Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New naked gun movie with Liam Neeson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Always got the two mixed up anyway, name wise. They should play that up in the marketing.

is this real?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OJ is free to make his comeback he is now a free man.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hmmm I have my doubts about this one...I like a big Liam but he needs to be a bit more selective with his projects...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Leslie Nielson =>Liam Neeson...they are trying to cod me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I get the idea: He plays SUCH a straight-man. But, I don't know, I can't see him saying "Don't call me Shirley"

Edit: What am I saying: That was "Airplane". Nevermind

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Weird language in the article; it kinda reads like its trying to tie the success of Top Gun Maverick with the momentum on this reboot.

Wasn't a reboot I was expecting though: the big studio comedy seems a bit dead these days, as are reboots thereof I'd have said.

Liam Neeson is an interesting enough choice; he has appeared in comedies, but usually playing it razor-straight - Naked Gun asks for something different. Easy to forget Leslie Nielson's success as a comic-actor was born from a prior career as a boilerplate "serious" actor - usually playing figures of authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭OU812

I think I'd like to see him play a different character to Frank Drebbin though. The ultra tough cop.

Don't forget Naked Gun was "From the files of police squad"

If he's playing Drebbin, it's a reboot, if he's a different character it's a spin off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Know what, it has the potential to work. Look you're never gonna beat Leslie Neilsen however Hollywood is gonna remake it. Talk about it for years even Ed Helms at one point.

Liam Neeson would be a good choice. Has the whole dead serious thing down. If you're gonna cast anyone he would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

He really needs to play this like Michael Caine did in a muppet Christmas Carol. Take it as seriously as possible.

I don't think it's possible thought to surpass what nielsen did in the first two naked gun films though. Genuinely my favourite comedies of all time, endlessly quotable. Just great films. And nielson was just perfect in that role.

If anyone is going to do this, I think Neeson is actually a smashing choice. I am reminded of that Aids skit he did in the Ricky Gervais show (the name escapes me) with Warwick Davis which was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From Michael Collins to Frank Drebin, interesting choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

He was great as Good Cop/Bad Cop in the Lego Movie (also as his Mam and Dad)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im going to go against the grain here and say I believe that it will work with him. If you have seen his sketches in Extras, he can play the straight man in a comedy very well.

Remember Leslie Nielsen was very much known for being a serious actor before he landed Police Squad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Agree with you here, he has to play it straight it won't work otherwise.

Those first two naked gun films are brilliant...up there with Airplane as the funniest films of all time (and he was in that one too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/paul-walter-hauser-joins-the-new-naked-gun-film/

He is going to be playing Ed so I guess this means that Neeson is Frank Drebin and not his son as was reported.

I’ve always preferred Police Squad! to the movies. The films repeated a lot of the gags from the series and in the series all the actors played it straight like you folks are saying Neeson should do. In the films it was more slapstick like when he accidentally burned the villains office.

I would never have thought of Neeson in the role but now I’m looking forward to him saying “cigarette” and introducing himself as “Sergeant Frank Drebin, detective lieutenant Police Squad” :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Liam Neeson is surprisingly good at the deadpan comedy, he's great in Extras but that bit in Ted 2 was super funny as well.

Really it'll come down to the script, and how they try play the comedy. It's been a very long time since I've seen a good spoof comedy - last one that comes to mind is Scary Movie 3.

But there's been tons of them after that, almost all of them universally awful. Scary Movie 4 was passable I'd say, but the likes of SM5, Starving Games, Breaking Wind, Disaster/Epic movie, etc are just atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pamela Anderson as Jane, that is surprising, lead female role

Kevin Durand is to play one of the villains

Seth MacFarlane is producing

Jonathan Majors and Damon Wayans Jnr were linked to the role of Nordberg

Advertisement