Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The cold weather drops range but it’s not reflected in the display. The display is a set calculation from the factory which is a sun of the official WLOT/EPA wh/km multiplied by what the BMS thinks is available in the battery.

It doesn’t adjust for weather or driving style.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is why people need to stop looking at the KM in the screen. Set it to percentage and use the trip planner. This one is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭reni10

Except the percentage reading on the September delivered RWDs is actually off by about 10%!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Definitely change to percentage, it will stop your range anxiety.

Also think the buffer issue should deserve another thread, the info will get lost in here and not easy to reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

The % range in the trip planner hasn’t been off by more than 1% more than what it said when first putting in the destination for me. On some occasions I’ve arrived with more like today going to work it was 3% better than it initially predicted but never more than 1% less range when arriving if that makes sense.

Youd be mad to use the km option imo. Using the km option also makes little sense when looking at the app when charging.

The best way I can put it is, would you use your phone in hours and minutes left before it goes dead if you had the option?

The prediction is usually accurate but because the September delivered cars have a 7kwh buffer instead of a 2.5kwh buffer there is about 10% of energy left after the percentage reads 0% so that is what I mean by the percentage not being accurate..

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Mine is a September car and has 52 available like yours but I don’t use km. Tried it once and didn’t like it. The % has been brilliant.

Try it and put in the destination on your next drive. It’s more accurate than I thought it could be tbh. Got rid of any range anxiety I had after the first drive where I went from the pickup place in d12 with 42% I think, to the supercharger up the m1. Said 13% on arrival and that’s what it was when I got there. It will obviously be a bit off when speeding/putting the boot down but I do that far less now I have this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

So, something I tried last night. I ran the battery right down to zero (still had full power at 0% indicative of a high buffer) - screenshot below:

I then let the car go to sleep and disconnected my bluetooth from the phone so it would not wake the car up by accident. I let the car sit overnight at 0% and did not plug in the charger for scheduled charging as this would initially start a charging session, if even for a second. I woke the car up after 8am and magically the car was showing 6% battery, indicating that some of the buffer had been unlocked during the sleep.

So let's say 52kWh was equal to 94% so the 6% there this morning just over 3kWh.

Obviously impossible to say if this will be permanently unlocked but interesting how the deep sleep at 0% unlocked something, whether it is permanent or not only a test run or a phonecall to Tesla will tell in time.

• Advertisement

This could be the hack to “fix” the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You've probably done damage to the cells sitting at that low SOC in the cold overnight, lucky they are LFP.

It's the same in Bjorn's videos of the issue, as it gets to zero and you keep driving, you see in SMT more and more of the buffer is unlocked. This is temporary though. It was and is the same in other Tesla cars when the buffer was introduced.

No i havent done any damage - and not sure how i'm lucky its an LFP because i know it's an LFP - not as if i didn't know that and also the fact that there is a massive buffer. And its not the same as driving past zero. I effectively let it sit about 13% overnight in reality.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I effectively let it sit about 13% overnight in reality.

Anything below 20% is not recommended by Tesla, but you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Keep us posted if your future tests show the buffer is reduced permanently. And thanks again for all the info. and keeping us all updated, much appreciated.

Yeah thanks for testing this and hopefully that extra buffer lasts now and if it does then I will be doing this myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If it lasted, it would only get to the next update.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Note: If you allow the Battery to discharge to 0%, other components may become damaged or require replacement (for example, the low voltage battery). In these cases, you are responsible for repair and/or transporting expenses. Discharge-related expenses are not covered by the warranty or under the Roadside Assistance policy.

..LOL...

• Advertisement

In reality discharging a RWD Sept model 3 at 0% is nowhere near 0% so you can relax. The fact that the car has full power at 0% is an indicator of this. And Tesla confirmed to me my car had an 8kWh buffer. Thanks for your lol concern though.

So just a quick update for those interested in the buffer issue.

Tonight i ran a test - had to bomb up the M1 this evening to the beautiful town of Drogheda so it was perfect.

At 80% i had used 11 kWh and it was probably in the region of about 11.3kWh as it had changed to 11kWh a couple of mins previously. This would indicate a usable in the range of 55 to 56kWh.

I tried to take a photo but it was a bit blurred.

I had to stop in Drogheda for an hour or so, therefore i obviously had to use Sentry Mode.

At the end of my journey i had 67% remaining and used about 18.3kWh. So extrapolated again around the 55kWh usable mark.

All in all i have never been able to extrapolate beyond 52kWh so the buffer seems to have been reduced for now at least. I can't see why the next software upgrade would reverse that but i'll keep an eye on it.

I'm not recommending this to anyone but obviously everyone is free to do what they want. I have seen on another forum someone left their car at 6% overnight and it woke up with 12%, so who knows.

That looks very promising and thanks again for your efforts on this.

If Tesla from the start would have just said run it down to zero and give it some time to calibrate then that would have been fine but this denial and cloak and dagger stuff is just frustrating for the very people who are supporting them by buying their product!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

In light of recent price drops of the MY RWD, do you guys think the M3LR will drop below 60k? Is GigaBerlin also producing the M3?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

Hi All,

just wondering what is happening with the car, (it is a 221 RWD M3 I took delivery in April) and buffer issue, do I need to do anything.

I charged last night from 22% to 100%, Tesla app states I charged 42Kw and the charger app said 50kw, when I went to unlock the port it said 46kw charged. I presume what I am seeing here is a 8Kw buffer.

My range from the last charge was 250Km for 78% with sentry off, this seems very low. On a full charge it would be 300Km.

Monday to Wednesday car was driven to work and back leave for 6:15am, home at 19:30 parked up for the night, Thursday/Friday car used to do 2/3 small trips.

The range on the car today at 100% is 430Km that is a big difference. Any info or advice is much appreciated.

No, because if they drop it below the €60k then it gets grant which means it’s automatically €55k and it will kill RWD sales.

Maybe in 2 years when the SEAI Grant is gone.

439km is the magical range figure for the RWD LFP. That’s what yours and every other LFP RWD car will display (give or take a few km below) never more.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

Yes I agree, it is my range of 300km for a 100% charge is what I am worried about, Is 300km for a full charge about right? Thanks

Based on driving style, yes.

If you want to hit the WLPT you need ideal driving conditions, weather, roads etc

14.5 kwh per 100km and a 60 kwh LFP Battery with supposedly 57.5 kwh available means 57.5/14.5 means you should be getting near 400km from a full charge.

But the Tesla screen doesn't count battery usage when not moving, so pre-conditioning, climate etc may play a part here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 col_keaney

Anyone else having issues viewing Sentry events on the UI? It was working fine but lately I'm getting the event notification but no recorded video in the Sentry list. I tried re-formatting the USB drive and plugging it out/in, but still no videos appear. Anyone else experiencing the same? (with Sept RWD)

Advertisement