Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still use a HDD in your main computer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Maybe you should have mentioned that BEFORE people click on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Still use a pc from 2004 with with a 160GB HDD

SD/HDD for the usual reasons is where I'm at on a 1 year old machine, currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,362 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume that you didn't mention it was multiple choice; many people probably assumed otherwise.

Hi. I can't recall if it was multi-choice or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I have a HP/Compaq dx2000 under my desk still in full working order, CD rewriter and all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I use a 5 and 1/2 inch floppy

Hi. My last Desktop PC had a CD/DVD writer. I switched from that in Dec-2021. I opted to go without CD/DVD writer with the newer PC since it's been years since I've needed one. I have a USB CD/DVD writer in case it's ever needed.

• Advertisement

🙃

---

I still have a Desktop PC from 2003. It's got a 3.5" floppy drive. It still works. I just haven't fired it up in years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

SSD primary. HDD secondary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Years old Qosmlo X870 Toshiba 17 plus inch laptop. Originally Windows 8. Later upgraded 10. Special discount build with 32 gig RAM and large dedicated graphics. Included other software development goodies. Secondary HDD could easily be replaced in future with SSD. Never was, with cheap, massive external SSD later available. Weighs a ton. Never meant to be hauled about daily with lighter netbooks available. Became an apartment base station that could be more easily moved than a PC. Was ahead of its time when purchased, and can still do most developmental tasks today. Plus Skyrim type games run fine, but a bit limited if you are super competitive. Has lived its life on cooling pad. Never over clocked. Never had maintenance problems. Occasional dusting and thermal greasing. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yep, the MVP! I still use a Laptop from 2012 with Windows 7 too. Current daily machines are Chromebook and i5 desktop. SSD and SSD/HDD combo. If devices last I've no issues keeping or using them. Same with phones

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thegame983

1tb m2 ssd for windows and gaming

500 gb normal ssd for additional gaming

4tb hdd for movies (partitioned 3tb) and music/ downloads folder (partitioned 1tb)

4tb hdd for TV shows

Same, I like to use devices up until it's no longer feasible/practicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

There are a lot of computers in the house.

Most personal computers are SSD now , small capacity ( up to 1TB ) SSD drives are a reasonable price.

However , there is a HP n40l 4 bay microserver that needs replacing , its 10+ years old now and sounds like a nest of wasps. It has 4 x 4TB WD red drives in it and replacing that with SSDs is just not sensible in terms of cost per gigabyte ( 4TB SSDs are about 400 each whereas WD Red 4TB are 100 each approx ).

The plan is to replace it with an 8 bay machine and 8 x 4TB HDD as that is less than the cost of two 4TB SSDs.

So SSD all the way for user/client machines , but for NAS or servers , it still has to be HDD for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

My main computer is 2 x 1TB NVME for games and apps. I have a 3TB external HDD for storage of movies, shows, and other misc stuff.

I couldn't imagine going back to using a HDD as a primary drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The NVME is so handy. Main SSD, another like so, the NVME SSD and an external HDD for stuff of moderate importance. Win 10 OS. Were it not for having an older desktop with DVD writer Drive, I'd fit one on my own desktop. I use it a bit and I like older games and to watch my moderate or small sized DVD collection. I wish I still had my Olivetti PCS 286 with its glorious 20 meg hdd and 3 1/2 floppy drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The 2TB Firecuda 530 is currently on sale on Amazon for only £206 (works out about €240 with import fees etc).

This is probably the best SSD on the market at the moment. Anyone considering upgrading - this would be highly recommended. Picked one up myself (although delivery won't be until Nov 4th for some reason even though I'm on Prime).

With the recent "early sale", they also had the Crucial P5 Plus (2TB) for only £165. So, hopefully, this is the beginning of 2TB 4th Gen entering the sub-€200 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Depending on your usage and networking, you might want to consider SSD for caching. Haven't done it myself as my NAS is quite old, but can see a lot of modern NAS systems are coming with M2 slots, or people using SATA SSDs. But as I haven't done it myself, I can't say how beneficial it is in real-world usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Apart from performance, one good reason to not use a HDD for the OS or critical files is that it will eventually wear out or crash. I know that SSDs will also wear out but the system will spread the writes load over all of the free capacity so as long as you are not using >80% of the capacity, an SSD will far outlive any HDD with similar usage.

I had a 2010 Thinkpad with a 256GB HDD, after about 5 years I replaced the HDD with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD and saw a spectacular improvement in performance, especially at boot time. If you're OS is on a HDD, you don't know what you're missing. Your boot time is chronically slow compared to what it would be if you were booting from an SSD.

Yes , The replacement servers Im looking at all seem to have 8 bays and a hot swappable twin M2 slot for OS and caching .... seems to be a standard thing these days. Servers are usually on 24/7 though , so dont see the benefit of an SSD for boot times , as this should be a rare enough occurance.

All hard drives , SSD or HDD can and do crash losing all the data. The need for backups of your critical data has not changed.

I have hard drives that must be 20 plus years old and are still working .... some western digital 15GB ( yes ... that was considered huge in the 90,s ) some 150 and 300 GB drives , etc. and of course , some WD red 4TB drives that are in that microserver must be heading for 10 years old.

That kind of reliability is as yet unproven with M2 SSD's

The best Ive got so far is a samsung evo 240 GB 2.5 inch SSD running the OS on one PC and an Intel 60GB 2.5 inch running the OS on a microserver .... both about 5 years old.

Post edited by andy1249 on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just curious- how would you need such vast amounts of storage in a household? Is there businesses being run from the house, or vast amounts of video downloads or what?

Mostly a lossless music collection , currently running at 25K albums , and running from my own personal cloud , also some pro photography , all in raw format for future usage , and secure backups of the above.

Trashy mp3's are not for me , as far as I'm concerned Music must be lossless , which includes CDs , SACD,s DVD audios , Blu ray Audios , Blu Ray concerts , and high quality needle drops of titles that have never been released digitally .... it mounts up pretty fast , for example SACD isos are 4GB each and I have about 1200 of them. Thats 4TB and of course that has to be backed up .... and so on ....

Note , we also have apple music , and the liberties they take with albums is just not acceptable , some of them are patched together from singles to save on server space , some are missing tracks to avoid rights issues .... basically , streaming is just not good enough .... and most outrageous of all to me , some are edited on the fly because some bloody snowflake took offense at some lyric or other .... not for me.

• Advertisement

I've always found my HDDs (Seagate) to be incredibly dependable. Lasting many years.

In saying that, the main reason I switched to a SSD for my OS is the speed. I use a HDD for backups within the same PC.

Advertisement