Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to do 'everything' to prevent evictions - McEntee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Whatever reason landlords exit the market is frankly none of your business in a free society. Many could be in financial difficulty with increasing interest rates and can't afford two mortgages. Many may be concerned by the risk of having to pay said mortgages with unpaying tenants in situe.

There is wide interest in state policy and it has repercussions on our ability to fund our society. Strong arm, populist interference in property rights should not to be taken likely by a country so dependent on FDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You can sell up tomorrow if you want. Do you want me to send you examples of houses listed for auction with tenants in-situ to prove that it can be done?

In reality, it is quite an exceptional gift to residential landlords to allow them to be able to turf out a tenant when they want to sell a property. Most countries do not allow that.

That's well and good once they are aware in advance of the terms and conditions and given the opportunity to exit if those change without having their right to sell revoked without notice.

To be fair, you go on about a free society...... yet a few posts above you are calling for state intervention to guarantee private debts (in the form of rental income guarantees).

Your confusion appears to stem from your apparent misbelief that you could not sell your property tomorrow if you wanted to.

Hint: You can.

• Advertisement

Well if they are going to call for an extraordinary ban on evictions they should foot some of that bill no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The government isn't telling landlords they can't sell, it's looking to impose and eviction moritorium for a limited time (subject to constitutional constraints). You're conflating the two and they are not the same.

If it's more challenging for another BTL landlord to secure a loan for a property with tenants in situ in this window, take it up with the banks.

There's cash buyers, investment funds and local authorities in the mix that may well help the poor put-upon landlord esacpe the hell of being a landlord during this brief moritorium window.

Nobody promised you anything. It's time to grow up. This isn't the Republic of Landlords.

Again, it would be a moratorium on evictions. They would not be making it illegal to receive rent or have it accrue for those months. Are you misunderstanding it?

OK so what about someone who rented their place out while working abroad who now wants to return to their own place and finds themselves homeless in Dublin purely due to a government ban on issuing (6 month!) notice?

Maybe your hypothetical landlord would like to get a taste of the Dublin rental market for a few short months. Maybe give him/her food for thought before he/she can move back in.

You know, just like everyone else who moves back to Ireland and has to submit themselves to the rental market.

• Advertisement

What all of this will do is give him/her food for thought before they rent their place out in the first place when going abroad, leaving it empty, and adding one more rental unit worth of people to a queue of hundreds in Kimmage when a place comes free.

If your notional landlord moving abroad doesn't rent out their house because of a time-limited moritorium who is the state or I to stop him committing such an act of financial self harm? Forgoe many months or years of high-water-mark rents? Not the smartest docket you've ever seen that landlord.

If you rent a place out short term you want to be able to return when you choose not when the government chooses.

Anyway he/she receives x in rent net of tax under your nasty scenario above and pays 2x in rent when they return and shut out of their own place by a government ban.

So maybe it's the people looking to implement this who are not the smartest dockets, or the people supporting it.

A landlord can "want" all he or she wants. Tenancy law is mediated and set by legislation and government and within constitutional constrains. If the government elects to strengthen those rights in the interests of the common good against the narrower and discreet "wants" of a notional landlord living abroad, they'll have to suck that up.

You use language like "their place". When you sign yourself to be a landlord, you are by definition signing over the exclusive use of the property to the tenent, and it's mediated by law. It becomes their home and they are given protections against the whimseys of the property owner.

I'm not sure where you're gettin 2x rent btw. You're making up scenarios in your head now.

Tenants have rights, and property rights are not unlimited, and you have yet to reconcile yourself with this.

"When you sign yourself to be a landlord, you are by definition signing over the exclusive use of the property to the tenent, and it's mediated by law. It becomes their home and they are given protections against the whimseys of the property owner."

That's partially true, the constitution doesn't currently recognise the home bit, under the law landlords can give reasonable notice (its a minimum of 6 months). You can't retrospectively apply these concepts to people who, for example, rented their palce out short term on the understanding they would get it back.

There are landlords in the market who want to rent out short term.

If you want to get rid of them, this is a good step toward that, because no-one will risk renting their place out short term.

The net effect of that is less supply.

As for the x/2x, lets take a rent of 2k per month, net of tax etc. landlord receives ~1k, probably that goes toward partially paying the mortgage, whatever it's irrelevant.

They return and rent a similar place that costs them net of tax 2k.

It isn't rocket science. Plus they take on the risk of a tenant that stops paying and the eviction delays etc.

Simply not worth it. So we will have less units on the market.

In addition, you can call it a theory if you like but I can tell you it is 100% the case that locking up peoples freedom of choice over selling their property will scare large numbers out of the market, it's just obvious.

Anyone arguing otherwise is just engaging in short term thinking either because they are in genuine fear of evictions in the near term which is understandable or because they are politicians responsible for the fall out with an eye on the election.

This isn't a solution, it will mean less units available for rent in the longer term, anyone who isn't renting, i.e. most of the politicians involved, clearly don't have the long term good of the housing market in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The hope would be that 10% CPI is temporary. Yet of now things like cost of replacement vacuum cleaners, washing machines, dryers (students use them too much when clothes lines are nearly always good), microwaves, ovens, mortgage repayment (if applicable), insurance, maintenance, repairs have increased. 10% can be harsh as I doubt many except a politician or banker or NAMA builder or senior civil servant will see increases of that sort to their income. Yet 2% is not reasonable. The CPI is general measure of price increases and can have strange exclusions. I wonder to what degree it minimises the rate. Also depending on a how person lives inflation for them can be greater or less than 10%.

Perhaps a rate splitting the difference can be adjudicated by a panel of actual experts who look at how costs are and what can be afforded.

Yet hitching the rate to inflation or some similar measure just can push rent up particularly when the supply is very limited and perhaps still shrinking with a government flying kites for something that should be unconstitutional. If someone decides to stop paying rent (altho seeking and checking references screens out most head the balls), it can be months and a lot of expense. Part of me isn't certain that this is the right question. An arbitrary and ever growing body of poorly designed and unevenly enforced tenancy law and the sheer inefficiency of ABP (who failed repeatedly to approve or deny fast track applications), unneeded and unfair tax breaks for foreign investors (who gobble most land and only offer accommodation to high income people), means the supply of accommodation is not going to increase sufficiently. Politicising rent rates can make the rent rate inelastic, which would not happen if the market worked properly. Likely our dear quangocrats will try make a mess of the rent a room scheme. Something that works okay probably angers them.

You seek a percentage increase on the total rental income for landlords by basing it on a reference to CPI referring to increase in cost.

The CPI is 10% but the majority of costs for landlords are fixed.

What proportion of your own rental income is going towards things that are increasing with inflation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

MYOB

If you were like your name sake you'd realise that costs are not exactly fixed, even those things an account might class as fixed costs like mortgage or insurance. LPT will increase, and likely a lot as our rulers know it's not something easily evaded. Mortgage and insurance are under the heading of fixed costs but those are rising in these times. It would be nice if something under variable costs only at a fixed timed and the plumber, carpet fitter, or tiler or painter charged a very definite amount. Those costs are normally relatively small if a place isn't wrecked, but those variable costs increase, and they do for everyone with a place they own. 2% just means the market will be eventually left to those who operate outside the rules, rent a room, B & Bs and foreign investors, council housing for the 'new Irish,' and so on. Rent control does not work except to guarantee a lack of investment and a shrinking market supply. Other solutions overseas to rentals require attitudes that do not, cannot exist in this country. The hassle from the incompetent RTB needs to be underlined (and nothing happens to those who just ignore it) for it has its simps here, who must work for that worthless lot.

It was a simple question. What proportion of your rental income is going towards expenses related to that housing that increase with inflation? 10%, 50%, 90%, 110%?

Is it that you don't want to say because you understand the logical point I'm making and you don't like it, or that you just don't know? I'm not expecting an exact precise answer like 57.1342%. Just a rough idea.

That question isn't consistent with the highly professional landlord model you seem to promote and hold in high esteem.....

If they are fully professional all of their income comes from rent and all of their living costs are subject to CPI, al of their income should adjust with CPI. At a minimum they should get something matching the public sector pay deal? You tell me.

• Advertisement

Mother of God, you're clearly unaware of (or wish to downplay) the proliferation of tax reliefs and deductibles available to landlords. Broken items or fixtures in a property isn't pleasant but you needn't fret, because the exchequer will give you a dig-out. For any poster giving out about the risk of being a landlord, the government over the years puts its hand in its pocket in a big way to make it as risk free endevour as is possible without cutting landlords a cheque for breathing.

A non-exhaustive list...

Mortgage Interest: You can claim 100% of the interest as a deduction against your rental income(!!!)

Pre-letting expenses: if your property has been vacant for 12 months, expenses incurred in that 12 month period may be offset against your rental income in the period you next let out the property. A a cap of €5,000 applies

Writing off Assets: 12.5% per annum over 8 years of the cost of qualifying assets that you purchase for your property. These can include, bathroom, furniture, kitchen

Mortgage Protection Policies: if you have taken out a mortgage protection insurance policy, revenue will allow this as a deduction against your rental income

Repairs and other costs associated with the upkeep of the property, painting, roof repairs etc. 

Rent: if you are a landlord who may have a combined rent/mortgage with a local authority and are subsequently renting out property the rent portion is an allowable deduction

Management Fees: if the tenant is not paying the management fees you can claim these against your rental income

Costs that your tenant may leave you with:  e.g if your tenant leaves you with an unpaid ESB bill, this can be claimed

Insurance costs that you are obliged to pay, Public Liability/Fire cover etc

Professional fees: Pay your Accountant and write off their fees

PRTB Registeration fees: Can be claimed against rental income

Yet the whinge will continue...

Lol. So your argument for justification an increase in a passive investment is that your living expenses have gotten higher and you want more money. It's a commercial situation in the real world - not you begging your parents to bump up your pocket money because Cadburys increased their prices.

I think you just don't understand the question. Or, as I said, maybe you don't actually know the answer. Which I'm not surprised at, but it is a little worrying that you would be continuing along blindly and then crying for the State to guarantee your income and bail you out later if the sh1t hits the fan.

CPI? See post about tax relief, landlords are already subsidised out the wazoo.

You want landlording to be playing capitalism and free money with zero risk. Landlords are already extremely well looked after in this country. Time to grow up.

I think you need to re-read the post. I said based on what you promote your question is not consistent.

I didn't ask for anything I'm just pointing out your logical inconsistencies.

Which to be honest is a full time job so I'll have to leave it there.

You're just frantically throwing out word salad there. You were asked a simple question which what proportion of the rental income that you receive from your property is spent on expenses from that property which are subject to inflation?

Do you understand what a question is? Ironically, given that the answer appears to be "no", there is probably no point in me asking that one either!

If you can get that far, can you please enlighten us as to how asking a question is "not consistent" with whatever position you are imagining in your head alongside fantasies of State seizures of property and making selling property illegal.

In response to your comment about FDI, here's an article that might give you food for thought. If you think international investors relying on both Irish and international labour like having to have to jack up salaries to keep their staff housed, or indeed staff attrition for internationally footloose workers who have had enough of housing precarity in Ireland is good for the economy....well, I don't know what to tell you...

The article is usefully illustrated by a boarded up housing unit, likeley owned by an individual with strong opinion about any measures that "interfere" with his property rights.

You're trying to reverse engineer a boogyman point about property rights spooking FDI, when the reality is the current landlord's charter is what's spooking FDI. You don't have to believe me, take a look at what the American Chamber of Commerce have to say, what the French Embassy said of late.

You're not arguing in favour of the common economic good, you're arguing in an absolutist manner for a narrow strata and sector of the economy, namely buy-to-let landlords who just want to sweat their asset, who want a legal and regulatory regime to maximize it. Everything else be damned.

EDIT: Your comment that it's "none of my business" why people sell in a free society is revelatory by the way. I was making the blindingly obvious observation that landlords were selling because of high-water-mark-prices. That it's completely obvious and not because of "onerous" regulations seems to send you into a tailspin.

If anyone is reverse engineering a boogyman it's you, trying to blame private landlords for the housing crisis and suggesting that they are responsible for shouldering the burden of long term housing for the state. You also have some magical idea that once someone enters into a short term lease agreement it becomes their forever home. Simply not the case under any existing law or legislation. There is plenty of scope to have long term lease agreements between landlord and tenant under existing legislation, if landlords are not keen on entering into those and want to exit the market they should be free to do so and not have their property seized by stealth changes.

Removing property rights is not a solution to anything, it's political desperation stemming from years of bad policy decisions.

I've given you an obvious example where we need short term rentals, you've first suggested that it would be good for people who are foolish enough to rent out short term to spend some time homeless to get a taste for what it's like and now you are pivoting to a new argument on FDI.

I agree that a housing crisis is not good for FDI, but I don't agree that private landlords are responsible for the housing crisis.

No sensible person would make that argument.

I understand your question but I'm pointing out that it isn't consistent with your view that we need professional service providing landlords.

The cost of professional services goes up with inflation. You can't have your cake and eat it.

The last thing we need is widespread rent increases at the moment, but I don't get why you are asking this question/ what it has to do with this topic of the eviction ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Well I’m glad I am no longer a landlord and I feel no shame in owning up to not being cut out for it. I only ever had one tenant and it wasn’t a good experience.

So I’ve gone down the Airbnb route and I absolutely love it and they love me and the house based on all the reviews so far.

• Advertisement

My question was "do you know what percentage of your rental income is needed for costs (associated with that rental property) that increase with inflation" ..... you appear to indicate that professionals shouldn't be able to answer that question ......

Advertisement