Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant D. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Brilliant. Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Well done. Some great times from boardsies at Chicago.

Congratulations ,some well deserved beers tonight for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

But behind in my logging. The new baby has kept things busy to sit down to do it (hopefully this week, is the plan!) Things looking pretty good so far. Hit the summit of mileage and on the way back down - although still some decent long runs to be done. Some massive difference in terms of mileage compared to my Manchester effort, that is for sure. Was jokingly saying yesterday was the last of the long runs, before getting this weeks plan for the boss and seeing a 30K planned for the long run! 🤣 Hopefully it will be all worth it. Trusting the process all the way to the flag Some little groin related niggles I’m keeping in check with mobility exercises. I’m finding myself to be so mindful to be properly warming myself up to avoid a lot of discomfort in it.

New baby has definitely added a new dimension to things, as one would expect. I actually find myself missing that option for the early morning runs and getting them sorted. Biggest challenge at the moment is the broken sleep. Outside of moving out of the house for three weeks, but that’s not an option. What I have secured is an AirBnB for the Saturday night in Dublin. So at least that has me sorted for my pre-marathon day sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

That's some run. I thought he was slowing down at 40k, but looks like a really strong last 2k. Brilliant stuff!

I've been offered my friends place in Dublin Marathon as he wants someone to run with him during it(his other friend isn't running and isn't arsed selling it)

I've a good few miles in the legs this year(950k's) but only done 2 races. FD10 and DCHM with times of 65:58 and 97:37.

However I haven't ran further than 12 miles this year. Did do one back in 2016 but that was a disaster as I was having a can or 2 every night during training.

Am I mad for considering it? I'd prefer to just hop on the course and run 10miles with him but I'd say that's frowned upon.

He's going for sub 3:45

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭event

I mean you can definitely run 10 miles with him and leave it at that, so long as you have a number. Sure people get injured all the time.

How many marathons have you done before, how experienced are you? I'd be very worried about planning on running for nearly 4 hours when the longest you have done this year is probably 2 hours.

You could absolutely do it, the body can do incredible things. But IMO, you will be in an absolute world of pain from mile 16 on

Last Saturday actually. Ran as slow as possible and did 20k's @ 5.06. I'll do an easy 2-3hrs this weekend and another 15 miler and that shall be that. I'm just gonna enjoy it and not bother with times. Looking at Strava the last months are

October so far 6hrs and 80k

Sept 14hrs, 170k

August 11hrs, 134k

July 9hrs, 115k

I haven't even taken any water during this running bar the 2 races so I'll report back how badly it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭event

If you don't try and go for 3:45, it's absolutely possible, be no bother I would say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

didnt go to tarmonbarry on sunday, the forecast looked horrific, 3 hours driving to run around in the lashing rain for 3 hours didnt appeal,

went to a local half on saturday instead, ran 12k before and then the half, worked out relatively ok, first 8k of the half was all downhill so

went out too quick and that caught up with me in the last 5k, but it was a good lesson in suffering if nothing else, legs fine since thank god,

from looking at photos of tarmonbarry it looks like it didnt rain as hard as i expected it too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey, thanks all for those comments. It was a bit of a dream marathon really where everything seemed to go right for a change - the running gods sometimes smile on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Congrats again D. Literally living the dream.

Looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I don't taper until next Thursday with my last Hansons tempo (MP) session 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Anyone have any recommendations for training plans to keep you ticking over between marathons 4 weeks apart?

I have the Advanced Marathoning book and there’s a 4 week plan in that. Not sure if I’m allowed post a pic here with copyright issues etc but if you want to PM me your email address I can send it to you if that’s any help?

Ah thank you!

I knew I'd read it somewhere before, I checked the Hanson Book and the JD Book didn't think about our friend Hal.

I'll dig that out tonight.

Kellygirl is talking about Pfitzinger and Douglas, not Hal Higdon, but sounds like you might have the book anyway? Here's a quote to bear in mind though for anyone considering this:

If you have less than 4 weeks between marathons, you're on your own. Your main concern should be recovery, recovery, and more recovery, not only from your first marathon but also from the lobotomy that led you to come up with this plan.

😉

Some good info here on a few different approaches. https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedRunning/comments/w4e3gn/approaches_to_multiple_marathoning/

I'm in the middle of 5 weeks between Berlin and Dublin. I'm doing 1 recovery week, 3 weeks of easy running, and then 1 week of taper.

Thanks everyone.

@Murph_D I do have the book. Back before I started training for Chicago, I was in America and bought every training book I could think of second hand from Amazon. So I've plenty of reading material.

@deconduo I'll have a look at that. Seems to be a good summary, can I ask what you target race is? Berlin or Dublin?

My target race has passed and what I'm looking for in Dublin is a 3'35 - 3'45 with a friend.

Had my first run today after Sunday. Went out with the intention of doing 6m but got to 5 and I knew I had enough.

• Advertisement

If it's Chicago/Dublin you're talking about, remember they are only three weeks apart. Only two weeks and two days to Dublin now! I have an entry myself and the plan was to jog around but I'll be playing it very cautiously between now and then.

Berlin was the target (finished in 3.39 which was a 10 min PB) and my plan was to take it handy for Dublin and just enjoy it.

But I've recovered pretty well, so I might give it a shot in Dublin now if I feel good on the day.

Thank you for robbing a week of my life that I thought I had! 🤣🤣

Best of luck with it and congrats on the great PB.

Yeah nothing like a 33k(5:27km, 141HR) run for the first time this year to bash any ideas of a time out of your head. Me poor legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Could anyone recommend something similar to this hydration belt?

I had one but the zip went on it and this one is out of stock in my size, 3. Which is a shame because thisbseems perfect and comes with good recommendations in here.

Only 2 weeks to the Dublin marathon so not a great time for this to happen!!

Check daily as it went out of stock the last time just after I bought it and I checked it a day or two later for a friend and it was back in. There is another one that can carry poles too … obviously you won’t be carrying poles but looks like would carry all the soft bottles. What are you planning to carry? I’m a huge fan of the zippered flipbelt … just not for the soft bottles.

I had been planning to just carry gels, but think I'll need to carry a soft bottle with a hydration tab in it. After last couple of long runs feel I'll need that on the day.

I'll keep an eye on it for a day or two but if it doesn't come back in then I'll pull the trigger on the trail one. Thanks for the info.

I used always carry my zero tablets cut in half in those little ziplock clear bags that buttons come in attached to new clothes. Half a tablet will fit in the top of the water bottles they hand out no problem. I’ve done every marathon so far with a flipbelt carrying all my gels, phone and those little clear bags for hydration tablets! The zip one is best though. The Edge in Cork have some zippered ones in various sizes. I saw them the other day.

Could a dress maker fix the zip on your current one?

• Advertisement

Hadn't thought of trying to get current one fixed, that's a possibility.

On my last long run I actually did that, had half a tab, wrapped in cling film as didn't have any small bags like that and found it easy to access on the run and dropped into a 250ml bottle. So will carry some during the race I think.

But was toying with the idea of having something like that made up or possibly a carb drink to carry with me just in case I miss a water station or could avoid the water stations early on altogether.

Still trying to decide on the best approach, though probably should have most of this figured out by now with only two weeks to go!!

Advertisement