Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

Congrats. Make sure you have a pint of Brakspears to celebrate !

Henley is a lovely town

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

Hi. I am sure this has been asked before but what kind of discount can you get on

-Tudor GMT

-Tudor Chrono

-Omega Speedmaster

In Dublin ,Belfast or UK

Weirs seem to offer only 5% on Omega.

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Nothing on Tudor .If panda chrono you’ll do well to get one . 5% in weirs seems to be their most on a lot of brands

Post edited by scwazrh on

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Any views on the new IWC Mark XX or Portuguese 40mm?Nice watches and both now with "in-house" movements. Any views on IWC in general. I know that there are some IWC fans on here.

I have these against a Glashutte Original Senator Excellence! First world issues and all that!

Post edited by Gavin1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have the new pilots chronograph 41mm and it is a belter, the bracelet is one of the best I have tried. I have a Portuguese chrono also but it’s 12 years old at this stage but it’s a great watch, timeless .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have an IWC 3878 and it's a watch I absolutely love. The dial is great, it looks fab on a strap and I recently acquired a bracelet that turns it into a whole new watch TBH.

Some of their new releases are fantastic but I do think that their prices are rising accordingly in "new".

I'm looking forward to getting a look at the new boutique in Dublin next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thought I was going to get a Sumo at a steal today but the tags were mixed up! It fitted me better than I thought the lug to lug size would suggest. I thought the bracelet would be better than the Samurai or Turtle but it's actually worse! The case is better finished though and it does have Sapphire. Sales assistant would go to €560 on it but not tempted at that price. Too many other options when I start getting to that money, though I'm still not sure where I want go next. I tried on a few King and Save the ocean Versions of the Samurai and Turtle some on offer at the €500 mark, I like everything about them bar the bloody cyclops it's like a big carbuncle on them to my eyes.

I'm always going be tempted by deals on Seiko divers but I should try an branch out. Current shortlist for not much more money would be a Steinhart Ocean one vintage or Titanium 500 or maybe the Ocean 2. Upping the budget would be a Stowa Marine or a Sinn 104 or 556. Not going to rush into anything though(Unless I see another Sumo for €380!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Would you consider removing the cyclopes? Easily enough done. Sinn is always a nice alternative :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭micks_address

Gotta say well impressed with the accuracy of this.. it's up there with anything I've had..not sure what it's spec is but I've worn it for about 3 weeks straight and it's bang on time.. compared to the last Seiko I had this seems like a different league.. spb149

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Longines punch above their weight. Looks and feels like a watch 3 times the price you pay for one second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭micks_address

if i was to be critical of the design id say the round dial markers are just a little to squashed up against the edge.. i dont mind the 12, 6, 9 but a few people think its odd looking.. the rest of the watch is very well done

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

You never fancied a tourbillon with Mariokart, the blue shell & a bullet Bill on it? 😁

I love a lot of the stuff AP put out but this collection of 50th anniversary Royal Oaks is just horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Jesus christ that is awful. Bet they will all retail in the 200k range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

Is that the swatch collab with AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭traco

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And we were giving out the Omega moonwatch collabs were €250?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

Blame Rolex for this with their OP collection

At least these are a proper novelty and all one of one pieces.What’s the chance of John Mayer being seen wearing one .

I’m sure they’ll be limited but they’re not piece uniques.

edit: maybe they are doing just 1 of each. Two sizes though, 37mm & 41mm

• Advertisement

You’re wrong .They are a single piece in each size and colour .20 watches in total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Apart from a handful of specific RO models, most APs either aren’t that nice or are vulgar AF anyway. These tick both boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

AP should just change their name to Royal Oak. It's comical at this stage, almost everything they do is a variation on it.

It accounts for 90% of their sales, but they’ve certainly milked the 50th anniversary celebrations. Just on the anniversary, I was speaking with one of the sales assistants at the Harrods boutique this week, apparently they’re producing 50k watches this year in celebration, back to the usual 40k or so watches next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

No, no idea of the price. Just pointing out they made more watches then usual this year for the Royal Oak anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I offloaded a Kilo of Silver today to a lad in Galway and the money from that is for once 😉 not being spun into a watch.

Instead,I'm replacing the projector in the Mancave with a new TV. Managed to get a decent deal from the Richersounds boys on a 70" Philips ambilight. As it's mainly for sports and games, I'm happy to go with LED rather than OLED and the ambilight makes for a nice bit of needlessly complicated tech 🤣

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How did you get a kg of silver?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Did you make a profit on the silver? I keep looking at silver and gold but with the price over spot that dealers charge it appears you need a good % value increase before you would break even never mind profit .Obviously time of holding plays a large part but still there seems easier / quicker ways of making a profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

if the answer is anything other than piracy on the high seas I’ll be disappointed.

Advertisement