Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

No my dude, whats happening here is that you are having the perfectly normal and rational response to having been duped and deceived into taking this vaccine, like millions of others on this island. Now these guys are trying to gaslight you with their "No thats not what happened at all, it was all right there on page 347 of the trial data, didn't you read the fine print? It was right there? Don't you understand complex immunological data like me? Weird. Guess not everyone can be smart"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was referring to the advice re: protecting others and the scientific rationale underlying vaccine mandates.

The health authorities would have been following e.g. the studies and trials linked in the twitter thread posted here.

And for example...

A new CDC study provides strong evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections in real-world conditions among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential workers. These groups are more likely than the general population to be exposed to the virus because of their occupations... Results showed that following the second dose of vaccine (the recommended number of doses), risk of infection was reduced by 90 percent two or more weeks after vaccination... One of this study’s strengths is its design: participants self-collected nasal swabs each week for RT-PCR laboratory testing, regardless of whether they had developed symptoms of illness. 

If you aren't testing positive on a PCR swab, you are not going to transmit virus to anyone else.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0329-COVID-19-Vaccines.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

See? It was right there, page 234, paragraph 2, clause b - "the 3% interest rate on your loan will be compounded every seven days". Oh wait when you were told in the ads and read in the posters about the 3% loan rate you thought it was an annual rate? How ever did you get that idea? Hahaha, its hilarious how you now blame your financial worries on the loan companies when it was right there in black and white for anyone to find? Now its somehow their fault that you're losing your house? Wow, and you have a college degree? Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There's no "duping" going on.

When advice was given in the beginning of the pandemic not to wear masks it was because some quarters thought that masks were not be sufficient to stop the pathogens, and would give people a false sense of security against the virus. When it was later discovered that the virus primarily transmitted on aerosols and droplets from our noses/mouth, then that info was updated. It wasn't like some experts were in some conspiracy against masks, or that they were deliberately "duping" the public, it's that the virus was new and we didn't know everything about it.

Likewise when the vaccines were under development, many people believed that they would "stop" transmission of the virus, some experts and politicians even believed that they would. When the vaccines came out, they already showed relatively good performance against the early variants they developed for, but less so for the current (at the time) variations and mutations that later emerged. That's the limitations of medical science. This is why the advice has been updated and is constantly updated.

As mentioned, a new strain could evolve tomorrow for which the vaccines have no effect. That doesn't mean we've all been "duped", or that there was some vast conspiracy.

Again, none of these posts are for your personal benefit, you've already made up your mind. They are for other posters who may be reading this and to demonstrate the flaws in the kind of irrational and paranoid thinking on display in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Is this not pretty much all irrelevant now that Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla has admitted the company didn’t have time to see if its vaccine would stop the spread of COVID.

"do it for others / Take the jab to save granny" has this week been shown to be an outright lie, as Janine Small (Pfizers President of International Developed Markets at Pfizer) confirmed to Rob Roos MEP, no, they did not test to see it their product stopped transmission of the virus before it entered the market. "we had to really move at the speed of science"

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement

No, what the Pfizer CEO said is irrelevent to the advice that was given to get vaccinated to protect others.

The reasons why it is irrelevent are posted here and nobody has challenged them.

So perhaps you should have a read before concluding "is this not pretty much irrelevent now".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thats WAY too much (correct) info for a lot of people.

Keep it to a snappy screenshot from Facebook or a short quote from some random doctor please.....

So since you're convinced the average guy on the street won't be able to assimilate complex info, maybe its not that ethical to go with punchy slogans such as "Stop the spread" "Protect the vulnerable" "Get the covid vaccine to help protect others" and put them on every TV ad every radio ad, every billboard 24/7 360 degrees for years. Especially if you KNOW those slogans are based on a FALSE premise. You know, because people may take decisions they wouldn't otherwise take if you were being honest and truthful with them. Why then, if this info was known, did they put out a message they knew was misleading oh wise ones?

It's just been explained that the Covid vaccines did protect others. They still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They werent based on a false premise.

Are they 100% safe? No

Do I think a lot of the measure were bullshit? Yes

Did I spend 2 years banging my head off a brick wall losing friends and family and annoying everyone? No.

The vaccines were rolled out, billions of people took them, cases and deaths plummeted and the world opened up again. As "they" said it would. Time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It was omicron which caused end of covid insanity. Not vaccines.

The world learnt there is an unnerving amount of people among us who are dangerously ignorant. These people ignored millions of deaths, ignored the threat to national health systems, screeched about imagined "tyranny", went nuts about having to wear a bit of cloth, refused to socially distance and lost their minds over vaccines that reduced deaths from the virus.

At points ICU's were packed with unvaccinated Covid patients, ironically dying from the thing they claimed wasn't real or wasn't a threat. How many died from a piece of paper over their face?

That's the real insanity.

Tell that to Hong Kong.

Without vaccines Omicron would have overwhelmed health services.

So in short you are doubly wrong.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

Omicron hit Ireland in early December 2022.

Given that Covid was nowhere near under control in late November 21 in Ireland, 11 months after start of vaccine roll out, and all then all restrictions were lifted a little over 3 months later, which do you think was the bigger factor in the turn around?

a) the vaccines

or

b) Omicron

Vaccines were the only game in town before Omicron arrived, and while it had not brought Covid fully under control it had mitigated it to a large extent.

Without vaccines, Omicron would have run riot.

Yes vaccines were the only game in town prior to Omicron but with the overwhelming majority of the country vaccinated we were nowhere near seeing the back of covid.

Yet little over three months later restrictions were lifted. So clearly something other than the vaccines brought that about. Common sense tells us it was Omicron. Being a significantly more infectious yet a significantly milder variant.

Omicron was significant.

But what would have happened if Omicron had hit an unvaccinated population? Carnage. See Hong Kong.

While we hadn't seen the back of Covid prior to Omicron, we had nowhere near that carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

“Vaccinated people have very little risk of infection; they can do what they want to do,” said Dr. George Rutherford, a professor of epidemiology at UC San Francisco. “I think we’re in pretty good shape, and I think it’s going to be pretty much a disease-free summer.”

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-06-15/being-vaccinated-doesnt-mean-you-must-go-without-a-mask

That went well.

My point is what happened with vaccines and a huge uptake. Omicron finished the job the vaccines were unable to do. Covid moved from pandemic to endemic status in short order thanks to Omicron.

To deny this is pointless.

I didnt deny it because thats not what was claimed originally. I am pointing out that without vaccines either it would not have moved to endemic status without carnage, if it even did so - to deny that "is pointless".

Goalposts shifting much?

• Advertisement

That is BS. Because we were told when the mRNA vaccine was being developed that if a new variant came out it would only take a minor tweak of the genetic code to have a new vaccine in place. I think 3 weeks was mentioned. (the wonders of Genetic Manipulation) It is obvious now that that was either a lie or misinformation. This was back from the heady days when we assumed a vaccine would stop transmission. How little did we know.

Apologies, I thought you were contradicting patnor101s comment:

It was omicron which caused end of covid insanity. Not vaccines.

What goalposts am I shifting?

Omicron alone did not end it without vaccines.

The implication in the original post is that vaccines did not play a significant role.

Nothing changed in Africa. Nothing changed in countries who refused the vaccine. Why not? Excess deaths going through the roof in vaxxed countries but the same in countries that did not engage. Why?

Sure the vaccines played their part but the specific question I asked you was which do you think was a more significant factor in that turnaround:

a) the vaccines

or

b) Omicron

To me it seems very obvious that it was Omicron. I don't really care whether you answer or not. But pointless to go round and round in circles saying Omicron would have been worse without vaccines.

You wont get answers here. You are an anti-vaxxer and are not on the level of these pro proof science, pro drug extremists here. Even though I have a sneaky suspision you are on a level above them.

Question has already been asked and you have my response.

Omicron would have been worse without vaccines.

Its not pointless to state this on a thread where multiple other posters deny the vaccine is even a vaccine or protects against severe covid and call Omicron a dose of the sniffles and ignore what happened in Hong Kong.

From your own link, the CDC initially recommended against masks, they later strongly encouraged mask usage.

Likewise with the lockdown, certain experts thought the first would be the last. Same with the vaccine, some thought we wouldn't need other measures, some thought the vaccine would work like the Smallpox vaccine (where one shot was enough)

As we learnt more, certain advice changed and was updated. It's pretty shocking that this has to be explained to what I can only presume are adults.

Conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers believe any change in advice was part of some conspiracy, or scam that they can't explain. Or they see it as a mistake with which they can use to attack science/government - "look science was wrong!".

So why do we not have overrun hospitals in unvaxxed countries in Europe or Africa?

• Advertisement

"Europe"? "Africa"?

That's a very broad question and I reject its premise.

But I expect, as has already been pointed out to you, it has something to do with the number of vulnerable people in the country, how many are vaccinated, and their expectations of hospital treatment. Hard to over run hospitals that aren't there. Unless you are going to pretend that the number of vulnerable people in 'Africa' is the same demographically as 'Europe'? Or the level of hospital care typically provided or accessed?

Advertisement