Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

If there is a river you can fence off, the riparian zone might be an option, 1500/ha up to max of 2 ha I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

If a farmer owns less than 8ha so is he not eligible to apply for the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You can apply for other actions and probably this one up to the 8 Hectares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GeraniumFox

Much of the success of the new glas will be down to farmers coming up with smart ways to grow their own farm scores.

I was with REAP and i have to say i enjoyed it and looking to get on acres tranche 2 when i can. Its the first scheme that suits my land to be honest. Ive alway kept as low a stocking rate as possible because weve alway had off farm work taking up my families time. I wouldnt want to be relying on agri payments!

I love a good green field! I love a healthy clean looking herd too. But what i hate is rushy "improved" fields that need lots of maintainence work, will always be wet, and has a "neither here nor there" appearance and grass yield performance.

So i have my driest green fields and they are where i target my money for improvement and grass production. On the other end of the farm, in the older unimproved pastures, im aiming to enhance the nature there. I intend to do it well too and i know it will take time.

I know the new acres type scheme is not for everyone, but it suits me and what ive always would have liked for my family farm (properly buzzing with wildlife), but never felt the push to just do it due to lack of funds and incentive.

Post edited by GeraniumFox on

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Seems to be a hugh variation in fees been charged for acres scheme .charges of 800 for initial plan and 700 per year was quoted by one planner with a potential of 4200 acres payment.seems very excessive as planner only needs to come out to the farm a maximum of 3 times for the duration of the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Seeing as gov have made the planners gatekeepers of a sort you would think there would be an agreed maximum fee or recommended fee schedule etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Silverdream

yeah it seems high alright. But worse still is farmers cannot even get access to a planner at the moment. It's an absolute farce. Next year we'll see 70% or more of farms without a GLAS or Acres payment.

Are the IFA, ICMSA etc fast asleep or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

They are asleep. Brain dead scheme that will bring in a lot less in one year than an average monthly take home pay would. I won't be touching acres.

Tbh, I'm kind of thinking about it...not all actions....... probably come to no more than 3-4k but potentially having to beg planners to do it is probably going to put me off it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Department should be covering planners fee's on it.farmer's wouldn't be paying a planner, were it not for a scheme, so same difference, only farmer's get to keep the money & spend it locally, which much of it would in any event & help sustain employment locally & contribute a tax return to state.

Department dealing with them would get a more honest rate from them, same as them paying farm vets for t.b testing when's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I signed up today. I mainly focused on planting new hedges and coppicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Got a letter from Dept of Housing,Local Govt and Heritage today. Probably like good few other landowners.From what I can make out from content it’s saying Commanage we have a share on on side of Mt is getting a ‘formal designation of Complex Special Area of Conservation’

It was recognised as an existing SAC previously.

Just wondering is this ‘formal designation’ advantageous as regards priority level to try and join new ACRES scheme?

Thanks for any replies. I get my planning done through Teagasc but it’s proving very difficult to get a chance to talk to my planner.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Is that not the softening up prior to breaking the news that they are going re-wetring the whole SAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Think you might have a typo in reply ‘re-wetring’

if that stands for re-wetting they will do well to rewet dry ground on steep side of mountain.

One possibility I could see would be them saying you could have to reduce stocking levels on Commanage……but that’s not mentioned at all and it’s a 7 page letter……that lists out all types of flora and fauna on the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Does ACRES conflict with BPS?

If I widen a 500m ditch by 2m under ACRES will I get penalized by BPS for reducing grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Landscape features like Hedges, scrub etc. now count within BPS according to the new rules on the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭kincaid

Ryan is a Gobshite, biggest hypocrite in the country, just too many rules and regulations and just trying to put farmers from farming really, if I don't get it I'll go intensive to the max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭kincaid

as one farmer beside me who never goes into these schemes said he didnt want to draw these feckers onto him and he keeps the place in good shape

just doesnt like these idiots from the dept who know feck all anyway telling him what he should and should not do on his own farm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Jb1989

If he had the same logic during the reps era, there's a good chance he lost easy money, what ever about the later schemes.

Im open to the idiots calling the shots, if the calculator, shows it leaves profit in my pocket.

My farm need to make profit end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Dunedin

same here. If the place is kept right then there’s very little for them to find. They’ll always find something as they have to justify their visit but generally it’s not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Have many here had their consultant on yet? Having awful trouble getting a hold of mine - don't mind even getting them out or sitting down with them to try and figure out what's best to do.

I'm finding it hard to get definitive answers on what can and can't be done....

On the face of it the rules and regs seem mosyly straightforward (and for done thkngs I think they are)... but when you get into the nitty gritty of some things.....no one seems to be able to give a definite answer

Dept sent me a text asking if I had any questions last week.....I read your document, attended your webinar, submitted my question and got no response...so yeah I do but I'm not sure asking it would be all that productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Had my consultant out in fairness he is good never really leaves you waiting long, think he may not have a huge amount of clients....or should i now call him my ex consultant as i am not in the scheme, i'm disgusted have been in either REPS or GLAS for the last 20 years. As i have very small acreage what i use to get from whatever scheme was enabling me to maybe break even. Basically i would have got in to ACRES as i am in Tier 1 due to be in a breeding wader area but there was no measures i could implement to get any worthwhile money so its pointless what i would get would actually be gone in advisor fees and tax. My opinion is its a complete balls of a thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With the last 6-7 years more and more money was siphoned out of schemes to pay consultants, vets etc.

The discussion groups you had to get a vet to do a herd health plan 150-200 euro and join the ICBF another 65 euro a third of the money gone. So basically about 100/ meeting.

The last GLAS a lot of lads were allowed LIPP with ryegrass, I was not. Scheme was about 1750 euro/ year nearly 700 for the plan and 500 for the he nutrient plan. Bird, batt, bee boxes and sand 450 euro approx. I was getting about 600 from LESS. I was lucky I did not have to fence the water course as it was already fenced. I did get 100 M of hedge laid that I wanted to get done.

This time around if the fees go up ( and I expect they will ) and there is a yearly or biennial visit costing 400 euro it will not be economical to join because like you it will be costing me money.

Mind you consultants are partly to blame as they just signed up lads last time

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

893bet posted a link to the acres scheme a few pages back. After reading the fine print on some of the measures that might have worked for me I am even more convinced that acres is a sack of sh1te.

Here are 2 examples;

Riparian zone, I was in GLAS and reps, had a riparian zone fenced off, but because I opted to stay in GLAS for the extra year I can’t use it for acres. It had to be declared as grassland in this year’s bps to qualify for acres. So that’s out.

Dry stone walls, there’s a good bit of walls on my land, but because mortar was used in their construction they are out as it has to be a dry stone wall.

It looks to me that there was no farmer input into drawing this up at all, it’s just being shoved down our necks from above and we can take it or leave it. Well I am out on this one.

I don’t know what the problem is, perhaps EU is not happy with the way previous environmental schemes have not delivered on habitat preservation or enhancement, but we are the people at grassroots level. They need to cop on that if an environmental scheme doesn’t work for us then it won’t work for anyone else either.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have the CP area rules been agreed yet, supposed to be a hold up there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I have chatted my advisor a few times. Not open for applications so he’s coy enough so far and hasn’t did the farm visit yet

I was getting about €3600 from glas. WBC cost about €250 to sow all in and no annual charge from advisor.

so will join acres on same basis of the LIPP (€200ha non results basis) and WBC - that’s the plan anyways…….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭endainoz

After checking agfood for registering interest, I'm now apparently in a CP zone, still undecided on what I'll do but will at least look into it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I am joining the Acres scheme . My plan was to plant close to the maximum amount of hedge row . My fields are very exposed and little shelter for the lambs. My Planner just advised me that my farm is designated " Breeders Waders " and that I am not allow plant hedges as they would provide cover for the predators of the Waders. Have any of you heard of this. Do you know when it was designated I planted hedges in the REAP scheme and I thought hedge planting would be encouraged for the benefits to the environment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

AFAIK If its designated then you will get priority access to ACRES without needing other measures

Advertisement