tonne of debt to be serviced on what was a perfectly functioning profitable entity before the buyout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

My experience has been that football fans as a collective aren't really capable of objective discussing any kind of moral issues that have any kind of reference to football, basically ever. Just one look at a Partey discussion or a Henderson discussion, and you can immediately tell which way that the vast majority of a fanbase are going to lean (regardless of what the truth is or whether there is enough there to even reach a reasonable conclusion in the first place). As long as this is the case, things like sportswashing are going to be easy, because people aren't capable of rational collective discussions around them (we saw with the Super League that people power does actually exist within football when the collective feels strongly enough).

If Man United get bought by an oppressive regime, vast swathes of Liverpool fans become infinitely more opposed to sportswashing than they were the week before. Large numbers of Man United fans suddenly care about sportswashing alot less because the Glazers are gone and they can be competitive again. You can reverse the Man United and Liverpool scenarios and the same basically applies. How many of the people that care about the City/Newcastle owners actually care more about the fact that it means that those clubs now have bigger budgets now than their own teams have? I don't think the discussion goes too far until people care about it for the right reasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement