Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming/office chairs

Options
  • 11-10-2022 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure if this should go in the Gaming or PC or Home sections

Anyway, after working from home for the past 3 years like many folks, my back has started complaining that my current office chair is not up to the job

So it's time for an upgrade, and I'm looking for any recommendations people have on gaming/office chairs

A friend got an X rocker years ago and it was really comfortable, so I'd consider one of their office chairs if they're also as good

I also liked the look of the Razer chairs, even if they're a bit on the expensive side

Wasn't mad on the IKEA ones, they didn't look particularly comfortable

So if anyone has any opinions on the ones above, or other recommendations please let me know.

One caveat, it does need to be a proper office chair that you can sit up straight. Recliners are nice but not really suitable for working at a desk

Ultimately, I'm looking for something really comfortable. If it costs a bit of more then I'm fine with that, saves on the physiotherapist costs

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly, you are going to have to try them before you decide. Go to somewhere that has them and you can try them out and then pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I kinda suspect going for a test sit would be the best plan.

Any idea where is good to look? I was probably gonna try Smyth's and the likes of Curry's or Harvey Norman.

Any other shops that are good for gaming chairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I got an office chair from IKEA during lockdown.

Think it was 200 quid. Can't stand it and my lower back was painful after it.

I think you need to spend a lot of money on a good chair AND sit in it correctly.

I'm using a simple hard kitchen chair now and it's so much better for an office chair.

I've been in one of the basic IKEA office chairs for a few years, full time since COVID hit

It's okay, but I could definitely do with something more comfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Knowing a budget would also help. I got a Steelcase series 2 for ~550 in an amazon sale. Ad claimed it was used but still had tags and was fully wrapped.

There are probably diminishing returns after the 800 euro mark, but you can also get ok office chairs for under 250.

I'd be willing to spend around the 500 mark for a good chair, going over 800 is probably unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

I use Steelcase V2 i got a good few years ago as a refurb on Ebay for about 350€ I think

If I was buying again i'd probably go with the Gesture along with a headrest option

Don't buy the clown chairs streamers are paid to use, they're garbage. Spend your money where you spend your time. Bed, Couch, chairs

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

I dont agree with the "clown chairs" comment,some of them are fantastic chairs,a bit of research needed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I'd highly recommend Secret Labs chairs; I bought the 'Omega' Batman special edition in 2020 for €380 and it's a phenomenally well built, highly adjustable and very comfortable chair.

They only seem to do it in the more expensive 'Titan' model these days (currently reduced): Secretlab TITAN 2020 Gaming Chair | Secretlab EU

They've lots of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

I'll second that. I bought the Titan XL last year as some of my friends recommended them. Built like a tank and very comfortable with great lumbar support. Pricey but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Second this.

I used a Herman Miller Aeron for about ten years in an office but now find a simple dining chair works better with my home setup.

More design (and money) doesn't always improve things! Experiment with what you have.

The best thing about the dining chair is that it doesn't move along the floor. I must be doing something weird with leg bracing, because I had to reglue the legs (of the chair) as the forces were pushing it apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Whodanoob

Does anyone know if the Ryu chair on Harvey Norman is any good? I can't find any reviews. It has a big discount ATM. I was thinking about looking in Jysk today too. https://www.harveynorman.ie/furniture/home-office-en-2/office-chairs/ryu-gaming-chair-black-and-red.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one..

I am in the market for a new chair. I used an IKEA Markus for many years but ended up giving it away as it was causing me issues with my back and posture. Also the arm rests were awful and I hated them from day one.

A few months ago I "upgraded" to a second-hand Humansale Diffrient World office chair as I wanted something more upscale in terms of ergonomics and this was relatively cheap at 150. I hate it. It's so creaky and loud and I miss the large back and headrest from the Markus. It's not comfortable to sit in for long periods of time.

I've been reviewing the BTOD Ranked lists on YouTube such as the one they uploaded a couple days ago: https://youtu.be/YOd125qi8Og

However trying to find almost any chair on that list is proving impossible as almost all of them are not available in Ireland. It feels like my only options are some no-name brand on Amazon, IKEA or Secretlab.

I like the look of the Secretlab and the sentiment on boards.ie and friends of mine is mostly positive. However the comments in the BTOD video makes me question spending 500 quid on an ergonomically-questionable chair.

They have similar comments on the IKEA range of chairs including both the MARKUS and JÄRVFJÄLLET, and speaking from experience with the Markus I would rather avoid another IKEA chair.

Is everyone just defaulting to Secretlab due to sheer lack of better options?

I actually never went ahead and replaced the chair, decided to go on holiday instead 😂

I think the main issue for me is that I don't trust any chairs I haven't sat in, everyone is a bit different so it's difficult to take anyone else's opinion

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've got a SecretLab Titan Evo a couple of years ago and it was genuinely a life changer. I was started to get some twinges in my back and they disappeared almost overnight after I got this chair. I am fat. Very fat :) Currently at 135kg (150 when I got the chair) and it's never felt like the chair was anything except rock solid even with the chair in a near "horizontal" configuration. I'm also 6 feet tall, but that's not really a factor, the height and everything are adjustable. Only fault, a couple of weeks ago, the cover material on the left armrest split and so I've had to tape it up till I can replace it (they do sell replacements). There's a thread with several other recommendations is here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058177221/chair-for-big-fella

Advertisement