Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Did you watch the TV series The Terror with Ciaran Hinds and Jared Harris? Highly recommend it if not.

I'm currently reading Dune. I'm enjoying it, but it's not exactly a page-turner.

Up next will be John Connolly's The Furies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Really enjoyed both Erebus the book and the terror tv show. "Icebound in the arctic - Francis Crozier and the Franklin expedition" is a decent read also albeit not at the level of the Erebus book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theascended

I am near the end of the fourth book ("The story of the lost child") of Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferante. I don't even know where to start, so I'll just say - you must read these books!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I haven't no. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Exit Stage Left: The Curious Afterlife of Pop Stars by Nick Duerden

Interviews former musicians long after their careers have ended.

Just finished the first one - Peter Perrett of The Only Ones. Junkie for most of his life after creating some great music many moons ago, including this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDD5SeHxXE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've posted in here a few times about them.

Incredible novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theascended

I couldn't make myself watch, I just love the books too much! Perhaps I should 🙂

The Squad by T. Ryle Dwyer

This book charts the history of Michael Collins' infamous Squad and the main man himself.

Anything by Iain Banks is an outstanding, mind-opening, read.

• Advertisement

I’m reading, On The Front Line - The Collected Journalism of Marie Colvin.

A collection of this remarkable journalist’s work for The Sunday Times over 25 years as a correspondent from some of the most war torn areas of our recent history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HookForeLeft

Just finished reading 'The Wise Mans Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. Struggled thru parts but good overall.

Just started 'American Prometheus' which is about J. Robert Oppenheimer's rise and fall from grace.

Pretty excited to start it which may explain the struggle thru T.W.M.F.

Finally finished Dune. Can't say I'd be rushing out to buy any of the follow-ups.

Started The Lost Girls by Heather Young yesterday and am bet into it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

The Forgiven by Lawrence Osbourne very good look at the morals of western society and how debauched we have become as against the simplicity of the Berbers / Muslims in Morocco.

Also just fininished The Fourth Time We Drowned, irish journalist superb study of the refugees migationary journeys and the awful corruption of the NGO's the UN & the EU well worth a read. The holding pens in Libya the abuse of the refugees the awful treatment sometimes no food or even water so many died and even the families dont know they are dead. Read it and be humbled.

I recently read the Ireland's Own Michael Collins Souvenir special.

It was a very nicely thought out magazine which charts his family's history from the Famine right up to his burial and his impact on cinema and music in the modern age.

I have been finding it hard recently to motivate myself to sit down and read a book so this was a nice little escape. I have still only managed to get through the first 100 pages of book three of Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series and have the remaining four sitting on my bookcase. I am determined that I will read them before disposing of them but I find any old excuse to not do so. Maybe I should read 100 pages, then reward myself with reading a book that I want to and perhaps I might just get through them that way.

Why the Germans Do It Better: Notes from a Grown-Up Country by John Kampfner.

Warlock by Wilbur Smith

Finally finished this pile of rubbish (but have the other 4 books in this series to go). The first two books saw every female character (and 99% of the time underage) being reduced to nothing more than what their breasts are like but this third book decided that fanny's and pubes should get equal mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

After parking The Dark Tower after Book 1 many years ago, a book which I struggled to read, I gave the second book a go after picking it up in the local library. Half way through it now and hooked.

A big fan of Stephen King, probably my favourite author, so looking forward to seeing how this story develops.

Listen To Me by Tess Gerritsen

Another brilliant Rizzoli & Isles crime thriller. I was surprised when I saw this in the bookshop (I had gone in to get Kathy Reichs latest offering Cold Cold Bones) as I was pretty sure that Gerritsen had said a few years ago that she was finished with Rizzoli & Isles so this was much welcomed.

I have finished season 1 of The Terror and nearly done with season 2. I didn't realise that it wasn't based 100% on the established facts so when they all started dying in the manner that they did on the show I was bamboozled 🤣 But great recommendation, thank you so much, I'm hooked on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just finished ‘The Invention of Sound’ by Chuck Palahniuk. Best thing he’s written in a while.

Sort of reminiscent of ‘Lullaby’, one of his earlier works, but still good in its own right.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Billy Connolly's Tall Tales and Wee Stories. I loved Windswept & Interesting and this is even funnier. Consistently laughing out loud while reading it.

I also recently read Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides, Stephen King's Fairy Tale and John Connolly's The Furies.

#1 was well-written but ultimately dissatisfying in terms of plot.

#2 was quite reminiscent of The Talisman and parts of the Dark Tower series, imo.

#3 was a bit John Connolly-by-numbers. He can definitely get a bit formulaic. I think he needs to write something that isn't about Charlie Parker/Angel & Louis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Fires of Lust: Sex in the Middle Ages by Katherine Harvey

Pirate Queens: The Lives of Anne Bonny & Mary Read by Rebecca Alexandra Simon

I am really interested in the life of Anne Bonny so I was beyond excited when I heard that a book had been written dedicated to the pirate in question. However, I am fairly disappointed with this book. I found that I was often thinking that I had read the same line in the previous 5/6 paragraphs and in some cases, in previous chapters. I also think that the editing of the book was poorly done as at times sentences did not make sense. It read as though sentences were being cut but that they either cut into other sentences or left part of the desired deleted words, with the result of incomprehensible text.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Three castles burning by Donal Fallon, an excellent book just the kind of pick-and-mix history social history I like.

That's a bit mad because I had the EXACT same thoughts about Anne Chambers' book about Grace O'Malley - literally repetitive and very poorly edited. Wonder is it the same publisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thanks for the review, I've been a BS fan for years, was considering Tall Tales, pushing the button now.

Yes, that's true. I had read Anne Chambers and thought the same as you.

Chambers was published by Gill and Simon by Pen & Sword History.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I have no mouth and I must scream by Harlan Ellison. Just finished it so I’m off to look at pictures of kittens and rainbows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm currently reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

I read it first in my late teens and thought it was a masterpiece.

I stayed away from it for years for fear of disappointment as I matured.

40+ years later I can confirm it is a masterpiece.

The book could loosely be classed as science fiction and is (very) loosely about his experience as a prisoner in Dresden during WW2.

Advertisement