Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's true! I just hope he gets a run going. It's been frustrating for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Are people really suggesting that Ross Molony is better than James Ryan?

Get up the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

People who think Ryan "isn't the same player as a few years ago" simply haven't managed their expectations well enough.

Every year he plays is another year people can compare him to.

In 2018 there was literally no reference point as he has just started his pro career. Ergo he was rated extremely highly (and rightly so) as the expectations were low. He could only impress with the performances he put in.

Since then he's been a mainstay for Leinster and Ireland. So there is 4 seasons of reference.

The reality is he has maintained the insanely high standard he set during his breakout season.

There are peaks and troughs as with any professional. But James Ryan as a player has not changed. People's perception of James Ryan has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I don't think that's true. People gave him credit when he had an excellent game in the 3rd NZ Test. He was turning in performances like that much more regularly during his breakout season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In 2018 there was literally no reference point as he has just started his pro career

And the other point is that Ireland in 2018 were the best team in the world. Everyone looked awesome because we were playing so well. Stockdale also came into the team then and looked like the greatest winger we've ever had. Ditto with Leavy, people were proclaiming him a world class 7 based on 2018 even though he was nothing of the sort.

Ryan was one of the few who actually played well into 2019 but there was always going to be a dip after such a massive peak.

I think people just took a dislike to him because of all the initial hype and the playing for Ireland before his province etc, so it's gone completely to the other extreme now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,279 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

As an overall player and on potential cieling, no. On form, maybe. Depends on how Ryan gets going this season.

Moloney is on the best form of his life in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Interesting that Ringrose is captain. When Ryan is also starting.

Hopefully let's Ryan focus on his own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,279 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I know Ryan captained underage teams but I don't see him as a captain. He's very quiet and I think he would be better focusing on his own role.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Wrong thread deleted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd agree with an awful lot of that, with the exception of this:

The reality is he has maintained the insanely high standard he set during his breakout season.

He's had peaks and trough's in form over that time, as you mention yourself. (Having said that, last season he was a lot better than he was getting credit for from in some quarters).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Maybe they only plan on giving him 40 and Ringrose will be there for the 80?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ryan is fantastic! He's been rock solid. I wonder though, if his career will be long? His injury profile has been unsettling. I still think when he's healthy, he's a top 2nd row.

Actually I think it's ringroses 3rd game as captain this year and has been nominated as captain ahead of Both Ryan and luke mcgrathh who were captains In the past.

So far once he has started he is captain. ( Obviously hasn't captained ahead of johnny)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Ringrose has been primed by Leinster to be a captain since his early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

A random thought I had.

What do you think the chances might be that we will lose Jenkins to a Springbok call up in the early stages of next season?

Obviously this is early days we haven't yet seen him in Europe.

But if he keeps playing the way he has been he is unquestionably in our strongest XV.

Naturally, Leinsters ultimate goal this season is winning both trophies. Whether it transpires is anyones guess. But you'd get short odds on us making some big knockout games this season.

If Jenkins were to feature in them and be influential surely he would be turning Rassies head.

I mean Etzebeth obviously features as for me he is one of if not the greatest second rows of all time. De Jager blows hot and cold and can struggle for form and fitness. Mostert is a super player. The other options are there or thereabouts but haven't put their hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the South Africa squad for their games against Bristol and Munster but think he's got a fair bit to prove yet before he's a chance of making their RWC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Can he be called up outside of an international window?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm sure he's quite a long way away from the SA squad. All their teams seem to be going well, he did absolutely nothing for Munster and he's played a handful of decent games for Leinster mostly against middling opposition. He's played well but going to guess there's little or no chance.

Unrelated but Ngatai has also immediately become a very good signing. Our back 3 is completely shorn at the moment so wouldn't be shocked to see Ringrose start another game on the wing. It's not his best position but if you look at the influence that Nacewa could have from there for example I don't think it's that outrageous.

Hard to know. Jenkins and his knowledge of the Irish pack would be a benefit for South Africans who we have in our group in the world cup.

His knowledge of the Leinster/irish pack, scrum, lineout would be second to none..

Didn't felix Jones get a job for the last World Cup for a similar reason.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,622 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what would felix jones have known about how the irish coaches were preparing for RWC 2019?? the last time he was involve din that level was the japense tour in 2017.

similarly, and even more unlikely, is the amount that jason Jenkin would know about the set up and systems that the irish national coaches are creating for RWC 23

also, i feel that's quite disparaging on Felix Jones to suggest the reason he got teh SA job was because of what he knew of the irish test teams systems. He got the job first and foremost because hes a bloody good coach and a student of the game, which rassie saw at his time in Munster. He was brought in as an alaysist and additional defence coach initially... and obviously was though of well enough to secure a second contract, albeit with a different responsibility.

• Advertisement

I didnt say it was the only reason jones got the job. But it wasn't a negative when Rassie needed a coach.

AS you pointed out he was invited on the 2017 tour of Japan to be a coach with Ireland. I feel it would be quite disparaging to suggest that he didn't work hard on the tour and pick up some insider knowledge of irelands game plan. Which under Joe didn't appear to change that much from 2017 to 2019.

As soon as it was announced wasn't Joe straight on the phone to him.

Joe said at the time. "“It’s awkward because – you don’t have to be a rocket scientist - he came with us to Japan the last time, so he was right in amongst us. So you don’t really have to ask, do you?

“He was with us, he’s seen everything that we deliver and would have a great knowledge of even the language we use in our camp, so it’s awkward for us.

”There were a couple of opportunities here, but I’d be a massive fan of what Felix has got to offer in the future, and it will be a great learning experience for him.”

“I just hope that we don’t suffer as a consequence because he’s a smart coach, he already knows a lot about us and, if we do get to a quarter-final it has to be either New Zealand or South Africa or Italy that we do play against. That would mean he could be directly opposite us on the coaching bench.”

Anyway. Ireland lost to Japan and we never got to play SA.

As for Jenkins. Simply scrummaging with the Leinster/ Ireland front row on a dialy basis gives him excellent knowledge of their strengths weaknesses and traits at scrum time.. I'm not saying he is good enough or not . But I wouldn't rule out him being called Into the squad and if Rassie and Co can gain some information from him they will.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,622 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Didn't felix Jones get a job for the last World Cup for a similar reason

sorry for the grammar lesson MLH, but that certainly reads as though the reason he got the job was his inside knowledge of the Irish system... you only refer to one reason???

as for the reason.... speculation is fine as its only opinions being shared. in my opinion if Jenkins is called back into the bokke squad it will be because of his performances for Leinster, not because of what hes doing training sessions for leinster.

he did absolutely nothing for Munster 

...in large part because he was injured for the vast majority of his time there. He already nearly has as many minutes for Leinster as he did for the full season at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Very sloppy game. The weather obviously had an impact, but the lineout struggled pretty badly in the first half. Ross also had a poor game, not sure if he was fully fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Strange game. Thought Leinster dominated the majority of it and played some very nice patterns in the backs. But ill discipline at the breakdown reared its head again. Connacht piled into the breakdown, sometimes illegally, and pilfered a lot of ball.

We continued with our new kicking game, but the majority of them were blocked down. Maybe we need a bit more recognition of when the kick is actually there to be made?

Lineout is the biggest worry. We created a very good attacking platform, especially in the first half, but failed to hit our jumper on multiple attacking lineouts in Connacht's 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinsters issues seem to be more systems based than anything else. They've been weak in first phase defence; at the breakdown; and in their attacking lineouts. But they're all areas which can be fixed.

Ringrose has put in two motm worthy performances in a row. VDF and Sheehan have also been great this season. A lot of Leinster players have performed exceptionally well in their own games. Once everything knits together team wise we'll be in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I know performances havent been amazing, but still 2 away wins in interpros are nice to have in the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

Leinster are in a great place right now, still lots to improve on but the injury profile is as good as it's been, the forwards are starting to really click and some of the pattern play is close to being perfectly executed. JOB is coming along with every game and will be a rock solid backup to Keenan, I've also been impressed with Ngatai, he hasn't blown the lights out but its clear that he's starting to become very comfortable with the guys around him and is popping up in really interesting ways, even tonight in shite weather he looked dangerous at certain moments. And Ringrose looks like he's setting up to have a Monster season.

Advertisement