Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I've found exactly one pellet system so far that generates 700W from a Stirling engine for 9kW of heat. Currently my heat pump outputs 6kW so it's already oversized for what I would need

If I did go for a system like that then I would probably have it heating a large buffer tank to store the heat for use throughout the day. A bit like the water battery you've been using

I am starting to wonder if I'm thinking the wrong way about this. If I heat the house with something other than electricity then that removes a big chunk of the demand from my solar panels. So perhaps CHP is the wrong thing to be looking at...

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Tado type systems are fantastic. I had a significant reduction in gas use, easily paid for itself within about 1 year. There is an apparently a need to be cautious of the gas boiler constantly coming on and off. I kept an eye on it and I didn’t notice anything alarming.

in terms of thermostats mentioned above, they too can cause pump cycling and some argue they should be used as a limiter not a target to turn pump off- so if the same room is hitting the temp then reduce the flow rate. I have tried all the setups I have seen so far and my pump still uses a lot of KW, costing a bomb!!!

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

what temperature difference does that stirling engine need to run?

So I remember from my college days that Stirling engines don't need much temperature difference to run, a few degrees can be enough. But the bigger the difference, the faster they run

The problem is that while Stirling engines can reach quite a big rpm, they don't produce a huge amount of work. So they don't generate much electric power relative to heat output

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

@the_amazing_raisin what do you heat the house with now and what size is it? You said 'If I heat the house with something other than electricity then that removes a big chunk of the demand from my solar panels'

Asking as I've a plug-in rad on a thermostat in the kitchen / siting room at the moment. It's heating that 30sqm room for only 2kWh a day. Meaning electricity isn't breaking the bank. Granted it gets the sun and heat from the kitchen so starts as a warmish room. And the weather isn't cold now. Perfect for this time of autumn and same for start of spring. Haven't turned GCH on so far.

It's on 24hrs a day for last 2 weeks as I'm seeing if that helps (kinda opposite of what makes sense, that having on low heat all the time means the heat moves into the walls as thermal mass). Set to 17c at night. Then I change up to 20c during the day, bit by bit (I'm wfh so am here). Comes on every 2 hours at night for maybe 15mins. And unlike the GCH it keeps the room at a constant temp. Different strokers, different folks - our clan are grand with the rooms we sit in being warm and hall and upstairs cold.

We've no insulation downstairs and single pane windows. So we lose heat quickly normally. I know we need to sort that, but waiting on the money tree to regrow :)

Also bought a door hinge spring a few weeks back and makes a huge difference. In winter if the sitting room door is open, the heating would run all day and not stop. So now I don't need to nag the kids to 'close the door' :) MARIE Hydraulic Spring Door Closer with Hold Open Soft Close Size 2 with Automatic Adjustable Arm Operated for Commercial & Home 25-45KG Weight Door with Installation Video EN1154 Certification Black : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Here's the thermostat plug that comes on + off at temp you set (for plug-in rad): KETOTEK Digital Thermostat Plug Socket Temperature Controller 220V with Sensor Probe, Thermostatic Plug Heating Cooling for Greenhouse Freezer Refrigerator Fermentation : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science. In time I might move that to a wireless temp sensor in HA, but not a rabbit hole I need to go down now as works.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I'm overusing my brain a bit with the CHP, trying to solve every problem at once 😁

Step 1, get solar panels, and maybe an MHRV after that and we'll see how we're sitting

At the moment I'm using a 6kW ASHP to heat the house. It's actually pretty decent, seems to have a steady state load of around 800W when the auxiliary heater isn't being used

It does seem to get a bit chilly in the winters nights but I think that's more down to the high tech vents I have (hole in the wall) and the upstairs heating being imbalanced

Could put a plug-in rad in to 'boost' the room you're in for a few hours in depths of winter - if it won't confuse the temp sensor in the heat pump so it turns off. Then heatpump is perfect apart from that. Gotta love Irish high tech ventilation - hole in the wall :)

If you get the head down on the solar install and get that booked in, then you're done for now

I might look into a couple for the kids rooms, they're the ones that end up with the cold draft blowing through.

I'm still walking around in shorts and t shirt most days, but then again I've been referred to as a human thermonuclear reactor 😂

Solar farms 'can benefit wildlife'. Link: Solar farms a 'blight on the landscape'? Research shows they can benefit wildlife (theconversation.com)

Saw a good pic the other day of sheep sitting under the panels to avoid the heat of the sun :) I'm a city-slicker but assume it's possible to share the land (like they are doing in places with fruit trees and crops in the same field to give multiple yields on same land). And farmers then get the rent on the space for the panels (if they get into a lease). Ok, makes it more tricky with machinery and expensive panels in terms of risk of damage to them. But getting 2 incomes from a single field.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Sheep might be ok, you would want some robust supports to prevent damage when a cow scratches it's arse against it

• Advertisement

🤣 We know without optimisers a tiny % of shading on one panel has a huge drop in output for the whole string. Imagine what cow pats would do? :)

If this forum were to have a beers where would be a good location?

Tis very spread out it seems, some Cork (myself included), good few Dubs and some north west?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

32 counties at this stage I'd reckon. Athlone was always the centre point in my view.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Something like this to solve the heat loss issue rather than generating more heat? I don’t have these out the principle seems sound.

https://renergise.ie/shop/heat-recovery-ventilation/single-room-heat-recovery/ventilation/

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Yes I am thinking about such ductless systems for my downstairs, there a few around. Downside to these you need a socket nearby or you are chasing.

Upstairs i can go ducted.

Hydro envy, creates enough energy to power 8 million homes :) BC in Canada. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI5V6QKcpSQ&list=PLzD0K2OhbVfEs4ENmPNe3EQb7deSqRqqU&index=2

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The 3 gorges dam hydro plant in China is 10 times as powerful as that 😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Currently at 77% renewable according to one of the other pages,.. but from 12am to say 6 ish.. is the wind being curtailed there?

• Advertisement

It's possible. Earlier this year, the max the grid could take was 75% from wind. This percentage has obviously risen further but that 77% could well be the current max.

Speaking of wind power

Normally I dismiss "revolutionary" rooftop wind turbines as scams, but to be fair to this company they're saying their one has been verified by several independent labs and they've got a trial installation going on a commercial building

Having said that, their website doesn't actually link to any of these reports. Their LinkedIn page has some more information, each unit is rated at 5kW AC, so it's a bit of a beast

I think they're smart by going for commercial buildings with flat roofs which probably don't suffer from the same poor airflow that houses would have

It'd be nice if they did a smaller model that can be mounted on the ridge of a peaked roof. If you could get a fairly constant 500W out of it then that would help meet a lot of the base load for most houses, and might get some more charge into your batteries

I would say this is probably 75% chance of being a scam, down from the typical 99% for most rooftop turbines

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Once they actually get them in hands with real people... (youtube essetially) if it works there it will spread well by word of mouth.. or not (see tesup!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Something like this would work. That tool doesn't seem to be able to weight a location based on multiple residents though, so the proposed location is suboptimal.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's going to be a flop, the general rule of rooftop wind turbines is that you're trying to make the best of bad airflow so you are doomed to get bad output

Like I said, they're being clever by going for office buildings and apartment blocks rather than houses to try and get the best performance

It would be nice to see something like these alongside on all the taller buildings in Dublin to generate some clean energy

From an investment point of view, they probably aren't cheap so I can't imagine them paying for themselves any quicker than solar

What would be cool would be if someone released an open source version that could be put together using some sheet aluminium and 3D printed parts so it was dirt cheap to build

If you could get something that was roof mounted for under €250 and gave a steady few hundred watts then a couple of them on the roof of a house would pay for themselves pretty quickly I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Interesting point .....the Chinese government are planning 4 more smaller dams upstream from the 3 gorges with a total capacity of 38,000MW, so nearly doubling the capacity of the existing 3 gorges. That's a shed load of power.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Chinese are good at dams, I visited the decades old Aswan dam in Egypt a few years back, they put it in for the Egyptians and a nice China memorial on site. Scale of the dam was unreal.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Was reading a mad stat recently. China has added more solar in the last few years than the whole EU has installed since solar became a thing.

Another stat was how much solar they install in China that is also made in China. Was a huge %. Which gives them more security of the kit and better pricing.

And it’s part of the reason the EU are looking to start to manufacture more solar + renewables – to can get access to stock. 

China installs more solar PV per year than the rest of the world combined

China installs more wind generation per year than the rest of the world combined

China installs more hydro per year than the rest of the world combined

• Advertisement

There are several dams upstream and several dams downstream already. The combined output is roughly enough to power a country like France or the UK. Fully renewable, zero emissions.

Advertisement