Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killing of Fr Niall Molloy

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

It's not like that he was a danger to society whether convicted or not in a court of law...he was culpable in the priests untimely death more likely accidental and that will forever be associated with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Is it just me or does this case reek of the betters looking out for themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Assuming that the RTE story is correct then Flynn could have been portrayed as being angry and jealous that his wife was in a relationship with Molloy and sought and planned revenge. A murder charge surely could have been pursued (if there was any will to pursue it!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Oh that's exactly what it was. The church wanting to avoid a scandal at any cost. And those in power circling the wagons to keep the Hoi Polloi tamed and ignorant.

I would like to think that we have moved on from those **** times but am not so sure.

• Advertisement

Theresa Flynn seemed to want to keep the respectable marriage image intact while maybe not honouring her commitment to their marriage vows and not to seperate as he seems to have requested them to do...he seemed to be doing the honourable course of action for his family ....she obviously wanted to be in the company of fr Niall a lot and for him to be living in their house made that possible and probably at her request more so than Richard Flynn's approval.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭juno10353

Parochial Ireland. Man assaulted and dying, ring priest, later get doctor, later still call gardai. No one rang 999 to save the man. Surely that is murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭juno10353

On a separate note, Patrick McEntee and Seamus Sorehan were renowned senior councils of their time. Irish Rumpole of the Baileys.

Is there anyone of their calibre now in the courts

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

The ‘fame’ of barristers is not that long lasting. Sorehan died about 15 years ago and is less well remembered than McEntee who is still alive and I think stopped practising about 8-10 years ago. Sorehan was apparently quite theatrical which is not in keeping with recent fashions. By way Rumpole was a junior barrister, unlike Sorehan & McEntee who were/ are ‘silks’, also was not actually much interested in law. Whereas McEntee was a very good technical lawyer. At the time of the Molloy murder he was at the height of his powers. There’s some very good barristers in practice now and whilst it’s hard to compare generations would understand that there is no one quite as good as McEntee in practice in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

We are supposed to feel sorry for him ?

What did his wife die of in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

There are 2 motives for Richard Flynn murdering Fr Niall:

• The priests relationship with Therese Flynn - Richard Flynn must have known what was going on between the priest and Therese. Richard appears to have tolerated this and even facilitated this by allowing the priest his own room in their house. This was a very unusual situtation. It was a sham marriage by the looks of it and the Flynns wanted to keep an outer appearance of being a happy respectable couple. Marriage breakup was'nt acceptable back in the 1980's - you married for life. Marraige breakdown could lead to social and financial ruin so they simply had to keep up a pretence. Same situation for Fr Molloy - it would be ruin for him if he left the priesthood.
    • The money owed by the Flynns to Fr Niall Molloy - In my opinion this is more likely to have caused tempers to flare and resulted in Richard Flynn murdering Fr Niall Molloy.

Theresa Flynn claimed that fr Molloy had been paid his money back in cash and not a bank draft for the deal on the failed land sale... he paid them a bank draft ..so that must have been cashed already by the flynns...her story not credible..was Theresa Flynn hoping for fr Molloy to fall off a horse to take out a life insurance on him and claiming to be his sister to claim it...I think she also needed the money and probably as guilty as Richard Flynn in the cause of fr molloys financial worries re the land deal and his unexplained death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Acosta

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

Before the latest programme there was a school of thought that someone else in the house that night did the murder. Richard Flynn was seen as too calm afterwards. Belief he ‘ fell on his sword’ for someone else in group. As there was a cover up that night Richard Flynn was a liar. When someone is lying when are the lies on pause and the truth being told ? So without over complicating this it doesn’t follow that he told the truth in his book proposal or with psychiatrist. The psychiatrists report seemed to be held in reserve by defence in case he was convicted. It then offers an account that in circumstances makes you sympathise with Richard Flynn. I do (by the standards of 2022) find that Theresa Flynn’s childhood friend living with the couple 1/2 the week was more than a bit odd. On ‘ average’ think a lot of men would have been unhappy about three people being in marriage. That said this wasn’t a 3 bed semi in Athlone- it was a mansion. An aunt of Richard or Theresa also lived in house. Whilst there may have been some truth to the recent TV programme- still think the trigger to row was money.

Think Bill Maher’s non appearance on Prime Time was tactical to continue to try and control narrative. Don’t think Prime Time were really withholding info on him. Is he not quite used to giving interviews at this point ?

The 2021 TV programme said no evidence of a sexual relationship. But think McGinn report may have said they shared a hotel room in Dublin when going to horse show ? If not that far believe they certainly went on trips to Dublin together without Richard.

Post edited by Spencer101 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So Fr Molloys nephew has rejected the latest evidence and I can see his point of view- and no “but” here- it’s what went through my mind also when I saw the latest programme this week.

You’re guaranteed a long sentence if you killed someone over money- but not necessarily if you kill someone for a crime of passion, in good olde Catholic Ireland at the time - I treat the psychiatric report with major scepticism - Flynn was self serving and that obvious from the major delay in calling for medical attention for Fr Molloy- he murdered him, and likely over money - it was no crime of passion

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/fr-molloy-killed-in-row-over-money-and-rumours-of-affair-with-wife-of-suspect-are-completely-false-says-priests-nephew-42065778.html

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Just to correct my recent post...it was fr Niall Molloy himself who took life insurance out on himself and named Theresa Flynn as his sister as beneficiary....also it looked like a shotgun wedding maybe had to be organised quickly and was going to be a big cost to the flynns as the Flynn's daughter getting married to Ralph Parkes seemed to be already pregnant at the July 1985 marriage ceremony and had their baby in December 1985.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Flynn seems to have had suspicious that Molloy was having it off with his wife back in the 1960s based on what he said to the psychiatrist, that means there was over 20 years of rage building up in him and it looks like when he got a chance to give him a bit of a hiding that night he went all in.

Wonder what Flynns son meant when he said on camera back in 1986 something about knowing more than what others did, he's never going to talk at this stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Yeah, mad stuff. Bottom line here is that an innocent man was killed. (I don't think anyone believes the self defense nonsense, as the priest was absolutely battered and allowed to die).... and the well "connected" cute hoors from the local big house, got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ernielove

does anyone know who lives in the house now or is it still even there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The house is still there - search Google Maps for Kilcoursey House. Not sure who owns it now.

Has the hangover of this affected the Flynn family and subsequent generations i wonder? I am inclined to say that, for family gatherings involving the siblings that the incident is the elephant in the room. I am wondering therefore about the next generation. Also would the children, who are easily locatable, have been subjected to whisperings etc. I would dearly love to know how their lives have been from then until now.

I presume none of the Flynn family or extended family stayed and moved away for good from that area never to return again

heres the thing, it doesnt really look like it... most are locatable on various social media's, if not offspring then partners or ex partners. My question more relates to the psychological element of carrying around such a secret for such a long period of time. Ok after 38 years you could maybe say that they have mastered any burden in this regard or have learned to compartmentalise. However, it does strike me as though there has to be a burden still, when you consider the fact that the case resurfaces every couple of years and the fascination with same shows no signs of abating. I mean, if you take the fact that the Garda cold case team solved that case in cork recently from 1981, surely its in peoples heads that the above case remains unsolved and YET, I would imagine there are members of the gardai who know what it would take. It also strikes me also how many of such cases there were in the 1980's, Kerry Babies, Shercock Garda station, Bunratty folk park etc etc.

You'd think the case was solved by Flynn being charged and his admission of manslaughter and even though the prosecution didn't actually get a criminal conviction against him, Flynn's initial admission of voluntary guilt had already tainted the Flynn family ...I suppose the fascination is what triggered the assualt that night

Advertisement