Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Someone actually mentioned this on some programme I was listening to in the car on the way home recently, but of course the idea was shot down immediately by another panelist shouting how it would be "racist".

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Subversive forces are at work in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Barbara Lerner Spectre calls for destruction of Christian European ethnic societies.

It's all just one big coincidence though, right?

We really need to redefine the term racist and remove all the American social science bs from it. Considering that a large portion of our migrant population is from Eastern Europe/Russia, any such checkpoint would affect White people as much as it would any other ethnicity. And the obstacle to their entry would be on the lack of visas rather than their ethnicity.

The fact is that shouting racism is so often used to shutdown solutions to problems (without effective alternative solutions being proposed). It's depressing that we've allowed ourselves to become so easily treated like sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Lads, you'd be better of taking the Jew stuff to the Palestine threads, where you've a license to say anything you want about them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's more just people seeing through BS and calling racism out for what it is. The racist is usually too scared to be forthright in their opinion and instead tries to be racist without being overtly racist but instead of being subtle they are being very obvious and their own ego prevents them from seeing themselves how other people see them.

Having an in-group preference is not racist, racial or ethnic in group preference is a completely natural instinct to have and something that people of non European heritage know instinctively.

The massive outgroup preference we have been conditioned to have is utterly unnatural and nihilistic.

Exposed when people who make that argument say people like Paul McGrath are not a part of the "in group preference". Stuff like that has been posted. You can just say you prefer white people instead but you don't have the courage to say that I'm sure. You and I have more in common with McGrath and others like him born and raised here and people who have come here and become naturalised and lived here for a long time than some random lad in a Polish town somewhere or some random lad in Germany or whatever.

Courage? I literally said its ok to have a racial or ethnic in group preference. Not sure why you think courage is necessary to have such an opinion that's shared by I would say the majority of people worldwide. There's nothing controversial about it.

There is a reason white flight happens. There are many examples of it happening. And the reasons it happens are obvious.

Post edited by Miadhc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That's the thing about in group preference, it doesn't even have to be racial to be true. The closer you are to your roots, and the culture you know, the better things flow. I prefer the Irish over the English because I'm Irish, I prefer people from Connacht over people from Leinster because I'm from Connacht, and so on and so on. Neither of those judgment surround supremacy and are more about my own personal comfort. Am I racist against the English or the people of Leinster for what I've said? Or even bigoted? No, I simply have a preference for the other. Yet when it comes to non nationals, using the same logic will get you called all sort of negative things.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

So you don't like non white people, even the likes of Paul McGrath, just because they are not white. Fair enough.

You didn't say that though right? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It goes without saying that other groups do this too. I don’t think they are racist for doing it. I have sat at birthday parties for small children where parents from same country would stick together and speak their home language. If you met them individually they would talk away to you in English.

If you see yourself as superior or above another group that is a whole different ballgame and isn’t right. I hate talk of such and such country being a kip because it stinks of thinking your superior to people from that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Have to laugh watching the news.

Students looking for a rent freeze and more money towards rent. Christ I never went to college but I know the main reason that they are sleeping in tents and on sofas.

The countries accommodation is all taken up by immigrants and refugees. With no sign of it stopping.

No point with rent freeze or extra money when there is no accommodation.

Jesus if you want to make a statement on the news, at least do it truthfully.

Whereas I prefer Asians to just about every other ethnic group. Oh, I see all the negatives associated with their cultures, but there's a brutal honesty to the way they behave, and the incredibly awkward way they try to disguise it. It's so cute! Simplicity pandering as complexity.

Everyone has their preferences... and anyone who claims otherwise isn't being honest. There's a reason we all tend to tense up when seeing a group of guys late at night on a deserted street. Just as we might have the same or stronger reaction from a group of black guys. And little to no reaction from a group of Asian guys. The reasons are pretty clear to everyone because we can recognise the threats involved in association with such groups.

There's a desire by some to whitewash the world into the most simplistic notions of Black/White, Good/Bad, and with no space for any amount of Greyness. Which is usually where the "thought police" come into play, and the need for indoctrination so that everyone is conditioned to believe in the "right" kind of values and thoughts.

The simple truth is that most people are racist in some way.. when the term racism can include culture, as well as ethnicity (I'd be somewhat "racist" towards Traveller culture). It shouldn't be a stick to beat people over the head with.. especially since the people who tend to bitch so much about racism, seem to hate their own ethnicity, going out of their way to focus on the negatives at every given opportunity.

The funny thing for me is that the most common expressions of racism that I've seen were in foreign countries. In Africa and Asia. This racism was so common that it was accepted within mainstream society, and approved by government policy (with people being surprised or justifying it when pointed out to them). Which is why I tend to laugh quite a bit when I hear foreigners complain about racism in Ireland.. because it's a very "lite" version in comparison to their own societies (and often their own beliefs towards their particular disliked cultures)

Ever hear the Spanish talk about North Africans? Or people (either ethnicity) from South Africa talk about other African tribal groups? Or African Americans talk about Hispanics in the US? Or the N.Koreans about Black people? Or Russians about Asians? Or... haha. I think people would be hardpressed to find a nation/national group that didn't have their racial preferences, and dislikes.

It's part of the reason... but not the whole reason. The government plays a huge role in all of this, with their preferential tax policies for companies/corporations, and their ever increasing taxes/regulations on small landlords. The government has ensured that many small landlords are no longer offering their properties to students, because there's no value in doing so.

Blaming immigrants for the rental crisis is far too simplistic. This has been building for over a decade, and TBH, goes back almost two decades, due to the policies of governments towards small landlords.

Rent freezes actually force landlords out of the market. My own parents have stopped renting out their property because as they're not first time property owners, the rent is frozen at the price from two years ago.. which sounds great for the tenant, but absolutely kills the landlord as the State taxes don't compensate for this, nor do the banks regarding mortgages. All the while the costs for services in the area have risen because other houses aren't frozen and companies expect landlord to be able to afford the increases. For example, I used to own a house in Cork, which I rented out. From the housing estate of 16 houses, 14 were rented out and we were all on the same mailing list as landlords. Now, only two are rented out. That's 14 houses gone from the rental market. And I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happening all over the country, as people stop renting their places out in the hopes that it forces something to change for the better. Better for the landlords, that is. It's just not worth the costs and hassle anymore, even when the profits can be so high (without rent freezes).

As for students, the university system has always been messed up in Ireland. I really think we should have adopted the same system you see in Asia, with huge dormitories housing males/females separately, and subsidized by the State. Those who want to live off-campus can, but it's a cost effective way to get through the university period, and keeps you close to your areas to study. Not going to happen though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We have pretty much zero idea what the "majority of people" think about this. When Russia's murderous war kicked off and Ukrainian refugees started to come here in number from a clear warzone and danger an Irish Times poll showed 50% of Irish people would house a Ukrainian refugee, with the caveat of if they had the room. Fine. That left 50% who wouldn't, and that's a pretty clearcut case of people, the vast majority being women, children and the vulnerable fleeing war. Ask the same question of Georgian, Somali and other scammers country shopping and ripping up ID's in Irish airports and see the results. Ask the same about O'Gorman's shout out to extra EU migrants and offers of homes when we have a huge crisis in homing our own and see the results.

The only time the Irish people had a vote on a direct issue with extra EU immigration over the Jus Soli loophole 79% voted to close it. Would you be nearly so confident of a vote put to the Irish electorate around limiting the numbers of extra EU asylum seekers? I'd be very happy to see such a vote put to us, I doubt you'd be so enthusiastic.

Currently the biggest percentage of scammers, sorry "people fleeing unsafe countries", are Georgians. When something like a 100,000 Russians have recently fled to "unsafe" Georgia, but never mind... Last time I checked they were just as pale as Irish people, so good luck with waving the racism flag around there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Good points, but still the massive increase in immigrants and refugees is definitely having a massive impact on prices and availability. So why is this not highlighted. To me its just another example of how alot that's wrong with this country cannot be highlighted or talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sure they are talking about a right to housing been brought in.

Houses for anyone who wants one.

Fun times ahead.

Irish nurses and doctors leaving hhe country as nowhere to live.

Replaced by South African nurses and doctors no doubt….

Nothing wrong with highlighting it but placing the blame on immigration/refugees isn't the answer.

There's a lot wrong with this country, and most of it rests with the lack of an independent media willing to ask the hard questions, and demand answers for them. In many ways, we've never really moved away from the censorship that existed in my parents and grandparents time. Rather than ban discussion of various topics, they're just never discussed, except from a particular viewpoint. ie. the glowing positives. It's the same community silence that we see in China, or other authoritarian societies, where the media is controlled and the average person is effectively silenced, by the culture around them.

It's like the addict or depressed person who keeps saying "I'm fine" again and again, when they're anything but fine. That's the problem with Irish society. We're in denial. We had the taste of being an effective/efficient prosperous society, and we're desperate to maintain the illusion that it continues to this day.

• Advertisement

Fun times ahead is putting it mildly.

Waiting for the first housing or hotel disaster to happen then you will see fun times. To many people being accommodated to quickly for proper safety guidelines and checking to be happening, and if people think not the amount of saety regulations,guidelines and so on must of been a money racket before.

To be fair, the doctors and nurses isn't a particularly good example, as they've always headed abroad for seasoning. Most Irish doctors, surgeons, nurses ended up in Canada, Australia etc, even during the boom times, and there being plenty of housing around. Our hospitals have always had a large number of foreign "consultants" and nurses.

As for the right to housing, our political elite are hellbent on destroying the Irish economy, and ensuring a return to the 1950s. All these rights that need to be paid for, and little consideration for how they're going to be paid for. Little to no attention given to the practical sides of the promises made, or the consequences for the rake of taxation that they propose to place on Irish people.

Sure how could you expect any country to get a grip on housing, health care, education etc when you're adding thousands to the population each week and the biggest majority of these are in need of all three mentioned above. So do you think that the open borders policy that this country has at the moment isn't one of the biggest factors why we're where we are today. Because I certainly do. If you have a leaking bucket, adding more and more water to it will make you think its okay but the leaking will only get worse and worse.

Your problem is you generalise too much and you think people are a monolith. "the xx people talking about the xx people". Lets take for example someone assuming that as an Irish person that I dislike English people because "Did you ever hear Irish people talking about English people". It would be an erroneous assumption because I take people as they come as individuals and don't live in the past. So I have no issue with English people and in fact one of my best mates has served in the British Army, but you would operate under the presumption that I do have an issue because some Irish people have. It's offensive really. Most Irish people are moving on and take people as they come. Most people meet a person and judge that person as an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Why do they not put the responsibility on the airlines to check passports as the passengers are disembarking? Because they are strict enough checking the visas of passengers departing Ireland. And of course, airlines have the complete details of all their passengers, regardless of who presents at passport control.

Well.. here's the thing. I gave up on Irish politicians or governments getting grip with any of those issues long ago. Ireland has gone through a number of boom periods with record breaking economic success, and during those periods the same services continued to degrade. Attention was merely shifted away from these issues to something else with vague promises that the problems would be addressed. They never have been and never will be.. At least, not with the manner of governance that exists in Ireland as it is.

And Ireland doesn't have open borders. It has badly managed borders. There's a difference.

Oh, I'm not arguing for more immigration. I believe we should stop with the current population, manage those we already have, and seek to resolve the issues thrown up by our European neighbours but are only starting to appear here now. Naturally, that doesn't mean closing our borders and stopping all immigration. It merely means stopping all the unskilled labour, and tightening up on the management of all visa types, such as student visas.. and with a severe attitude towards deporting those who break our laws. (which includes anyone who stays past an expired visa or enters without one).

As for housing, I've always felt this attitude towards houses rather than tower apartments to be utterly retarded. The planning/building restrictions should be overhauled, and the type of tower blocks common in Asia should be built, properly managed, and occupants vetted to ensure that we don't have a rehash of the Ghettoization that the UK suffered through. But in addition to that, Dubliners should be told to cop the F on, and if you can't afford to live in the expensive parts of the city near your mammy, then, live out in the countryside and commute to work. The idea that commuting is so terrible is another retarded notion, and usually by people who have never experienced the commuting experiences of living in major cities in other countries. In Xi'an, I used to travel an hour each day by subway just to see my girlfriend... once you get used to it, it's not that bad a way to live. Alas, we have a society where people are constantly entitled to something "better", easier, or more convenient. Meh. Time for Irish people to start facing up to some simple realities. Dublin has grown too big, is too damn expensive (even for a capital city), and most of those homeless there should be seeking accommodation elsewhere in the country. (and not expect the government to provide social housing in Dublin so they can stay)

I was wondering the same thing. In fact, I was wondering about the checking of passports when boarding a flight. Every flight I've ever taken, the crew checks the tickets and passport before entry into the bridge to the plane. Seems reasonable to assume that those details would be available to Dublin airport in determining who is flying (long before arrival).. and when they arrive in Dublin, the "loss" of documentation wouldn't matter.

As I said before, someone has skin in the game, because the many ways to counter all these undocumented seems rather obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, it seems to be a deliberate "hole" left in the procedure. Anyone presenting at passport control without documents, having obviously come off a flight, should be held until positive identification is made. For sure, there are many airports where you would not get away with claiming you had "lost" your documents. I remember well a Finnish friend of mine visited me in Moscow one time. When we got to my apartment, I asked were all his document OK, and he showed me his passport. It had no entry stamp on it, or visa. He had hopped onto a train in Finland and simply stepped off in Moscow....no one asked him for his passport. So, I took his passport to give it to the company and warned him not to step outside the apartment until his passport was sorted. For a whole week, he never left the flat. And that's how serious ID is taken in that part of the world, but, for sure it's not the only one.

Yeah, I don't see it working out well for anyone in China, Singapore or Japan. They'll politely deport your ass. And rightly so.

TBH I feel that western nations are hellbent on destroying their own prosperity, ignoring all the common sense that speaks out against such interests.

• Advertisement

100% klaz. I totally agree with immigration if it is for the benefit of the country and to fill services and places in which were lacking. Totally in agreement with you also as I have totally no faith in the past or present government in be serious about trying to sort out issues like housing or health. But here is my fear and hopes. I hope in the future we will see a government who will put it's citizens first and be serious about trying to fix housing, health and education etc.(can't see it happening by the way when we're still ruled from Brussels).

I fear the way we are letting in hundreds of thousands a year into the country and not knowing who or where some of these people have come from is going to leave it totally impossible for any government to fix anything as the country is f##ked.imo serious opinion it's not far off that now.

What ever about health, housing and education one service that is seriously lacking is law enforcement, and that’s one were going to need the most in the future if we carry on with open borders policy.

Advertisement