Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there hostility towards centrists on social media?

Options
  • 14-10-2022 12:26am

Is it because they appear to be devils' advocates? Fence sitters? Bothsides-ers?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Could it be they know their own minds and stay quiet?

instead of being loud mouth shouters from either side of the fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think of myself as a centrist, in the Blair, Macron, Clinton, Lapid mould.

I don't think its about fence sitting at all, its more about building concensus, pragmatism, bringing people with you.

I would also approve of different ideological elements from both left and right; conservative fiscal policy, pro-enterprise and minimal regulation, making work pay.

But also a significant welfare safety net for when its needed, free healthcare, free education right up to third level, State built and owned housing etc. Also social liberalism around womens healthcare, personal rights and secularism.

The two aren't contradictory. A successful tax policy to benefit from the former pays for the latter, in my opinion.

Its about keeping everyone moving forward and ensuring opportunity for everyone who will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They're out of fashion in today's polarised world

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wonder then why more are returning to power in the democratic World just now, than leaving it.

Yeah, some people can't stand it if you're not strictly aligned with one "side" and have no tolerance for extremists on the right or left. Whereas it's surely healthier to stand back and take a broader view (obviously within reason - there are times when of course you'll only take one view).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Centrist's are dying out, it's all one side of the extreme now

Yeah people are saying centrists are dying out, but I think most people are in the centre - it's just the extremists who are the most vocal on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Centrists are usually former leftists in their youth who after getting some life experience re-evaluate their political opinions. Unfortunately the modern leftists regard anyone not in their mould as racist transphobes but they are very foolish people.

Centrists are usually former leftists in their youth who after getting some life experience re-evaluate their political opinions.

Totally untrue.

Studies have shown that political beliefs remain remarkably constant across time.

The notion that people get more conservative as they age is just that, a notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the modern leftists regard anyone not in their mould as racist transphobes

These are incredibly lazy generalizations.

• Advertisement

Being in the centre is a difficult spot because you naturally anger both extremes. And there's a lack of maturity and a lack of ability to control emotions that has resulted from people expressing most of these types of opinions online. It's often easier to just not bother getting involved when it comes up in real life.

I think you all have a rather narrow view of what being a centralist might entail.

You don't have to stick to the centre all the time. Most centralists that I know, myself included, tend to swing left or right on certain issues. I'd be rather strongly on the right side of things in terms of criminal punishment, and swing to the left regarding disability benefits under a welfare system. Being a centralist simply means that you don't consider yourself fixed into a left/right mentality on issues.

You're applying the same Black/White fixed position mentality that the extreme left/right social groups employ.

It's often easier to just not bother getting involved when it comes up in real life.

I'd second this, because people have become remarkably intolerant of others having opposing views on issues, and take offense that others won't agree with them. Considering how much "effort" has been expended in promoting a more fair and equal society, the various groups have ensured a less tolerant, patient, or openminded society. It really isn't worth the bother of engaging with people in real life on most issues. Which is why, thankfully, we have boards. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think that's what annoys the hard left and moderate left so much. There are slim picking in finding actual raving Far right they had to cast the net to Issues that could be far right like immigration. Ofc Far right will not want Johnny foreigner but most centrists I know would be for a point system or actually skills needed to come via visas.

I supported gay marriage equality but not the alphabet stuff. Again far right would be against both. I think social housing is the sign of a functioning wester society. Far right again would not. I supported genuine refuges from Ukraine but at this stage were getting swamped the only viable solution is a cap. Far right against all immigration. Not to be mistake with cheap labour that right leaning business men like.

I blame the likes of Twitter. It polarized option on the fact you could only use so many characters. That's bread people into just being black and white.

I like to think my left and right views balance out in the middle. Rehabilitation for first-time offenders but repeat violent offenders must fight to the death and their organs be harvested. That sort of thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And by the same logic, modern rightists are slackjawed, mouthbreathing Nazis.

The thing with centrism is that left and right see things as a false dichotomy where you're either friend or foe. The UK Labour party is a great example. The Corbynistas and the Blairites loathe each other though the latter at least has the justification of knowing that the far left just got the worst electoral result since the 1930s.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I think the main problem people have with centrists is that they insist on dealing with reality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Ideological Purity is the scourge of the left really, people in the centre aren't "left enough" and are therefore castigated and labelled as right wing.

I don't think this phenomenon exists as much on the right, indeed it is mostly left, moderate left and far left wingers who have the real issue with Centrists, resorting to name-calling

I don't think this phenomenon exists as much on the right

Really, they don't go labelling everyone who doesn't ascribe to their own particularly c*ntish brand of politics as "libtard", "Woke", "leftist", "Cuck" or whichever other puerile adjective they are using on that particular day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What are we talking about?

If its supposed to be a serious political discussion then a bit of a red flag when you put it in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

In order to get your attention Social Media is designed to amplify controversial and more extreme sides of a debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What is the deal with someone who starts this thread and also this thread....

The inevitable next question — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Is this on a commission basis?

Come on boards.ie what is happening here.....

Yeah, really. I think the right find it easier to coalesce and "put up with" differences to enable them to take power. Sure, they use those labels but I don't think they aim them (as much) at centrists. They prefer to embrace the centre than push it away, in my opinion.

I may as well fly my own colours here - 100% left on issues like LGBTQ, soft drug legalisation, pretty much social issues. Also on social welfare, I think it's a good thing but I think it should be more targetted to people who want to work instead of lifers.

I'd be more centrist (or to the right, if you like) on things like crime, especially for repeat offenders and people who commit heinous crimes.

I usually take time to digest any issue and make my mind up, rather than take ideological cues from others.

I had this experience with my American friend recently, the same one I've mentioned plenty of times over the years. In the middle of a drunken rampage, he called me a Nazi who is sucking Putin's d*ck because I had the audacity to disagree with his repeated statement that all Russian people deserve to die. I was also called a sexist racist by two other Americans for preferring Bernie Sanders over Hillary.

When people talk about the mental left who label everyone who doesn't agree with them, that's the type that's being talked about. They believe they have a monopoly on morality and anyone who falls outside of it is the spawn of the devil. It's a small minority, but they're very loud, and unlike the far right, they and their beliefs are socially acceptable.

I never use the term woke but I've come to think it means the zeal of the convert. That guy used to be generally right-wing, but because of a relationship, swung so far left that anyone who hasn't gone as far as him is a sinner. Like how narrow does your world view have to be that you have to agree that all Russians deserve to die or you are a Russia-sympathiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Is there a problem with centrists on social media?

What is it specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

They are the most condescending smug pr1cks you will ever come across. If I were in a room with a centrist a fascist and a loaded gun with 2 bullets I'd shoot the centrist twice. They provide a cloak to fascism they are the acceptable face of neo liberalism.

They are the melts you see with Ukrainian flags and EU flags in their bios anything that is popular they will support. They support the Ukrainian proxy bomb attack on the bridge in Crimea yet pretend to be horrified by the IRA proxy bomb attack in Derry. They belt out Ireland's call but are horrified by Celtic Symphony and they are obsessed with respectability.

They constantly advocate for NATO's wars but would never join up themselves oh no the actual fighting and dying is to be done by working class young men none of Jason O Mahony's or Brigid Laffan's or Keith Mills or Cllr McManus's etc family will die in the dirt of Eastern Ukraine.

Post edited by Scoundrel on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are the one with the problem so explain yourself to us. Why do you feel the need to live in a world where people must either agree with you or not. What insecurity makes you unable to deal with people who are indifferent to your opinions? We can’t laugh at you if you don’t open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's happening on the right too, see the GOP with their RINO's.

Both sides (heh) have their complete hypocrites as well, for every Herschel Walker there's an Andrew Cuomo.

The left tends to be quicker to get rid of the hypocrites while slower to drop electoral losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

Blairs war in Iraq and all the dead kids isn't that centralist.

I find they take each issue as it comes without any overarching direction.

centralists are fence sitters for the most part as they hold little opinion other than consensus.

people who go with the herd. Irish Times devotees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So you think being a herald of fascism is bad but actual fascism is fine? Odd way of thinking.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement