Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I hope you're right. It's the only way I can see them saving themselves

It’s a real opportunity now for the county to build a bulwark against what has been and continues to be a drift toward a dystopian, Handmaids Tale type society that this current cabinet represents. If we don’t do so (and voting reform is part of that), then the drift will just continue after a pause in which the right will regroup and strategise.

Incidentally, I think that an elected HoL would be a disaster. We’d just end up with partisanship in both houses (and an elected upper house would demand more power than just to scrutinise and delay), and the result would be regular policy paralysis like in the USA. The solution, IMO, is stricter criteria for appointment based on professional (not political) background, expertise, diversity and balance of opinion, maybe presided over by an independent body.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The HoL is already partisan.

Fixed term would be a start. Perhaps there could be an annual election of candidates elected by the HoC of 10% of their number, so a ten year term for each one elected. Each MP would have one STV vote from a list proposed by a committee of the HoL, HoC, and the devolved administrations. [Bad luck England does not have a devolved assembly].

I am sure there are much better ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think "sidelining the monarch for PR purposes" will go down well with the core Tory vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well a long term question about the validity of these meetings while parliament sits. Should an unelected head of state really have these meetings.

• Advertisement

Every prime minister said that these meetings are really useful. But that was with the late Queen, when they could tap her vast knowledge of constitutional issues and what previous PMs had done in similar situations. Don’t know the depth of knowledge that Charles has, but I would guess he’s been well prepared and has been immersed in these by his mother for many years. I think when they stop being useful to the PM on a consistent basis, they’d wither and die.

But I’ve heard literally every PM (other than Boris), at one time or another, say how productive they were

Right but the point is that the monarch isn't elected yet has this huge access to the PM.

This lack of democracy may cause an issue with Charlie.

And I got the impression Prime Ministers did these meetings out of courtesy and respect for the Queen but didn't give a toss what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also not a long term question the average Tory voter is going to agree with you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Looks like the Tories are going to ditch Truss and replace her with Sunak and Mordaunt. Three PMs is 6 months would be an absolute joke and beyond that, how can someone just rejected by the party hove any legitimacy as PM?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've seen the tattle; if they do that then the cries for a General Election must become a clamour impossible to ignore. Sure, the elections don't directly elect a Prime Minister but there's also an understanding that the winning party gets to call dibs. You can just about justify one changing of the guard - but another? PM Sunak himself could be rightly called into question, and may be forced to call a GE as one of his first acts.

• Advertisement

Sunak would be better off rejecting being installed as PM under the current circumstances and call for a GE now. The Tories might actually win back some support if they show some humility and respect for the electorate, while Sunak could play the "putting the country first" card.

There probably isn't time to run off a GE this side of Christmas (not on a timetable many would be happy with anyway) so maybe he becomes an interim PM on the understanding that there will be a GE in January. He could then claim he steadied the ship after Truss almost sunk it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yvette Cooper sums up Braverman's embarrasing tenure as Home Sec...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

Either get rid of the monarchy or keep these meetings. If someone is hea dof state they should be informed of what is going on. Liz already tried to sneak on Charles' little tour

And let's be fair, the unelected bit isn't the issue for Liz. An elected one will also think she is an idiot and will have more of a mandate to talk about politics instead of leaving it at sly remarks.

Chancellor is sacked. Liz could also be doomed.

Talk of Sunak and Mordant replacing them. Mordant is crap as well. More trouble if she's in charge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I can't see Sunak accepting the position; it would be tying yourself to the Titanic after it's confirmed to have crashed into the iceberg. Better to wait for Liz to crash out completly and then make a bid to come in and be the "return to normality" PM option instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sunak being offered that job would be scarily analogous to that time that Homer Simpson became Sanitation Commissioner, after running as a populist, made a balls of it and then tried to get the previous, competent guy to clean up his mess (who declined the offer with great satisfaction).

Seems as though she thinks she can stay on as PM despite having no credibility whatsoever. Kwarteng carrying the can even though these were as much her policies as his. Surely nobody would be stupid enough to become Chancellor under her, it would be a death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wow, the UK descending into farce, how long can Liz last after sacking her biggest backer for a scheme they agreed together? Utter mayhem, asleep at the wheel, going the wrong way down the motorway. It's a complete mess over there. Shocking stuff!

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is absolutely no way she can bring Sunak in as Chancellor. She may as well just quit if this is her plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sunak wouldn't take the job, he has too much common sense. She'll have to dredge the barrel to find someone for chancellor. I can't see her lasting more than a week personally, 2 weeks at the outside. Then there will have to be an election, you can't foist a 3rd PM 2 of which have been unelected on the British public.....

Times reporting that it’s going to be Jeremy Hunt

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would bet a lot of Tory MPs are turning their phones off, terrified the might get a job offer from Liz Truss. 😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Confirmed now. What a total omnishambles. Truss must surely be next once the realisation dawns that Kwarteng's departure won't be enough to halt the economic bleeding.

A new PM cannot possibly have a credible mandate for action though; the 3rd leader after an election with historic unpopularity across the board? It's beyond ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The Tories need to disappear for a long time

I doubt Kwarteng is going to go quietly. He musty be embarrassed and angry. I look forward to seeing what parting shots he will take

Apparent Chris Philp, chief secretary to the Treasury, is also on his way out. Truss presumably trying her best now to distance herself from this whole mess. I really can't see it working at all. The stink is going to follow her; I can't see how it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Booster -n chief Chris Philip is also supposed to be out.

The danger for Truss now is that in bringing in some grown ups to manage things, she'll alienate the headbangers on her right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

This is fantastic watching the Tories implode.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Advertisement