Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

These guys are doing my install soon. Panels on 18th and wiring 25th October. That’s just over a month after paying deposit. I’d say I got a cancellation appointment. I have 12 panels going up, but quote I got is similar in terms of cost per panel and battery,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

hi folks,

when installing a split array (front + back of roof) would this be an additional cost? especially considering they would need scaffolding for front and separate for back.

I have a quote thats high for the formula provided, but they said its because of above reasons (split roof and double scaffolding)

for a 12 panel system, 6 front, 6 back - total is 4.98kw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Split roofing should be almost no odds. The scaffolding is usually quick erect, they can move it in 10 minutes. Possibly slightly more work overall but ultimately rails required etc should be very similar.

Natural slate roofs can generate some extra time, and some do charge a small premium for that.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

I know you’re getting mixed views here. Excluding the battery, I think it's a decent price with prices as they are. €1450 per kWp.

I’d suggest get more panels and drop the battery. Get paid ~15c FIT on what you don’t use.

And then you can shave some cost off maybe. Panels are under €200 each and installer’s on the roof which is where the cost is (labour for them and sparks). Tell them you’ll buy 2 more panels if they throw in 2 FOC (or something like that). If they say no, if any panels will be shaded, get them to install optimisers FOC on just those ones (which is all you need, or it will drag output down for all the panels on that string).

Also get them to confirm the size of the inverter. You’ve 4.8kWP of panels. So they should be roughly under about 1.5 times the size of the invertor. That’s important if you add more panels.

Then seems it’s €2400 for battery. Don't say what size that is. 5kwh I’d assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

It's about 3k over the odds, the Huawei gear doesn't help and not worth the mark up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

About 4k over the odds, theres better out there.The quote below is from Dairequinlan in post 3542 on previous page

first one is for 12 panels which I think is pretty optimistic based on our roof area, wasn't based on a site survey, just plans.

12x410W panels (4.92KW)

5kW hybrid inverter

5.2kW battery

full installation, etc. Total after grant is 10,885

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Christ that's bad @Silent Running. You can't blame yourself though. You hired a recommended professional crowd who did a butch job. No doubt the legal proceedings will set you right but it will be painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

How much are people paying for extra panels not quoted initially? I doubt any fitter will just charge you 200 eur per extra panel fitted, right? I'd say it is more like 300eur onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

About 200 per panel I was quoted for extra ones

That seems very very reasonable. Which panels are those? How does the fitter cover the rest of the cost? Extra cables, rails, clamps, work,...

Fair play to them!

410W JA Solar PV Panels.. I think for the installer the cost is getting on the roof etc scaffolding adding a panel or two isn't that much extra work for them

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Abromavich

I got them down to €6,500 after grant, which works out as 1354eur per kWp. Inverter is rated at 5kw. Do you think this is a good deal or should I keep looking? They have included monitoring to see what I'm feeding back to grid and power use etc. as well

System size: 4.8KWp

Leapton Tier 1 Panels 12x400W

System cost after grant (without battery): €6500 (VAT included)

For me, I think you’re done and got a good price @1354eur per kWp. So if you get the vibe they know their stuff and aren't chancers, go for it!!

Only thing I’d suggest is see can you get more panels before signing the deal. Or ask them to bring some on the day and agree the price per panel now. Will be way less than @1354eur per kWp as they are on the roof and sparks are onsite anyway.  

I’ve the same size system (4.8kWp) and we’ve an EV so we could use more power at times. Plus you’d get paid the FIT on spare. Inverter can take more so the 5kW inverter will handle more than 5kW of panels.

Them giving you 'monitoring' would be standard already and you'd expect it's already part of it. You'd be expecting them to should you how the inverter software works to be able to read that info anyway. Nothing in inverter software for you to change, it’s just an output – it that’s makes sense. 

• Registered Users Posts: 32 burgerland

Hi All,

Been planning on a DIY solar install for the last 12 months and finally getting around to sourcing kit. I know supply is extremely tight and wholesalers are limiting who they sell to but has anyone here (non installer/RECI tradesperson) been able to purchase directly from Failte Solar? 

I am looking to purchase a Solis 6K hybrid inverter but unfortunately they advised they will only sell to installer/electrician. Solartricity will only sell complete kits (already have panels and racking sourced) and Midsummer dont stock Solis.

I did try in the summer and they told me that they only sell to ones with a trade account which they wouldnt open for me as I dont have a vat!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 burgerland

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

That wasn't the Enniskillen lads by any chance?

They quoted me €400 extra per panel for the 345W JA which doesn't sound like a great deal more like a first day quote price.....€345*1.2=€414

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pphil

Hi. I am looking for any advice on the below quote.

16 x 410W JA Solar PV Panels/Modules 6.56kW

GivEnergy 5kw hybrid inverter

Eddi

All the usual install gear etc (no BER, and I do the SEAI submission).

Haven't heard much about GivEnergy Inverters, and is 5kw on the low side for that kwp array?

Thanks as usual,

Paddy

Jesus your not aloud to say anything bad about the Ennis K illen B oys here.

TBF they have a very good reputation.

But not all enniskillen installer's are the same.

Generated my first KW today. Thanks to all the boardies here for advice, comparisons, and spreadsheets.

😎

Sweet. Welcome!! I'm only 2.5months ahead of you. Generate is low at mo of course being mid-Oct but every little helps :)

Remind us, what setup did you get?

In the end 8kw of panels, and 6kw hybrid inverter. Cost around €1,100/KW after grant.

😎

That was a decent price too. And it's a large system. You'll be able to heat the gaff on plug-in electric rads now for a lot of the day (if you have them)

I need to arrest my heat pumps KW consumption, so that might be an idea to explore!

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The 5kw inverter is fine for that size array as long as you don't plan on adding another few panels. I've exactly the same amount of panels but opted for a 6kw (they had the 5kw fixed to the wall) Initally it was a 5.5kw install, it a job got camcelled in Dublin and they came a day early, and had the higher output panels with them. I wanted the 6kw inverter because I have room for another 6 panels 2.5kw which would def max out the 6kw inverter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

They have a good reputation alright that's why I have them booked in for next month with a 6.9kwp system.

I achieved the guide price and was happy at that. Then I saw a lot of posts talking about adding extra panels on the day etc. so I asked if I went from 20 panels to 24 (if I can fit 4 extra) would €1000 cover the cost. Their reply was 'Unfortunately, not the panels are 400 euro each supplied and fitted. That would be 1600euros more at the time but would be a lot more if we come back to do them again.'

Maybe I'll do better on the day in person but definitely not any cheaper from the above reply and nowhere near the €200-€250 I'm seeing mentioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement