Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young voters' view of the Troubles on the island of Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

"how lax our education system has been" All systems have been in a state of lax since Fine Gael took office and are the ultimate arbiter, no wonder this outrage has occurred with the youth who have grown up the last 11 years.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

It’s pretty grim alright, it’s a shame it has tarnished the victory. I heard Pauw discuss it on the Second Captains podcast and I thought she fronted up pretty well.

I don’t think the players were actively supporting the IRA; as you say, it’s a mark of the ignorance of much of the younger generations about what the IRA did, allied with some vague notion that it was about “human rights” or “power sharing”.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I heard extracts of what Pauw said, she handled the controversy with great dignity. I agree that this is a result of ignorance, but when you contrast that chant with the empathy and help from people in the North only a few days ago in Creeslough, you cannot be anything but ashamed.

That may be true, but the chant has been adopted and used in a sectarian fashion.

Very sad that this has happens, even sadder that some people think this is just a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

attack the post and not the poster. I was making a point not related to anything that requires empathy, but to your constant promotion of SF on boards.

Oh, I had assumed you were addressing the point I made about the chant rather than me as a poster which is why my reply referred to the lack of empathy towards victims in your post. Maybe you should take your own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I was unable to watch more than a few seconds of the video, because of how upsetting it was. What should have been a time of celebration, of unifying, has been tarnished by the song. Very sad to see.

You sound like an overly hysterical pearl clutcher! If the above paragraph was a scene from an old movie, we’d next be seeing posh men wearing monacles slapping you round the face with their gloves and saying “get a hold of yourself, woman!” Pass the smelling salts!!!

Whatever you may think of the way it was expressed, my feelings were genuine. I am not the only one who feels like that, but hey, you are free to tell me how I should feel and turn it into a joke if you want.

Austin Stack's father was a Portlaoise prison officer killed in cold blood by the PIRA, a killing which was denied for years by SF.

You can laugh and pass jokes at the upset and trauma that other people feel, if you want, that is your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

the only thing to be ashamed of is trying to use the tragedy in creeslough as a stick to beat these people with. You really cant help yourself can you

• Advertisement

As usual, nuance is a card only allowed to be played by one player.

Until the unionist population faces the fact of the existence on NI being founded on the terrorism of the UVF 1912-18, the subversion of the democratic will of the parliament of Westminster in regard to Home Rule, the fomenting of mutiny in the officer class of the British army, the gerrymandering of a border to create a sectarian statelet, the use of state terrorism to suppress nationalism within Northern Ireland, the violent dispossession of the people of Ireland from their land, the attempted genocide of the Irish people, the attempted destruction of Irish culture and language, the state imposition of Protestantism, the repetition of many of these colonial techniques throughout the British empire, the glorification in its culture of violence, the glorification in its culture of sectarianism and racism, the glorification of its anti democratic and anti egalitarian roots they can take a hike talking about “education”.

Quite frankly I would expect more from people than to fall back into the trap identified during the troubles of doing “the politics of the last atrocity”. Or doing the posting of the last “atrocity”.

To quote the Taoiseach on other matters, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I was born and raised in England and (please don’t plant a bomb under my car for this, RA heads), I’d cheer on England if they were playing Ireland. Those feigning outrage over this just like the sounds of their own voices tbh.

The team have just learned a hard lesson in their professional careers but it’s being made out to be more than it was. My kids, who were born in England too but raised in Ireland, have sung this song on a night out aswell and not for the political aspect of it but just because it’s a fecking catchy tune! Think the same applies to the womens team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A few of the usual suspects are outraged.

Local ladies team celebrating a win last night belting it out in the bar after the match.

Celebrating the win, celebrating the success of the Irish team celebrating pride in our community and country, our history, determined defiance against the odds and tyranny.

Wonderful to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

So if the Northern Ireland team win a match and celebrate by singing about the UVF you'd be OK with it?

I suppose a better analogy would be wearing the Poppy etc.

I dislike the thought of both, see both as reprehensible but I'm not calling for heads.

It's natural for people to support their own side.

It's hardly a surprise that an Irish team support Irish forces.

Are the words "Up the RA" not a giveaway as to what the chant is about?

Are the pile on pro-PIRA comments after this not a giveaway as to what this is all about?

Are the comments who were in the IRA like Danny Morrison which make clear that it is about the PIRA not a giveaway?

Please don't insult people's intelligence in a Trump style manner.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

No it wouldn't be a better analogy. The direct analogy is if the NI team sang in glorification of the UVF.

The name UVF goes back to 1912. But we all know that any singing about the UVF now refers to the Loyalist terrorists of the Troubles. Criminal murderers.

You'd be OK with a NI team singing about the UVF, yes?

The chant is about the Provisional IRA. It's about murderers. Glorification of them.

That's what the Irish team did and what everybody who sings it does. They're glorifying murderers.

this has to be the most ironic post of the entire thread.

The Uvf were just an off shoot of the British army, a regiment if you will.

Things like wearing the poppy cover the entirety of their forces.

I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't get excited about it.

The Poppy is a much more malign symbol and representation. I dislike seeing it, same as I felt repulsed seeing the Zs painted on those Russian cars in the convoy in Kildare.

I'm sure those Russians hate seeing people shout Slavia Ukrainia, growing sunflowers etc, outside of Russia do they take to Social media to condemn it?

It's natural for people to support their own side. Human nature with all its foibles.

It's hardly a surprise that Irish people back the Irish forces, that Ukrainians back theirs, French theirs and even English people theirs.

• Advertisement

That sort of juvenile insult just about sums up the thought processes of anybody who defends singing in glorification of terrorist murderers.

It's a fact. The IRA were murderers.

Answer the question. You'd be OK if the NI team sang in glorification of the UVF, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Delighted the ladies team sang the IRA song. An important and proud part of our history against British brutality.

The chant is in glorification of the murderers of the PIRA. The team themselves accept this. The manager accepts it.

Are you disagreeing with players and manager, who have apologised?

Were the PIRA murderers in your view?

I'm not going to stop any one singing any song.

If they choose to do that I'm not getting excited about it,not going to like it.

If they go one further wear poppies I'll be little sick seeing it but move on.

People always die in war, you only have to look at the news to see that, the only sure way to stop it is if the invading forces stayed home.

7 out of 10 were involved in the military or the State that the IRA killed. Unprecedented in conflict. Things were done that shouldn't have been, mistakes made but what conflict doesn't.

Like I said you can't be surprised when people support their own forces.

So you think terrorism is proud? Blowing up people at a Remembrance Day service is "proud"? Incinerating members of the NI Collie Club is "proud"? Blowing up small children out for a Saturday shop with their parents is "proud"? Abducting and murdering 15 year old Catholic children is "a proud blow against British imperialism"? Murdering Gardai is a "proud blow against British imperialism"?

So you'd be fine if the NI team sang about the UVF?

Can you not accept at least that taking out British soldiers and RUC was reasonable, correct and justified. When they joined up for the cheque each week they knew they weren't being paid to anything but hired guns, Wagner group of their day.

Were there also things done that shouldn't have been done , mistakes made. Certainly.

All of what you list could be applied in very very long lists to the crown forces, ones that were not prevented from doing so by the IRA.

There is no nice or clean wars.

• Advertisement

Ah right, so you call the families of victims of murderers the "perma-offended".

How charming.

Would you be offended if a family member had been murdered up UVF terrorists or the British Army and the NI national football team started singing in glorification of those terrorists?

If you were a family member of one of the Bloody Sunday victims and the NI team chanted about Soldier F, how would you feel? How would Northern Catholics feel?

Advertisement