Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The following helped me recently:

- minimize / cut out social media - I was on Facebook recently to get rid of stuff on a recycle group, but got sucked in. Uninstall these apps from your phone. I can't tell you how miserable using this makes me feel.

- ditto for sites like LinkedIn ...

Comparison is the thief of joy.

- reduce WhatsApp etc to minimum. Don't say anything you'd regret

- ditto for work messaging apps, email, ...

If you can't say nothing good, say nothing at all.

- assuming there is some social outlet in work. Especially when everyone is working remotely or sporadically in the office.

Work is not your life / social life.

- get out of the house on trigger days. For me Sunday is miserable, so I'm forcing myself out to do something / anything on this day.

- turn off the news !!!

Those apps above will suck you back in.

Even boards.ie can be overwhelming. I take a break from it now when I'm spinning around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Pretty solid advice there. I f**&&ing hate LinkedIn. But will need it in the next few months to find work.

I only have Instagram but I only follow funny pages :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

First time here for weeks.. And probably the last for weeks... And a great pleasure catching up.. The same with the CFS/ME forum I follow. Phoenix Rising.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Long lasting pain attack, mood bottoming out to match. Long night ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks @nothing how are you doing lately?.

Bit stressed, bit grumpy, tired. But ok aside from that, managing to get out of bed, eating some decent meals here and there, getting a few chores done. Probably somewhere a little below ok, closer than I have been in a while.

That's good to hear, long may that (or better) last..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Sorry to hear that Grem. Those panic attacks can be like going 12 rounds against a heavyweight boxer. Try and hydrate. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but when I get panic attacks, I drench myself in sweat. You need to rehydrate after.

Thanks for your thoughts, it's a pain attack though, mostly burning pains from CRPS, thewy limit me physically a lot so automatically low mood comes in too.

• Advertisement

Ah, that's rough.

Makes my problems seem minor. I'm just dealing with a mouse (the rodent kind). Annoying as hell. Have traps out, but the 'waiting' game is irritating.

Something about mice that gets under my skin. Large animals, fine- vermin, nope.

We get the occasional one in the house, it's the sound of them, bleurgh. Luckily landlord is very consistent with pest control so it's rare, i feel for you, hard enough relax or sleep as is..

I saw this one, the other night. Brazen as hell. Our cats keep them at bay, usually, but with bad weather, they haven't been able to do their patrols. Wouldn't ask them to go out in it either.

And yeah, that's it, it's hard to 'settle', feeling on edge, kinda deal.

Mind yourself, that background anxiety can really pile on the pressure

Oh i did far too much the last three days and am paying for it.. I guess i should have seen it coming but i'm always thinking "i'll get away with it this time"

Two of my current cats are as happy outside as in so never see rodents anywhere near. When I first arrived, the cats sussed out there was a " rodent run" along the gate and lay in wait .. One of the corpses was the size of a well grown kitten... The rest raised a white flag and headed for the ferry..

Not doing well health wise. Every year adds an incrementally disproprortionate burden. But we cope and always small pleasures. And I can still knit.

Ours are happy outside too. But the weather doesn't help their hunting. Usually they're pretty great at telling mice to get lost, but the wet weather means they can't do their usual hunting. I've seen them patrolling in the early hours, and late at night. They have places to sleep and everything. One in particular, is most definitely dominant. She picks the places she sleeps, and finds all the warmest places.

Should someone (young adult) who's already on an SSRI for a few weeks, be put on valium as well ? The SSRI has hardly been tried. The person does not want to be dependent on valium. The SSRI will be increased maybe. But the valium seems overkill and is just introducing another crutch. I think the doctor is being really impatient. This is infuriating.

Depends. SSRI's take about 6 weeks to 8 or 10 weeks to kick in. I wouldn't be inclined to go on additional meds too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Some SSRIs actually increase anxiety in the early weeks for some people and a small dose of something like vallium is prescribed to bridge the person over the anxious phase for a short period only. Could the psychiatrist be prescribing them for that reason?

Thanks for the help @RabbleRouser2k and @Sardonicat

Anxiety has not increased as far as I know post SSRI. Maybe very short term valium might help in some way. But I'm not sure I trust this doctor.

It's been seen as a safety net for the potential ramping up of anxieties and thoughts that can occur from week two on an SSRI, hopefully they will be seeing their doctor weekly then fortnightly forthe next while.

Seriously engaged in the need to stay fully mobile. It is harder in bad weather so just gave the kitchen floor a good workout, Desperate measures! For the old use it or lose it campaign.. But whoever decided on pale yellow lino throughout this place.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

Sitting here stewing and pondering the public vs private psychiatric debate. Was waiting ages for an appointment and I got two together, public and private. Went to public one 2 weeks ago. It was underwhelming but meds were changed. Went to private one today that cost €300. Said the same thing as public and was equally underwhelming.

I think I'll just stick with public and save me a whole heap of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Hi @laoisgem I will direct you to the charter where there are a list of resources for posters finding themselves in your situation.

Please take care and reach out to them..

Grem

Post edited by Gremlinertia on

@laoisgem can you try giving Samaritans or Pieta a call? Is there anyone you can reach out to right now to express the crisis you're in to? Please reach out to someone in RL now 🙏. You know most of us here on the thread have been where you are now so I'm not dismissing you with "just talk about it" platitude. Sometimes it's vital you verbalise what you're feeling to someone. Please, please do that now and get that awful feeling out of you.

xxxx

If that's what keeps you going, in any small part, keep hold. Can you talk to her about what's going on? (making an assumption here that she's an adult)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Fella said to me years ago if you are depressed and only talking to yourself you are in seriously bad company.

I have to keep active, Krav Maga/ hiking / cycling etc but my anxiety is coming back with a bang and my mind wanders to drink. So important for me not to think like that, I get in the drinking mood and will be gone boozing for hours on end making everything 10 times worse.

One important thing, if you are suffering avoid social media. It's 100% toxic. Even this site can be incredibly toxic, I had a very nasty individual wanting to 'meet up' with me in underhand threats on this as we disagreed on something. I know it's only pure pure scum threaten people like that but it still affects your mental health regardless.

Avoid social media and get out into nature is ever so important to mental health really is.

Advertisement