Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I recently booked the Enniskillen lads, having delayed all year for various reasons.

I think I got a good price @ €10.5k for a 6kwp system with a 5kwh battery and an EDDI. Installation is the middle of next year, though 😦

I asked them for 2 extra panels and was quoted an additional €1k. Their pricing seems strange, don't think I'll be getting the additional panels at that price.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

SEAI noting that prices have increased by about a third in the last year. They are also quoting a guide price of €1,666 per kWp (on a small system, to be fair).

Thankfully recent examples here have shown that the €1,200 per kWp can still be achieved (albeit on larger systems).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Did you get that quote recently?

I got an updated qoute from last year, same size system as yours.

Last year sas 11500 before grant

This year 15600

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

What you generally see is that those who are offered extra panels at around 200/250 will still pay more EUR per kw installed than you with an extra panel for 400eur

Do they not have to honour the first quote given to you?

Mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

Hi all, haven't engaged on this forum before. Started looking into solar a few months ago. I've gotten 2 very different quotes over the last week for a 7.2kwp system:

Quote 1:

Size 7.2 kW

Panel Leapton 400w

Inverter Solis hybrid 6 kW

Cost 8,700 after grant - Dyness 5.1 kWbattery is an additional 3.500

Quote 2:

Size 7.2 kW

Panel Sunpower 400w

Inverter Huawei 5 kw

Cost: 13,500 - Huawei battery another 5,500!

Tempted to go with the first one, significantly better than other quotes i have received and the company seems reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Not bad john, could try argue battery price down!

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

Possibly, there are so many variables it's hard to know.

I think the best advice for people going through the decision process is not to assume that you'll be able to add extra panels for ~€250 on the day, if space permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Quote 1 all the way. Good job in getting that. Site inspection and haggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I have a Givenergy inverter and happy with the stability and configurability. Also they have an API if you are interested in tinkering.

Oversizing the array in relation to the inverter is a standard practice, guideline is 10-20% - you'll find a lot of discussion on the interwebs.

That's it!

Plus fitters are struggling sourcing panels at the moment......

Last year also had €600 grant for the battery. Its a sellers market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Got the exact same spec as your no.1 yesterday, but €560 more.

Requested 5 quotes, only one back so far. Good to know I am not far off at quote 1.

What sort of lead time do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

Didn't get a specific lead time for this quote I've assumed it may be after March next year, judging by all the other quote I've gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 workerlass

We are thinking of installing solar panels, have got quotes, prices are very high. Located in West of Ireland.

Anyone any feedback on huawei V solis inverter brand, huawei battery V weco battery. Is it normal to pay 50% deposit up front?

can someone forward contact details for Enniskillen lads

Option 1: 20 * longi 410w panels totalling 8.2kWp; 1 * huawei 6kw inverter; 5kw huawei battery; cost - €18300 excluding SEAI grant.

Option 2: 20 * longi 410w panels totalling 8.2kWP; 1 * solis 6kw inverter; 5.3kw Weco battery; Cost €16,800 excluding SEAI grant.

Option 3: 22 * jinko 415w panels totalling 9.13kw; 1 * huawei 6kw inverter; 5kw huawei battery; cost €19200 excluding SEAI Grant.

would appreciate any feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

All 3 quotes are way too high.

Huawei Batteries and inverters are very expensive and are not compatible with other brands. With a Solis inverter you can use Dyness,Pylontech or other brand batteries which makes both a whole lot cheaper but not necessarily any less good quality.

Check out the Installer thread below,for details of the Enniskillen lads.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Had the same experience with our supplier. Got an extra two panels it cost €350 each fitted. Retail at the time was €200 on midsummer but there was no budging them. Was pissed I didn’t just go bigger at the start but was learning from here at the time…..and still learning. Saving the planet isn’t cheap.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 5 workerlass

Prices seem to be on the increase at the moment. I’ve contacted the enniskillen company for a quote, will be interesting to see what they come back with

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shanoh

Hi everyone. Thanks for excellent information on here. Am wondering if anyone has got good quotes for bigger than average systems, now that the limit is gone

I use 25kWh per day / 9,000kWh per year so about double average, due to heat pump and EV. This will rise soon.

I understand from reading here that a 6kW inverter is the max you can put into a single phase home? And about 9kW of panels. The EU calculator tells me that would give around 8,500kWh per year. I have space for more panels but am I correct in saying there is no point as the inverter can't handle more than that? Or is there any way around it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

A three phase connection. Is required to have an inverter larger than 6kv. You’d would need to contact Esb networks who could potentially supply a 3phase connection. This would allow you join the scheme for larger generators but the cost could be prohibitive.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

You have at least two options that I am aware of if you want to connect over 6kW. You can apply via the NC7 form which allows up to 17kVa in single phase; this would be dependent on a site survey from ESB networks; and there is also an application fee of 977 euro and it’s only open in batches of 500 so you have to be paying attention. I have personally used this to connect a 10kVa inverter so I know how the process works in detail. I was one of the first people to apply (right place at right time). If you only have a 12kVa standard service you might also need to upgrade that to a 16kVa enhanced connection to have a better chance of getting something bigger approved.

The other option is that you can install an export limiting device that will prevent you from exporting more than a set limit (say 6kVA) while still allowing you to have a bigger inverter. Not sure how you apply for this but i believe it is an option as I know a business locally that has this implementation.

There are other options like having a SolarEdge system which allows 200% oversizing on the panels; so if you had 6kVA inverter you could have 12kwh panels. The inverter will clip (throw away) anything above the 6 though. UNLESS you also have a DC battery connected to the inverter; in this case you could be generating 10k at your panels 6k of which would be inverted to AC for use in the home and the other 4k could be used directly as DC to charge the battery. This type of setup is also possible in a huawei setup; and probably several other manufacturers; I just don’t have any hands on experience with others so I can’t say.

Here is where I am with the cost of the system I am installing at home right now:

Size 8.4 kW (20 Panels)

Panel: 20 x Jinko Solar 420W Tiger Neo N-type 54Cell AB

Inverter: 1 x Huawei SUN2000L 6KTL-L1

Mounting: Ground Mount (Ground Works Needed)

Battery: Huawei LUNA2000 (10kWh)

Backup Power: Huawei single phase Backup Box

Cost: 14000 (16500 - 2400 Grant)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shanoh

This is great advice, thanks a million. I will shop around for a few quotes and if I see anything interesting I will post here. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

anyone starting to see domestic new builds slowing down/ stopping due to rising prices ?

Comparing current quotes for Solar vs what they were about a year back, and thinking that maybe we are heading for a construction slowdown - I am wondering if we will see prices for installations getting a bit more reasonable in the near future .. ?

The way solar is going up I would have trouble recommending at the moment. Insane pricing and installation delays would put anyone off it.

I kills me to say it but its starting to not be cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

i see a lot of new builds around where we are in estates and they have 4 or 5 max panels on the roof.. i know its better than nothing but surely be more cost effective to add more during the building process? sorry if off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Its all about hitting the ber requirements. You might be amazed how cheap people can be after shelling out 700K on a new house. A few more panels is still a few more euro. When we bought our new build you could pay for a few extras such as different paint or a tap outside or better ethernet, after a couple phases they stopped all that, too much hassle with people. Also up till recently there where planning restrictions.

Making friends with the trades people is always handy, and for a few extra euros direct you might be able to get some this or that done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Hey, I know you're hesitating even saying it but it's different for everyone. I feel it's of benefit still. Once people side-step the gougers. The best time to plant a tree is 10 years ago, the next be time is today. Similar here? Energy prices are only going one way, IMO.

Why do we focus on the ROI / payback on solar? That would be laughable if we told someone there was a ‘payback’ on anything else we own. So from the house down to what’s in it, or imagine an ROI on a car. They are costs you can’t recover (bar if you sold a house for more than you paid, including costs to update it and mortgage fees).

Say you hit 1euro a unit for power, or more, is it more viable then? That’s not as mad as it sounds. Community Power are 70c (and I applaud what they are trying to do for micro generation but too expensive for me to support). Flogas are 52c…

Secondly, there’s not just the cost aspect. I get a huge amount of comfort that our family are doing the little we can for a cleaner world. So EV and solar. That ‘subtracts’ a lot of climate anxiety from our family.

Sure, I paid more than people did 6-12 months before me as demand is huge now and labour has gone up. The whole world wants solar, not just little Ireland. So stock is hard to get. Shipping prices globally are rising… But I paid less for the kit than others who bought many years ago as the kit cost has dropped hugely. 

Our small setup (5kWp) is largely covering the power for the house and EV. It's helping heat the house with electric rads so means gas hasn't been turned on yet. FIT is a very healthy ~15c. If anything, we're gonna add more at home

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement