Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applegreen own brand chargers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭innrain

found the op manual

They mention at the spare parts section a CPI (Charge Protocol Interface) for each cable CCS / CHAdeMO and of course cable types. So at minimum you have to change those. A is the CPI in the picture below

Interesting graphs nonetheless

I think we can ignore the green curve at least on the units at Ballymount. Pretty flat 200A but that means

max 80kW for 400V architecture. So Ioniq5/EV6 and Taycan to the win. It will not reduce the power once the second car connects, and it has 50/50 power split

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting, so there may be hardware internal differences too.

The charts are interesting, the 800v architecture only helps things if they are configured to supply 400a to one side if the other side is not in use. There's a possibility these may just be split 200a each side with no load balancing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The manual mentions a few different configs avail for power allocation

• Sequential - Charge one a time
    • Concurrent - 2 cars at once, but single car limited to max of 1/2 available power
    • Dynamic allocation 'First In First Served' - First car can charger up to maximum power, 2nd car can start if the 1st car is using less than 1/2 available
    • Dynamic power allocation 'Fair Share' - First car can charge up to maximum, 2nd car can start causing both to be limited to 1/2 max

I really hope the first in first served is used, to me it's the fairest as the act of a 2nd person plugging in should never cause the first to be delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well that was because Tesla use their own proprietary connector, and they needed to provide something

I seem to remember there's something about the earth check on Chademo which doesn't exist in CCS and is difficult to fake, so making an adaptor would be very expensive

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

More app goodness

Coynes cross, not my pic

Adapters for chademo to , and CCS to, a third new standard in China are already in discussion for some time

Hopefully, if they can both be adapted to one standard in common, then an adapter is possible

ChaoJi - Wikipedia

CHAdeMO 3.0 to harmonize global EV quick charging standards (sae.org)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭innrain

For 200A constant as shown in the second chart, the power increases linearly with voltage, getting 160kW at 800V.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Those ABB ones - iv'e seen them in TeslaBjorn's vids and 2 observations:

A lot of them co-funded by the EU

They seem unreliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Another pic…..

look at the length of those cables (again) Bloody epic…..

any car in any space……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You could probably charge from the drive through with the length of those.

Castlebellingham is fairly poor alright. I'd say it won't be long until they sort it out though surely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My fear with Castlebellingham is that they will wait until the Tesla lease ends so they don't have to build a new substation

Agreed. It's mad though for such a busy spot the chargers are not actually that busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Similar pic on facebook with the poster saying the site will be 3 CCS + 1 Chademo... I'd love to get a closer picture of the other box to be sure

That seems fair although because there's 2 boxes I don't see it being implemented.

Say for example plugs 1 and 2, are all being used, Car 3 and 4 show up within a minute or 2 of each other and plug in. Car 3 takes the full 160kW on offer as he was there first and until it drops to 80kW car 4 gets nothing. 5 Minutes later cars 1 and 2 are finished and car 5 comes along, plugs in and gets the full blast while car 4 is still getting nothing

Of course in all likelihood each box will be limited to 100kW and every plug to 50kW because there's such a shortage of DC chargers in our country... Also you'll the spend more time and hopefully money in their shop

• Advertisement

Northbound on Sunday there was a Model S there and my Model 3 on the SuC's, with no one using the eCars unit in the time I was there.

About 3 hours later southbound, I arrived to 4 Model 3's on the SuC, and another Model 3 on the eCars unit, then a Model 3 left the SuC and went down to the eCars unit and plugged into the AC, then an iX arrived and 2 minutes later the Tesla on the eCars CCS left and the iX plugged in, and within 2 minutes an e-tron & a Leaf arrived...

Being in a Tesla and therefore faster charging, you don't really get to spend long enough there to see how busy the site gets, but if I was in a non Tesla and traversing the M1, I'd be actively trying to avoid Castlebellingham, and doing all I could to either get to a less busy site, or get to a destination with charging options.

Yes I know that, but it depends on supply and configuration.

These may be 150kW chargers that are split 200A/200A like the ecars ones. They only deliver >400v in specific configurations.

Anyway whatever they are I'll likely be in to test pretty soon. I'm on the n11 at least twice a week each way.

You don't get a choice to implement a 5th operation mode. They will have to choose which one of the 4 modes they would like to use. These are not as clever as the distributed chargers that Kempower have developed. They are purely independent units that happen to be located physically close to each other.

If you were going to limit plugs to 50kW you wouldn't go to the expense of buying the 180kW units.

Yes I really like those kempower units but these do seem more "dumb" units. Not complaining at all. A 3:1 ratio of CCS to Chademo is about the best to be expected. If both sides can deliver 150kW when the other side is empty and 80kW when the other side is in use, I think we should be happy with that.

I'll be in to test as soon as I hear it's live.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Castlebellingham is busy at the weekends, but during the week a queue is rare. If I stop there it's usually to grab some food as I generally have enough charge to get me home, and more often than not, there's no one charging at either the ecars charger or the Tesla chargers. At the weekend it's a different story, but I would guess that a lot of that is due to the lack of availability of public chargers in NI.

• Advertisement

I really hope these (and Ballymount (and the upcoming CircleK stuff)) isn't 'power limited' pending grid upgrades.........

Oh no, don't mention Anna!

I've actually seen those units installed in places and power limited to 50kW each. Not saying these will be, but it's easy to install the chargers using the existing grid supply and upgrade later if the demand is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Interesting that the Applegreen test site in the app now lists a 225kW CCS and a 125kW Chademo, it was previously 180kW on both. Maybe it means something, maybe it means nothing.

Who is on for heading to park West?!

I thought chademo was limited to around 70kW max at least on the 62kWh leaf? 125kW may be in latest standards but I doubt any Irish car sold can reach that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's a test. Probably the charger is labelled as 125kW but that's a nominal figure based on 800v. Chademo have been branded at 80kW, 100kW,120kW etc but realistically they top out at just under 80kW in the wild. And that's in best case scenario, no rapidgate, first charge of the day, mild ambient temp etc

Unless you work in the head office and the charger is free for staff 😉

It could also just be a test for the app, rather than any specific site being tested so no need to get excited at all,

I see they've had a price increase to 50c/unit recently

The AG Electric app got an update recently, map now shows all their currently online Irish chargers with details of individual chargers similar to the ECars app. Also price seems to have gone up again, now costing a bargain 60c/kWh

• Advertisement

I wonder will each location have a different price, given there's a difference in the chargers on offer

60c/kWh is a bit rich for 50kW, would hate to see what a 200+kW charge would cost in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I was thinking the same, I balked at paying 61c/kWh for the Tesla Supercharger at the same location recently - but at least that was quick, not 50kW

They're being efficient, the same sign displays the price of petrol, diesel and electricity

I don’t believe it is. Look at the price of electricity, now add on costs to install and maintain the unit. Standing charges etc.

They were 40c/kWh back in August, have electricity prices risen by 50% since then? I think it's an example of price gouging, and considering how poor our countries fast charging networks are they can get away with it.

However this could potentially slow down EV uptake as diesel becomes more price efficient. Might be no harm considering how overheated it is at the moment

Now one thing I will say is that the app hasn't been officially launched so they may be testing the price displays

I have no issue with 50-60c per kWh at a fast charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

They’ve gone up close to that.

electric Irelands standard domestic rate is 40c/KWh. Add the standing charge and other chargers along with the cost of the infrastructure

Applegreen are also making what appears to be a lathe capital expenditure program. On EV chargers. I don’t believe 60c/KWh is unreasonable.

after all most people will charge at home , so can expect to pay a premium when using a DC charger.

• Advertisement

Yes but you don't get 300-400-500km at free solar and or 7c per kWh night rate in a dino juice car.

Fast chargers are not a regular occurence. I do 50k+ a year and rarely need to fast charge.

Alternatively, look at the competition. ESB: 43c/kWh, EasyGo: 45c/kWh

60c/kWh is certainly out of sync in the market.

It will be interesting to see if their rates are flat accross all sites and what that will mean for ESB colocated sites.

It depends what we consider fast charging in 2022. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a top up at that rate if we were talking about 100+kW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I wonder if they're pricing it similar to the Tesla SuC prices at Birdhill - they don't want all those Teslas moving over to the Applegreen charger because it's cheaper.

Although, for 61c/kWh on the SuC you could get up to 150+kW charge instead of a ~50kW one. I know which one I would choose (truthfully, neither at those prices ... but if push comes to shove! 🤔)

Alternatively, look at the competition. ESB: 43c/kWh, EasyGo: 45c/kWh

Those are sub par networks in comparison to what Applegreen are trying to do (roll out proper hubs like Tesla/Ionity), and they are priced accordingly...

I know when I'm driving somewhere outside of the Tesla network, and if I need a charge and dont want to queue, I'd be navigating to a €0.60/kWh Applegreen site with 8 CCS chargers before I'd consider navigating to a €0.45/kWh eCars site with 2 CCS plugs (but potentially only 1 CCS plug if a Leaf is using the 50kW unit).

€1/kWh wouldn't seem too unreasonable if it meant a guaranteed charge at 150+kW with no queuing required.

Easygo and ecars are likely to increase prices pretty soon. domestic prices are at or near 40c, peak pricing on smart meters are higher, and commercial pricing now exceeds 50c for day rates.

Agree with your 150+ vs 50 charging, there should be a price difference there too. We dont want teslas on the 50kW for 2 hours and we dont want leafs blocking HPC

Birdhill is not 8x CCS though, far from it. For now at least, it is no level above ESB/EasyGo and so I still believe that is a high price for the site.

As I said, that price at a rapid charger at the likes of the future Ballymount site I would have no issue with.

I would happy to spend the bit more at a hub site, the likes of the renders they have published. That at least would be a high capacity site for a dedicated purpose which you would hope would be relatively immune to ICEing.

• Advertisement

It's not free solar though is it? You paid a good lump of money to have panels installed, didn't you? As for general home charging and your 7c rate you need a driveway which not every living quarters in the country has

You need none of the above with dino juice

I hasten to add that this price is based on an app that's not been officially launched yet so it's not 100% certain. Has anybody used the Birdhill site recently to confirm the price?

It's free now following the sunk cost fallacy. I'd have solar anyway, so incrementally the free kWh going into the car cost nothing further. You could of course ammortize the cost of the panels into the cost?

If you can't charge at home then you shouldnt get an EV anyway.

If you can't charge at home then you shouldnt get an EV anyway.

What should people who can't charge at home do then?

Wait until someone comes in and installs an adequate public charging network, like what they have in mainland Europe.

They'll be waiting a while, and at 60c a unit, there won't be much incentive to make the jump if/when that does happen

• Advertisement
Advertisement