Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish womens team singing 'Up the Ra'

Options

Comments

This kind of thing sets a united Ireland back many years. Imagine the swing voters in NI watching this - of which there are many and growing - who want to put this crap behind them.

Very poor judgement.

That being said, a great performance and victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The economic impact of this in an inflationary period needs to be looked at as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Well in that case we will have to stop singing the Fields of Athenry which is a protest song regarding against the occupation of Ireland by Britain, how Britain felt that Ireland deserved its mass genocide of people and transporting them to Australia in prison ships for stealing bread to feed their families.

The lyrics say Michael’s crime is that he "stole Trevelyan's corn" – a reference to Sir Charles Edward Trevelyan, a senior British civil servant at Dublin Castle who infamously said: "The judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson”.

Scratch it off the list.

How about Tommy Makems song 4 green fields depicting the 4 provinces and how one of them in bondage but would be returned through violence.

is Nation Once Again Banned.

How about the Galtee mountain boy. Gone.

Viva La Quinta Brigada - throw that in the bin.

how about joe McDonnell. Young man interned without any crime committed or any trial. Went on Hunger Strike.

Sure why not whitewash our history so not one mention of a volunteer from 1916, 1921/ 22 exists. But the poppy is still allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Do any of those songs make explicit reference to praising a terrorist group? Thats the crux of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

I never said I took offence. Why would people know living in Britain about the uvf ? How about the terrorist attacks by the IRA in the 70s to 90s on mainland Britain.

people sang about the loyalist paramilitaries in the U.K.

as I say it’s all just harmless fun, the girls were just having fun and people singing about the uvf are just having fun too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

No, those imaginary scenarios you described are actually just all in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

It's kind of funny that a lot of the reaction online has been 'oh I'll never watch them again', from people who never watched them in the first place.

Anyway I look forward to the Sky Sports witch-hunt now at those wearing the poppy, those singing Rule Britannia at stadiums all over their country, Declan Rice for once commenting Up the Ra on Insta, Rangers fans singing No Surrender / King Billy, Scottish fans booing national anthems, I could go on. Are all rebel songs cancelled now? Or just the ones middle Ireland find uncomfortable?

I did get a small laugh though. The reaction online was fairly mixed until the Sky presenter went and put his foot in it with his aggressive interview; a good chunk seems to have turned back on them and their snivelling reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

songs with up isis in it

How about the Mahdi army, or Badr organization...? Or any of a few dozen other anti ISIS militias?

Since the 2014 collapse of the Iraqi army in the North of Iraq against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, and the fatwa by the Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani calling for jihad or popular mobilization against ISIL, militias have become even more prominent in Iraq

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_militias_in_Iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Republic of Ireland team sings republican songs ***Shocked***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Irony, mourning the victims of the Creeslough gas explosion one week, then singing Up the RA the next. The football girls really need to be reminded and educated as to what an IRA semtex explosion can do, vis a vis a gas explosion!

They both result in massive loss of life with bits of people ejected far and wide. Singing up the RA is stupid, ignorant and really silly, (specially in the aftermath of Creeslough).

Great result on the pitch, amazing result with my wife in tears as the whistle blew, the celebrations began and the reality sank in "Were in the World Cup), then the dressing room news leaks out :-(

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bloody Fenian Bitches!

I won't be watching them in the World Cup anyway, nothing to with the song, it's on in Oz and will be shown at crazy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The English don’t seem to really care, a one day story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Well my girls are in Oz and will be going. The draw is in 8 days, I think. They’ll need the jerseys now so that’s xmas presents sorted.

Do you think the girls who sang the song support the IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What annoys me more than the women singing up the RA are the West Brit types on here with their faux outrage for the atrocities commited by the IRA. They never once use the context of the war in the North and the civil and murderous actions of the British Government. The RA werent just fighting for the craic like.

The girls let themselves down without a doubt. They have tarnished their achievement. But the hand wringing and paint the IRA as the bogeyman while letting the british government and loyalists away scott free is West Brit Leinster Rugby territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Usually any time you hear someone saying "woke", it's usually not worth reading/listening to. Some self righteous lout rambling on about "snowflakes" and thinking they are on par with Einstein intellectually while the rest of the world are "woke" and stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Rebel songs are part of irish history and culture. If you're repulsed or shocked by them then don't read an Irish history book.

Seriously no wonder it took 800 years to get rid of the Brits from 26 counties. The quality of Irish men and women is shocking if this thread is any sort of representation.

Same twats condemning this are probably Slava Ukraine on every platform without a hint of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Do you know moronic all this storm in a teacup is? Not one mention has been made about our National Anthem which we all proudly sing. Every single sports team all around the world (well apart from our rugby team.

Is there faux offence of that song which is about a group of volunteers that became the Irish Republican Army. If only sky sports new that we bellow out ‘our fathers fought before ‘ Ireland is a fighting race’ or indeed the very pertinent line ‘we chant the soldiers song’ basically long hand for Up the Ra.

People support their own, I find it deeply distasteful to see players in England wearing the poppy.

Their Fans singing their military songs, of course I do.

That's life though, people instinctively celebrate their side.

Running down your country or its forces is seriously woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

If one was to go on twitter and look at the people complaining about this it is a whos who of centrist melts, loinster rugby dads and NATO fanatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Can the IRA and British government actions not both be wrong? Blowing up civilians is not a great way to campaign for civil rights really. Given the ongoing division in the north, it is clear it was a failed strategy. It is time for people to move beyond the past and start looking to the future. Singing songs like that is really no difference to fleggers in the north burning Irish flags on their bonfires, like two cheeks of an unwiped arse.

West Brit Leinster types, FFS. The average Irish "patriot" wouldn't scratch their hole for the country and by that I mean do something positive. It is just mindless flag waving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

I'll be rooting for the opposition from now on.

Singing songs like that is really no difference to fleggers in the north burning Irish flags on their bonfires

So if the girls danced around a burning Union Jack that would be the same thing?

You sure? 😕

• Advertisement

I'd say most of them just got caught up in the moment but whoever put it on likely does support the IRA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement