Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gogglebox Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Really like the older sisters from Donegal - great chat and banter from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SON1987

You would be sick of John and Dave they use them for every ad and so much in every show Jesus I like them but it’s starting to wear on me now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I agree they seem to be the main focus of the series, nice lads and they always seem to focus on them saying something outrageous

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Enjoyed last night's episode, some v funny comments.

So much better than UK Googlebox imo.

CPL 593H

Australian version is my favourite out of the three i watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

God no. There are so many insipid people on the Irish one

Jesus....

Don't watch it then!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

I think the first few series were much better than the corresponding UK series of the time. But the Irish version has been poor this season IMO. The new people aren't great.

I wouldn’t agree I think they should have shown less of some people and more of others sometimes they show too much of the people like cabra girls Dave and johns and Anita etc because they know people like them but to even things out more they should show the others just as much! Also sometimes all the opinions seem the same I wonder if that’s the editing but the uk one has differing opinions which is what makes it more interesting I suppose. I would like to see more of the Morans, the two Donegal women the grudfertys and the Louth lad and his wife. The brother and sister are very hard to tell we’ve literally seen them three times I would say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Why shouldn't we watch it? It's an enjoyable show overall but has a few duds on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cailin_Ciuin_92

I think they're one of the few families on it that offer a lot of depth. They always contribute to the more serious conversations and both seem fairly well informed and honest. John spoke quite openly about eating disorders last year and David about mental health. The fact they they both identify as gay men may have something to do with why they, at times, talk about being gay men. 😂 Same way the two Cavan lads talk about being Farmers and women, and the Cabra Girls talk about going on dates, men etc. Interesting that you seem to have focused in on the two lads though...

Agree that they're heavy on the edit this year but that said they've barely been in the last few eps. Seems to be the way each season works though that 1 or 2 families seem to be more dominant ones. Anyway enjoying this season. It's light entertainment which I think everyone needs atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Remember we are seeing the edited version. I’d be pretty confident that anything slightly controversial would be edited out, so it’s unlikely we are seeing their true personalities. The editing is probably crafting planned personalities for each family also.

The fact that they are gay men doesn’t mean that is who they are, they have other things going on that identify who they are as people it’s not all about sexuality.

the two ladies don’t talk about being lesbian all the time and i think the creators of gogglebox are editing the show to make jog and Dave appear outrageous with comments like

oh he’s a ride

or another comment was

I wouldn’t kick him out of bed for leaving crumbs

You may have overlooked my point. Over the last few seasons they have contributed a lot of commentary that extends beyond the realms of their sexuality (which they, along with any other of the families, are entitled to do). It's interesting that you seem to have focused in on the comments that do relate to their sexual identity and have chosen to overlook all the other commentary that they make, which is extensive and the majority. Like I said in my previous post I think they're one of the few families that offer a lot of depth. They regularly comment on more serious topics and news items and seem genuine and informed in what they say. Why do you choose to overlook this commentary?

The Cabra ladies often and openly make similar comments, the Tully lads have also made similar comments, Barbara and Janet in Donegal the same, along with a lot of the other families. Why choose to focus on John and Dave and not say the same about others that make similar comments? I suspect this says more about you and your own personal feelings towards them and their sexuality as gay men.

Anyway, it's not my intent to get into debate in this thread. However, it's important to call out this narrative for what it is. Regardless, the one thing everyone in this thread can hopefully agree on is that the show is some nice light entertainment. Off course there are going to be certain families that people gravitate toward and that's the joy of the show :).

• Registered Users Posts: 86,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

I'm loving this series. It's the last episode next week. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did one of the Donegal ladies threaten to bury Eamonn Ryan if he comes to Donegal?

I didn't think death threats about actual people were part of the Gogglebox chat routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm sure she was only thinking of the environment and regenerating her local peatlands when she said she'd bury him in the bog. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How many carbon offsets? 🙂

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Last episode tomorrow I wonder if they will do any specials or anything it’s a pity it’s over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Just watching the last episode back now and I must say David and his wife are very funny. She’s a good laugh and it doesn’t seem as forced. Home they come back next season. The Ryan’s in Limerick and The Gruffertys are still my favourite. The Donegal sisters are also gas. The girl in Tipp with her dad are funny too - some cracking lines out of them. John and Dave disappoint this season - that story Dave said about his nephews getting the birthday present through revolut, he had that on Twitter months and months ago and all the other stories were a bit forced too. All in all a good series

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭LushiousLips

There's episodes on YouTube.

I had a look, didn't like it.

CPL 593H

David was talking about his niece on the show, not his nephew. He had a story on his instagram with his niece talking about how he thought it was mad a 7 year old accepted Revolut the week before the show. The likelihood is they both have it but seeing as his nieces birthday was more recent it was a talking point between John and he? They don't strike me as the type that would try and force themselves. I agree though, this season wasn't their strongest - but it's nice to see variety across seasons. I felt the same about the Cabra ladies and the twins. I think they add a lot but seemed a little deflated toward the end. You never know what's going on in the families personal lives so maybe there was something else going.

I adore Barbara and Janet, they're great fun. Same with the father and daughter from Leitrim. He's great.

I agree though, a fun season overall. Looking forward to having it back next year. Hopefully it will be back earlier!

Barbara and Janet are very good. The father and daughter are from TipperRy not Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I felt the season was good enough. I'd have liked a few more episodes.

I don't think the new families were great tough. Brother and sister were meeh and the Ashbourne family especially the dad didn't ad anything to it for me.

I agree on all aspects. I feel the Ashbourne family would have developed a bit more if there was more episodes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The brother and sister (can't even remember their names) are absolutely awful, add nothing to the show.

I actually like the Ashbourne family and think they'll get better with more time.

Just randomly remembered the Saunders family from Kilkenny, were they in this years series at all? Seems like they might be gone.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Saunders family were gone.

I do think they find it hard to get families. Over the years they've looked for priest/friend, travellers, working professionals, etc but they don't seem to get them or they do get applicants but they mightn't be suitable for whatever reason.

Advertisement