Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

People online are going mad that the lucozade sport is in cups. If the water was too there would be riots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

I remember one year getting handed a 500ml bottle of lucozade. All I wanted was a small bottle of water. It was like getting handed a lead weight to carry. A mouthful to wet the mouth and got rid of it. Couldn’t even put some over the head. Such a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Dublin Marathon organisers (the Holy Triumvirate of AAI, DCM comm-itee, and Irish Runner Mag) should follow the Antrim Coast HM examples of sustainability.

So:

1) All DCM finisher's medals should be made of wood, preferably some kind of Nordic spruce reflecting Viking origins.

2) No finisher's shirts. T-shirts are just glorified plastic bags, microplastic fibre packages

3) For every finisher, a tree should be planted in the Phoenix Park. These could be harvested every 10 years for more medals or effigies of the DCM pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Thankfully common sense prevails and there'll be actual bottles of water instead of the bare dribble you end up getting from the cups. A total disaster, just accept it. I don't want to hear the usual "its easy, just do x, y and z" which inevitably requires a surgeons touch. Only a tiny percentage are happy with cups.

Having said that I think the lucozade cups is more sensible than the enormous bottles they used to give out. It must be the biggest waste of product possible. Pretty much hundreds of near full bottles of lucozade flew around the streets of crumlin.

At least people drink or can carry the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

100% agree. Cups are a disaster for rehydration, especially at marathon distance. The ability to grab a bottle and hold onto it for a few Kms if needed makes a huge difference compared to trying to fold the cup a bit to form a spout and take a mouthful without spluttering everywhere.

Is it confirmed somewhere then that they're proceeding with bottles for the marathon this year? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Yes, 250ml water bottles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What is the Purple Mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

+1 for bottles over cups. For anyone trying to keep a regular pace cups are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Anyone know can you get someone else to collect your ticket for you if you send them the email? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

You can if you sign something to say that you allow them to but one person can only pick up one additional race pack, as well as their own. So your friend could pick yours up, but nobody elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

The Antrim Coast HM was a total mess last year, I wouldn't be following their example in anything after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Ideal info thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I agree, their total focus is on the elite: they forgot about us mere mortals. The start was a total shamble, the worst ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I take it they'll be removing the little posts from Fitzwilliam Place. Could be a very interesting start otherwise 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What's with the water obsession of recent days/weeks?

The idea that big (250ml) plastic bottles of water are compulsory for reasonably comfortable running is just laughable, in my opinion. Ye just need to practice with the alternative. Drinking from cardboard cups is not hard at all, even if you have to stop dead to do so. Just practice, and get used to the idea that this is the new normal - even it will be another year before DCM finally phases out the plastic. Drinking from cardboard cups is very easy. It's time to stop making a virtue out of incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Agree. Hate the cups. Those small 250ml bottles are perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Ah come on now, expecting people to stop dead 7 or 8 times is totally unrealistic. At the end of the day it's a race and most people are trying to complete it in the fastest time possible.

https://irishlifedublinmarathon.ie/sustainability/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You don’t have to stop dead though - that’s the last resort!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

quick straw poll - 3:10-15 target

how many ml’s of water would you normally take at the marathon distance?

my last few, I reckon all the sips from water station bottles would add up to 800ml or so, maybe less. We’re all different of course, I’m trying to figure out if I’m way over or under. I drink/sip to thirst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

For 3h30 I expect to drink 500/600ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I would plan my marathon hydration for a 3.10 time around 1000ml or more

My last marathon wasn't far of 3.15, hydration and fueling are combined in some respect as I use non hydro gels, for each gel I drink about 100ml to wash it down. I usually try to take a gel after a water station but I always carry a 250ml soft bottle in an elasticated running belt for the times the fueling pattern doesn't fit into the race station locations, have been doing this for a long time so its not a problem to carry a bottle, doent even know its there and running without it doesn't offer any great improvement.

To add to this there is the last 10 mile thirst were drinking is when I feel like I want a drink. I would add one thing, I now take a salt tab prior to running long long but many people use electrolytes during, this would increase the hydration, been a while since i used them so I cant add.

These is my current needs and these relate to an autumn marathon with 5-12°C expectation, If it was above 18°C I might drink double that. A point I suppose is important to note is that my dietary habits and conditioning when I first started running would have me drinking a lot more.

If you want my advise, stick with what you know works(in your case 800ml), this is different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Yeah the weather / heat can make a big difference to how much you sweat. This week I've been running in 14 degrees, and 6 degrees! Two very different hydration needs there. I'm guessing we'll be in the cooler end weather-wise in two weeks time at 9am, but something to consider.

You can do a long run, weigh yourself before and after, and you'll see how much fluid you've lost. That can give some indication as to how much to hydrate.

To answer the question above, I'll be drinking minimum 2 liters for a 3.30 ish marathon, but my friend running 3.15 just takes a few sips here and there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

How long is a piece of string answer. How much do you sweat, weather and how hard you’re working etc.

Only thing is if you dehydrate it’s extremely hard to rehydrate during the race. Like taking a gel after you bonk to get going again. Rarely does someone come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Just back from the last 20miler. 3:15 pace and I took a 250ml soft flask, 3 70ml gels and a bunch of saltstick tabs.

cold crisp morning though and I wasn’t sweating like previous weeks at all

I was just thinking there seeing the Amsterdam Marathon finish and start in the Olympic Stadium, wouldn’t it be great if the Dublin Marathon finished in Croke Park. What an experience that would be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A stadium finish probably looks good for the cameras, not sure it's so good for the competitors though. You'd have less spectators able to access the finish area, even allowing for spectators getting in for free... People just wouldn't do that as it complicates things. Simply just rocking up to the side of the road with the kids in tow and waving a flag and shouting for the other parent is far simpler.

Going through the faff of getting into a stadium and being further away from the runners just wouldn't be the same. No chance for high fives along the finish with random runners either. I think it would create a sterile feeling finish area.

• Advertisement

Advertisement