Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Almost hit a cyclist this morning when he swung out into the 'wrong' side of the road from behind a bus on the bus and cycles only lane on the North Strand. The trouble is, there is only room for a bus, so cyclists should stay behind the bus until the road widens and it is safe to pass, not swing out a metre on to my side of the road and give me an underwear incident.

I got an awful fright. At least he had the wit to get straight back in behind the bus, but really, it was a very stupid move to be making. I see taxis at it too and they take up the whole of the outward lane, crossing the solid white line

They really need to get the police down there for a week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, the few times I've driven into town, I've gone in and out on the Ballybough route, because it's still dangerous on the Amiens Street route.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I never thought fairview/marino mart, was a a problem to cycle, it should not be there is plenty of room to have a cycle lane off the road using the path and even the park there - the issue I found was further on on North Strand! being a bit more congested..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

There's always stupid people not paying attention, who have no idea these drivers are being assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd say it's the worst place to cycle in Dublin maybe. Going out of town especially along where Bru is and where Marino College is and the turn onto Malahide Road. Couldn't be worse for cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...but according to what many people have posted on facebook and elsewhere, there is a perfectly good cycle path going along and through the park so I don't know what you are moaning about if you get killed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well you can't go through it at night for one and you have to cross the road when coming out of town to get into it and then cross over again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Closed at after dark (early in Winter) and not well lit, so that's a problem. The footpath outside the park often has cars parked on it and is quite narrow for pedestrians and cyclists to share at parts (particularly around the footbridge). The infrastructure upgrade was definitely needed, made sense to do it the same time as the Bus Connects and Irish Water works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That pedestrian crossing sequence is bloody daft as well, especially coming from the park side. Can take a good few minutes to get across with the way it's done.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The road leading from Gaffeney's pub to the turn at Malahide road northbound is a death trap, the Bus lane is super narrow, there's a number of cars who double park or badly park at the Tesco, and at the college there's always a number of private cars who jump into the left side turn early, so better to go up Fairview ave.

• Advertisement

The thing is there is Space along the park - either shave off a few meters of the park along side the road, for - perhaps better lighting and keeping a route from after westwood gym, and/or the Howth road and/or malahide road junction to the annesley road bridge.

What exactly are you suggesting? Something different than's already planned?

If you want to take more of the park, it probably requires felling trees, and people do not want trees taken down for a cycle path.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, the current plan was arrived at after much, Much, MUCH consultation. People didn't like taking the trees, so they came up with a compromise, the path that's currently there will turn into the cycle lane, and then a new pedestrian path will be built inside the park.

That's right, despite all the whining from drivers about how they should just be taking some of the park and leaving the lanes alone, they actually did take some of the park. The amount of people who think that all this disruption is from a simple cycle lane is unreal. I've even had people continuing to complain about the cycle lane, even after telling them that most of the work is for the vital water main.

They don't want to listen, and they'll just keep complaining about the cycle lane.

I think it's actually going to slow my commute down, but it's not about making it better for just me. It's going to encourage more people who otherwise wouldn't have used the route. And it's also part of making Fairview park safer and more appealing to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Bus stop 617 inbound on North Strand was closed yesterday. I'll not in the city at the moment to see the impact (if any).

I was passionately against removing this stop. Does anyone here have any info on this? Were the Firestation or FiveLamps stops busier etc ?.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If anything I would say they were much less busy, considering the numbers of small streets on both sides of the road 617 serves all day.

The Fire Station stop is busy with people alighting in the morning to go to East Point, but quite regularly empty. Again, no consultation with residents.

We were told it would be temporarily removed for the works (along with the car spaces) and reinstated afterwards, when what is actually happening is they are taking it away.

Yep they are removing 7x bus stops permanently. I took it up with local councillors and TDs but got nowhere.

The 2.5km C2CC route represents only 1% of the broader Bus Connects plan to upgrade bus lanes. Good luck to DCC upgrading the other 99% if are going to operate like this - removing stops by stealth without consultation with residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The did it without consultation, yet you knew about it from the consultation?

The changes were well marked in the plans, they even did a document highlighting the stops that were changing/removing

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2022-09/C2CC%20Bus%20Stops%201.pdf

I didn't say I knew about this from consultation??????

The document you linked was issued on August 31st 2022, a couple of months after works commenced. There was no mention of it prior to this. Plans issued as recently as March 2022 showed the current stops as-is.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the timeline, there's a bus stop 250m either side of that one isn't there? What's the logic for keeping it? You've at most (for the people living exactly equidistant), added 250m to their commute, they're getting a bus so it's not like their destination is door to door like a taxi anyway, they'll be walking when they get off the other side.

That particular poster thinks that that is too far. What people who cannot walk this distance do when they get into town is not clear

It's 300m either side actually.

The globally recommended guidelines for bus stop spacing is 400m. North Strand gets 600m, 50% higher than guidelines.

Obviously you're going to respond that guidelines are based on nothing, therefore they should be ignored. I've accepted these stops are gone, so let's move on.

Do you also think it's good planning that the bus stop at Preston Street is being removed despite Irish Rail having submitted planning to open a new Connolly entrance at.... you guessed it .....Preston Street?........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Retaining stop 675 at Preston Street would have made more sense than retaining stop 619 which is really too close to the preceding stop on the other side of the Five Lamps.

But what’s done is done at this stage.

What's done is done indeed.

At this stage, what amazes me is that no one seems to take issue with DCC breaking guidelines by 50% without any consultation, proper notice or providing any data whatsoever that justifies why they broke guidelines.

Stop 617 is 267 and 282 each side if you're being pedantic. It's a 2 minute walk for anyone that's going to be walking around town when they get there anyway. Think of how many people that impacts versus everyone coming inbound through those stops that has to sit through another stop and start of the bus. As my teacher used to say, if I waste 1 minute of class time, and there's 30 people in the class so I've really waster 30 minutes.

That's not the system of government we live in tho, whenever there's a decision to be made, we don't ask everyone to vote, we have elected representatives to guide these departments that make decisions. they do consultations for the big ticket items, it'd be impractical to do it every time a change was made to plans.

If you're going to be pedantic at least get it right. You referred to the old red numbers instead of the green ones which show a new spacing of 592m between those stops.

I would argue that the permanent removal of a bus stop is a very important issue for the people it impacts. For a Luas stop, an enormous amount of consultation and planning goes into stop positioning, but DCC have a free hand to do what they like. I'm not okay with that. Most people here seem to be, which is fine.

They are shutting off the water again next week too. Seems that wasn't a once off, or temporary either.

They also dump their vans and various pieces of plant in our street (no parking paid for of course). Why they choose the shortest street in the area I don't know.

More than another year of this sh1te ahead.

Either making the existing cycle lane which is on pavement on the east side of the road a little bit bigger, either by adding a bit from the park. Or using one of the routes (howth road to annesley bridge) inside the park as the cycle lane - putting it on the road way adds volume which could be avoided. Would not require that much trimming of the trees!

• Advertisement

The existing cycle lane is shared with a pedestrian footpath and therefore is not a good idea. This is the same with the cycle path through the park.

In addition, the route through the park would deter many potential cyclists due to the perceived lack of safety at night.

Also, you were proposing (if I'm not mistaken) that outbound cyclists should cross the six lane road twice to access your proposed cycle path. The time spent waiting to cross once would probably be the same time it would take them to cycle along the road!

Your ideas have all been considered and discussed and turned down due to various impracticalities.

Have you cycled along either of those tracks and what was your experience like?

Advertisement