Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable foldable bike for average commute in Dublin

Options
  • 12-10-2022 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for a foldable bike with large enough wheels,

The reason is I'll be doing a 6.7 km commute in and back on moderate hills, I'm just wondering would a foldable bike be comfortable on that type of commute because the wheels are usually smaller than a normal road bike.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you need it to be foldable for storage at either end, or do you need it to be portable? some folding bikes are fine for storage, but not exactly easy to get onto a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I do that length of commute on a Brompton several days a week for the last few years. It is expensive but worth it. Resale value is also very good. Get the six speed one if you have hills. Folds in 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

That's a good question, to be honest I don't trust leaving it locked outside at home and I don't fancy parking a normal sized bike in my bedroom, I was hoping to have the option of packing it down and leaving it in a corner out of sight, although now you mention it I might like to bring it on the dart or bus sometimes, I wonder if there is a folding bike that can be a bit portable and very good for storage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you have the cash, as said above, Bromptons are your best bet, plenty of riders on them not far off my pace on a race bike but it folds down to not far off a an airplane carry on for storage. There are of course cheaper options that will do the job but won't be as light, fast or resellable. I see a few of the Halfords ones on my train ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hard to beat a Brompton. I picked one up last month and I'm on it every day. Get the 6 speed one, fantastic spread of gears. They're not light when folded up, mind. You can certainly lift it into a car or onto a bus or into an office but you can't exactly stroll around it with in your hand. You can get shoulder bags for them, and you can fit bigger castor wheels so they roll like a trolley when folded. They're not cheap but the resale value appears to be very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Brompton yeh? Checking the price of them, €1,000 or so, yeh I'm looking for something in the range of €215 to €300 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Unfortunately, a cheaper folding bike (in the price range mentioned) will probably be awful for a round trip of 13km with moderate hills. And probably not great at folding either.

Dahon is supposed to be the real Brompton rival, and their bikes are somewhat cheaper overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'd second the Brompton advocacy here. I've used a three-speed for years. Not sure the longest journey I've done but it's over 30km round trip. It's a good bike, as well as being a good folder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Advertisement