Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young voters' view of the Troubles on the island of Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

To repeat the previous answer given but trying to make it even more obvious for you.

I'm not going to like it, so technically that would be a no

Would I be outraged, would I demand resignations , would I comment on boards, probably not.

If you escalate that scenario further in severity, to wearing poppies, or waving a British regiment flag etc then the discomfort and repulsion will obviously increase but I'm not going to stop them, control them etc.

One could construe that as a yes but i wouldn't be fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, none of the actions of the PIRA were reasonable, correct or justified. They were completely unjustified, they set Northern Ireland as a society back by decades. Rights for people that were just being achieved by the Civil Rights Movement were set back, relationships between North and South were set back, the PIRA imposed a dark time on this island.

Whataboutery doesn't cut it as a defence either.

That's one way of looking at it I guess.

It's like the Mick Wallace/Clare Daly approach to Ukraine and for similar reasons should be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I'm proud of the irish womens team and they shouldn't have apologised, especially the foreign manager who doesnt have a clue. We've already lost our national anthem in rugby, yet the english can still sing a slave song

7 out of 10 were involved in the military or the State that the IRA killed. Unprecedented in conflict. Things were done that shouldn't have been, mistakes made but what conflict doesn't.

I've read this statement a few times now, I don't think it's accurate. This study https://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/troubles/troubles_stats.html has a graph near the end that shows 50% of Republican murders were of British Security Forces, so ergo 50% were not. Also this study https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/sutton/tables/Status_Summary.html although not broken down by victim shows that the majority of all victims were civilian. This Irish Times report https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/academic-says-republicans-responsible-for-60-of-troubles-deaths-1.3983227 says that "there were 2,636 Troubles related deaths during that period and republican paramilitaries accounted for some 59 per cent" and "698 Protestant civilians lost their lives in the conflict with most of these being at the hands of republicans" so again here 59% of 2636 is 1555 and 698 is 45% of 1555 (which is slightly low percentage because this doesn't take into account Catholic civilian victims of Republican paramilitaries) so again I don't see how you can reach your 70% figure. It's most likely around 50%.

• Advertisement

Don't let the facts and realities of the horrors of the PIRA get in the way of the glorification.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

One good thing to come from this is that some people, outside of disingenuous pearl clutchers, might go and find out what the song was actually written for and about.

Saying that 'Celtic Symphony' is about the IRA is like saying 'American Pie' is a song about baking.

It is the Wolfe Tones, and the chorus is "Up the Ra", so yeah, whatever the song was actually written for, the propaganda bit is clear. The best propaganda is always disguised as something else. Turning a piece of evil propaganda into a chart-topping song is quite an achievement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’ve had the tune going around my head since 1st thing this morning 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement

Seems like we will have to add UEFA to the list of perma-offended.

It is going to take a long while for Irish people to learn that there is no special jolly exemption for Irish people singing songs that glorify blowing up people of a different race.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Still, you have to scratch your head over the cognitive disconnect involved in a great group of young people paying a dignified tribute to people killed in the Cresslough explosion and ten minutes later singing a chant glorifying a terrorist organisation that bombed hundreds of civilians to death.

About 1000 serving armed forces, about 191 Loyalists/UDR paramilitaries.

Thats before one starts to look at Unionist politicians, those targeted because they were helping the State run the war machine.

70%+ in that case.

It could always have been balanced higher but there are few conflicts where such an effort was made to equal the above.

There remains no nice conflict.

Doesn't make it right.

This incident strikes right to the heart of the issue in this thread, that young people no longer understand the horrors that the PIRA inflicted on ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Do you check under your bed at night for provos?

Interesting comment, plenty of people had to check under vehicles, etc back in the day just on the off chance they were going to get blown to pieces outside their house.

If you think it is only just a stupid line in a song about glasgow celtic, then you don't get it.

Yes, I thought you might be using the "legitimate targets" definition. Politicians, uniform manufacturers, delivery men, builders, .... I think at one point the entire population of the six counties was a "legitimate target" of one side or the other. This is the reality. This is why I don't like to see glorification of either side, there is no glory in what happened up here for 30 years. It was hell to live through. (Disclaimer : I do recognise the desire of people to commemerate the loss of loved ones on both sides, that is not where my comments are intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Most young people find it strange that we celebrated the War of Independence 100 years ago and we still havent got a united ireland 100 years later !

My sons view is we should have all stayed under British rule rather than 26 of us been free and 6 living under British rule or else the 32 of us should be part of a united Ireland not the fudge the treaty caused and the thousands of lives lost in the Civil war and the Troubles and we are still dealing with the consequences of the division of the Island .

• Advertisement

That is one of the most evil twists of the PIRA defenders, the way that they turn ordinary people going about their ordinary business into "legitimate targets".

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Trondheim

Regarding the original question, i view it as being a bit like Brexit. 52% of the British public wanted Brexit. At least a good proportion of them had enough intelligence to know that it could be economically harmful to the UK, so they had to suppress that critical thinking part in order to go with the other part of their brain that responded to the raw emotion of "take back control". That suppression of critical thinking (famously by Gove who said "I think the people of this country have had enough of experts") continued into politics afterwards. They had been promised that if they voted to leave, they would have all the benefits of membership without the constraints. When that didn't materialise, it was difficult to review the decision, so they voted for Johnson, just to get the bloody thing done. In the space of 6 years, they have lost so much, with each PM getting worse and worse, their economy getting worse and worse and none of the promises of what post-brexit would look like evident. It is only now that they are coming to their senses and the tories are dropping in the polls.

I fear it will be the same with SF. It is normal to want to get government parties out of government after so many years, even more so amongst younger voters. At the moment, SF are the only viable alternative, so the drive to do that allows them to close off their critical thinking when it comes to what the IRA did. My fear is that SF will not improve things when they get into power, but we will end up with a UK (2016-2022) scenario, where things get worse and worse, but people stick to their decision. How much damage will SF have to do before we get out the other side? Look how polarised the UK is now. Parties that come to power on the basis of division have only place to go when they cannot deliver on their promises - find mythical traitors to demonise.

The twitterati really scare me. The SF crew are either really numerous or really active (or both) on twitter, drowning out any reasonable criticism of them. As some have said, the depressing thing about this week isn't the singing of the song (which was wrong, but could have been reasonably easily resolved), but the vitriol that the SF gang aimed at anybody who criticised the singing of the song. They are the same gang who spend their time online shaming anybody who utters a careless phrase that could in any way to be interpreted as sexist, racist, homophobic or transphobic, but have spent all this week saying "relax man, it is just a song". The ultimate truth twisting is when they accuse people of misogyny because men shouldn't tell women what they can and cannot sing. We are truly at animal farm. We must be super careful with every minority, unless SF deems them undeserving, in which case (e.g., IRA victims) are fair game for any kind of insensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Even by Una Mullally’s usual standards, this is a hopelessly confused and confusing article. So Una thinks it’s wrong to shout Up the Ra, but maybe not really, because it’s young people doing it, and something something Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are bad something something, and OK boomer.

At the end of the day, shouting Up the Ra is shouting support for war crimes like Warrington, Shankill Road bombing, Enniskillen, La Mon etc etc., and no end of muddled faux-profound rationalising should excuse it.

I think what Una is pointing towards is the toxic rise of nationalism and its acceptance among the young. Truly sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

It is sad to see isn't it blanch, yet FF and FG have been in power for the entirety of these young peoples lives, and longer. Do you think the policies that they state sanction and enact right across the board, might have something to do with this disgraceful toxic rise?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Basically 'I dont like the opposition so I'll constantly give out about anything that smells of left wing-ism'? Whats 'toxic' about a rise in 'nationalism' (even if in reality its a reaction against an increasingly right winged government rather than anything to do with a rise in 'nationalism')

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What's toxic about the rise in nationalism? Have you been paying any attention at all to what's been happening in the UK over the last seven years or so?

Or Poland, or Hungary, or... Russia...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No because governments don't control what people think 🙄 this isn't f**king North Korea.

What has changed is that there is now a large cohort of young voters who do not remember the realities of the Troubles yet got taught f**k-all about it in school, so can easily fall victim to SF/IRA rewriting of history.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

The lyrics and song are online. It seems clear the song is a vehicle get in a chant about the PIRA, which goes down well with a section of the Celtic football supporters, Wolfe Tones Fans, "Republicans" (dont know why they use that term in this day and age - Liberty, Egality, Fraternity PIRA supporters aint).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

so all 'nationalism' is bad? Paint with large brushes much?

Advertisement