Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I thought articles from years ago were persona no grata ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Well this has well and truly jumped the shark.

I don’t know whether to feel flattered or slightly disturbed, getting to live rent-free in such a chaotic, dare I say, maniacal environment..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

LOL. You didn't read the article did you?

They are trying to build social housing the locals objected.

Seems like people actually living there don't subscribe to your narrative of a social housing crisis in Ballybofey.

But but but Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

The tonight show last night had a fairly balanced debate about Ukrainians n asylum seekers. All 4 panelists said we need to do more!

Timmy Dooley said we need to look at hiring cruise ships. Come Christmas we'll be looking at retrofitting trawlers! Is there much space at the base of wind turbines anyone know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We should be draining swimming pools, think of how many bunk beds we could fit down there

Get rid of the alcohol section in the supermarkets, could fit a family of refugees in there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

It was just 'women and children' being pushed out of the accommodation in Killarney! Really! I see plenty of men and full families in those pictures. Just like a lot of 'whole' Ukrainian families are living in this town.

I am sick of the propaganda.

They should have hid the men if they wanted us to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

There is for homeless Irish people only, at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Nah, I do have an idea of the sentiment on the ground, because lots of local people contacted their councillors, TDs and ministers to prevent the removal of the Ukrainian refugees.

Why do you feel the need to drag everything and everyone down to imply negativity towards Ukrainians all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah I can imagine the locals getting news that the Ukrainians are to be moved n getting replaced with 135 male asylum seekers from mainly Africa n the middle East. The whole town would get pro Ukrainian very fast!

From the article you linked that you can accused others of not reading

“Local Fine Gael councillor Martin Harley said there is a demand for this type of social housing in the area, noting there are about 80 people – many of them over the age of 55 – on the waiting list for two-bedroom apartments.”

Official figures a couple of weeks ago had the entire social housing list at 147 people in total.

Seems like you don’t subscribe to the actual facts and take the objection of a couple of local busy bodies with a severe dose of NIMBY-ism worried about the height of building close by as proof that everything is alright.

When the reality, facts and official figures completely blow away that weak attempt of an argument. That was embarrassing.

But But But…

• Advertisement

So we gave gone from locals screaming for the 48 shell apartments to be open to locals objecting to social community housing. 😂

Also if you only had kept reading.

will enable older people in the area who wish to downsize their home

So these people are not homeless or screaming?

Also

The development has been designed in line with best practice for an aging population and aims to provide sustainable, long-terms homes

So bespoke sustainable housing, maybe the derelict celtic tiger shell that still cost 7 million to finish wasn't suitable.

Maybe, just maybe reality is more nuanced than your assertion that shure we can just thrown them all in there, problem solved. 👍️

Bloody Refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

This post neatly encapsulates one of your issues Druid. You simply can’t countenance that others view this situation differently to you. What you frame as negativity, I perceive as realism.

It’s simply not true to state that Ireland has unlimited capacity to handle the influx from Ukraine. We are already reaching the upper bounds of the numbers we can absorb. I don’t feel like this is a particularly controversial statement, yet this appears to be an anathema to you; for some reason your involuntary reflex is to fly off the handle and start casting aspersions. It’s virtually impossible to engage constructively with you.

In terms of the Killarney scenario, unless you’re a resident of the town, your assessment of the sentiment on the ground is conjecture. Whilst we’re speculating as to the prevailing attitude, I suspect that folks in Killarney are relieved that their Ukrainian guests remain in situ for the time being, particularly given the alternative arrangements almost foisted upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Actually those refugeee are still arriving...so that's just MORE refugees overall for the two to enjoy. 3000 out of 14000 population. Lovely Jubbly. Money for all the hotel owners.

Post edited by maninasia on

No we’ve gone from you saying there’s absolutely no housing crisis in Ballybofey based on a couple of objections to social housing from busy bodies and completely ignoring the FG C who mentioned there was an urgent need for it in the same article to you implying those on it don’t really need it.

There’s 147 people on the housing list. There’s zero private accommodation for rent . Those 48 apartments were mentioned in local paper last month as a much needed bonus for the housing crisis in town and then every single one of them was given away at short notice. And it’s not just social housing there’s zero private accommodation available either and there’s demand for that.

So according to you the local people and those on the housing lists can just shut up and no odds about them. The fact there’s absolutely nowhere to rent is just grand and 48 apartments that would have helped massively were all given away.

You seem to have a real low opinion and dismissive attitude to those on housing lists and the dole. With your elitist attitude I assume you’re in a position to host Ukrainians yourself. If you’re in support of an entire apartment complex being given away to refugees instead of a compromise between the needs of the local area and refugees then I have to ask why haven’t you hosted any Ukrainians yourself if you’re so passionate about putting their needs above everyone else? All bark and no bite? No doubt you will ignore that question again.

There’s 147 people on the housing list

Out of a population of 5000, which I think we can both agree is rather minuscule. With all of them already having homes and a sizeable portion wanting to downsize to suitable accommodation, which was delayed by the locals objecting. Correct?

You seem to have a real low opinion and dismissive attitude to those on housing lists and the dole

You'll have to problem backing up this claim. In your own time. 👍️

I do find people pretending to care about social housing just to paint another cohort of people in a negative light quite crass.

Back it up? You constantly downplay the needs of those on the social housing list. You literally just dismissed their needs again being as condescending as ever in your first paragraph. No self awareness to see that.

And predictably you avoided my question again. So I’ll ask again although we all know the answer hence your refusal to answer it.

If you’re in support of an entire apartment complex being given away to refugees instead of a compromise between the needs of the local area and refugees then I have to ask why haven’t you hosted any Ukrainians yourself if you’re so passionate about putting their needs above everyone else? All bark and no bite?

Lol.

You are the one who wanted to throw the bespoke needs of those into an apartment complex that wasn't suitable. But I'm down playing it. 😂

So your claim is absolute nonsense, you'll have no problem retracting it so.

If you’re in support of an entire apartment complex being given away to refugees instead of a compromise between the needs of the local area and refugees then I have to ask why haven’t you hosted any Ukrainians yourself if you’re so passionate about putting their needs above everyone else? All bark and no bite?

These needs don't exist though, do they? You made them up. What they actually need is what the council is actually building, despite local objections. Correct? Again it's not my opinion.

Also

The 48 apartments had been lying derelict in Ballybofey for a number of years.

Donegal TD Thomas Pringle said was is great to see the apartments being put to use and to see the families move in to a safe home.

Yip, it's not just me is it? 🤷‍♂️

So once again you avoided answering it. I’ll ask again

The reality is that you’re in favour of putting the needs of Ukrainians above all else when it doesn’t impact you personally. However when it would impact you personally such as hosting them you put the needs of yourself above all. Keep skirting around it all you want but you’ve lost all credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Keep skirting around it all you want but you’ve lost all credibility

He never had any to begin with. Before his Ukraine posting, he was spending his days on covid threads, doing the usual; being condescending, eye rolling, downplaying all the predictions that people made that all came true. He seems to exist almost solely on here to downplay terrible state policies. He moves from one topic to the next, nearly always being wrong, yet never having the humility to admit how wrong he was. People that high on their own hubris never seem to see how undeserving they are of their confidence.

So Boggles is either someone incapable of growth and learning, or someone who's been looked after for their work. Either way, it's not a good look.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The ignore button is a godsend !

• Advertisement

I posted about the local mayor, on the national airwaves, saying it's great the Ukrainian refugees aren't being moved, and that lots of locals had been in touch, concerned about them/

You immediately countered with "ah, but how do we know the majority feel that way about the Ukrainians."

Completely negative shite, again.

The rest of your "rebuttal" is arguing against stuff I never said, but go you...

Again, you are trying to pass a figment of your imagination off as fact.

I'm happy that the cohort of people in the area are getting the much needed bespoke social complex they need built, despite the local objections.

I refer you again to the local politicians opinion on the apartment block that was derelict for 15 years.

The 48 apartments had been lying derelict in Ballybofey for a number of years.

Donegal TD Thomas Pringle said was is great to see the apartments being put to use and to see the families move in to a safe home.

You mean posting on current affairs, where popular topics are discussed like a once in a generation pandemic and war?

You got me. 😂

Like I said you have lost all credibility in this debate. You keep avoiding the paragraphs below. Your constant failure to address it only adds further weight to your hypocrisy. Read it again. No doubt you’ll avoid it again.

The reality is that you’re in favour of putting the needs of Ukrainians above all else when it doesn’t impact you personally. However when it would impact you personally such as hosting them you put the needs of yourself above all. Keep skirting around it all you want but you’ve lost all credibility.

Again. 😂 I didn't do anything, I don't create local policy in Donegal, maybe get on to the like of Thomas Pringle.

As you ask, how many people on social housing lists have you welcomed into your own home as you seem so passionate, it's a problem that pre dates the war for decades?

“27.5% of Ukrainians adults in Ireland have never worked a day in their life”

Have you got a link to that?

I hear about all the money hoteliers are getting for housing refugees. Some seem to forget/ignore the cost of providing the service. Food, laundry, utilities, staff, etc…. don’t come cheap.

The user who was busily personally attacking you seems to have imploded or stepped on a landmine or something... oh well.

The equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears rather than engage in the debate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Advertisement